Evan Lysacek press conference | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek press conference

SusanAtLifeskate

Rinkside
Hi all -- This is the entire transcript of Evan's teleconference yesterday (which I attended). There are a couple of threads already about Hersh's articles as he selected some choice quotes, but I thought a lot of what Evan said was interesting, i.e. there is no perfection any more, camera angle on his triple axel, etc., so I started a new one. (Dear admin, if this should be merged with one of Hersh's threads, please do so. Thanks!) Today I'm going to transcribe Johnny's teleconference (which was also very good).
http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/evan-lysacek/

Like many skaters, you also got a little bit of mixed feedback on your costume for the long program. I wonder if you've made a change there.

Lysacek: "Yes, I have."

The skate gods heard my prayer! :bow: Now I can watch the men's competition! :biggrin:

But the callers always choose a few things that they're gonna kind of nitpick on and for the first couple of competitions of the year, that was what it was and it was mainly because of camera angles. So that's something that we did some digging, and found out, and had many top-level people from the U.S. come out and help me as possible, and we sort of got it down to, the reasoning being the camera angle. So we changed the angle,...

I wonder who exactly is "we." Did Lysacek and the "top level people in the U.S." that he consulted somehow persuade the ISU -- or the television networks! -- to change the placement of their cameras to make his triple Axel look like its not pre-rotated after all?

enlight78

Medalist
The skate gods heard my prayer! :bow: Now I can watch the men's competition! :biggrin:

I wonder who exactly is "we." Did Lysacek and the "top level people in the U.S." that he consulted somehow persuade the ISU -- or the television networks! -- to change the placement of their cameras to make his triple Axel look like its not pre-rotated after all?

Maybe they change where they but the axel in the program. I wonder how did they come to the conclusion it was the camera angle. Did they compare all camera's and all angles. The angles could just happen to be "bad" two competitions in a row. I find it odd he feels the callers were nitpicking on UR early in the season( the same time he competed) and has tapered off later. Miki Ando GPF?
I don't know if this is denial or hope that if he make it to worlds URs will be overlooked.

Nice to read his views on himself. He mentions Johnny and others who have improved and he hope he has too. and praise to be, he did not mention rivalry.

As for me, I'm really only interested in the sport of figure skating, and not much else. I give a cursory reading of these things and their Web pages about personal likes and dislikes. Even when training is mentioned, I resort to ok, let's see it in competition.

My best to Evan. He is a first class competitor and I look forward to watching his improvements for the season.

Star85

Rinkside
It's nice to see a thread about Evan where they aren't bashing him, and praising Johnny. I haven't been on golden skate very long, but in the forum I used to go to, it was common to see that :frown:. I like Evan AND Johnny.

I thought Evan spoke very thoughtfully, and diplomatically. I liked what he had to say. :) I'm also glad a big sponser like ATnT has picked up figure skating!

merrybari

Final Flight
I thought Evan spoke very thoughtfully, and diplomatically. I liked what he had to say. :) I'm also glad a big sponser like ATnT has picked up figure skating!

I agree.

Also, I didn't at all get the sense that anyone tried to put pressure on ISU to change the position of the cameras. What I did understand was that they adjusted the jump placement in the program to get a more accurate visual.

Personally, I hate the use of the slo-mo cameras in the first place. That's where it gets too nit-picky for me. If a trained judge and/or tech caller can't tell with the naked eye, imo, it doesn't matter.

I agree also that Evan is a first class competitor and look forward to seeing what he brings to the ice in Cleveland.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Pre-rotation is not an error on the Axel. It was the look of under-rotation on the landing that they were calling.

So is Evan saying that if he, say, does his Axel going across the ice instead to the long way that it will be harder for the camera to catch the underrotation? Is this like doing the Lutz in the corner farthest away from the judges so it will be hard to see the edge?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
So is Evan saying that if he, say, does his Axel going across the ice instead to the long way that it will be harder for the camera to catch the underrotation?

It doesn't really matter how he does it in Cleveland, IMO. Worlds, is a different story.