Identify Theft - Beware!! | Golden Skate

Identify Theft - Beware!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My husband was recently a victim of identity theft and did not even know about it for a few days until his credit union contacted him and informed him that someone from a business he had frequented had "skimmed" his debit card and helped themselves to a couple of hundred bucks from his account. He (my hubby) thinks it was the Tim Horton's coffee shop close to his work place. He remembers the server ( a female employee) swiping his debit card a couple of times claiming it did not go through. He is going to drop in and have a word with the manager there. Thank goodness his credit union caught it and informed him right away. He was able to freeze his present debit card and is going in to get a new one. One can't be too careful. I have heard so much about this problem lately and this was really too close to home!! My husband was absolutely stunned that this happened to him.

As I mentioned in a post I just dropped my lap top computer off for repair and now I am paranoid about leaving it there. I might drop in tomorrow night after work and pick it up - repair work done or not.

This has really alerted me to keep a close watch on my banking info and statements!!

Be careful everyone!!!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not sure i'd describe that as identity theft (new buzz word!) so much as credit/debit card fraud.

I had a similar situation with a credit card that had been registered on music download site Napster. Though not money had been charged, it was ready and approved. My credit card company called me beleiving it was a strange transaction for my account and they were right.

More recently my partner's business account cheque book went missing in the post. It was one sent automatically when there are only a certain number of cheques left in the current book so he necesasirly looking out for it. Some idiot tried to cash a £28,000 cheque with it! That has to be the most stupid example of fraud ever, especially given that the business name is clear that it is a haridressers! Since the person made it out seemingly to himself I think he'll get caught!

Ant

Buzzz

Final Flight
I had my pin number stolen once. The bank was very good and gave me back my money and I was liable for anything but they never told me if they ever caught the person who did it.