Note to moderators and other posters | Golden Skate

Note to moderators and other posters

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Would you mind changing the title of this Canadians forum?

I just learnt that It should be "the BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships", same as the title of my original thread or Canadians for short. "Canadian Nationals" is an Americanized name.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
And be sure to put this emblem in all of your posts. :biggrin:

sponsors_BMO.jpg

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Wouldn't we then have to change the US Nationals forum title to "The AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships" too?(and am I the only one who is dreading the overload of "we didn't get that call" commercials we're going to get with Nationals? Most sponsors commercials end up irritating me simply because they're shown so. many. (censored). times. and I was already sick of AT&T's shtick)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will the world flip on its axis if a Canadian championship has an 'Americanized' name?

We refer to Japanese Nationals, British Nationals, Russian Nationals and no one from those countries complains of being 'Americanized'. But 'Canadian Nationals' raises hackles.

How provincial!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm Canadian, and I call it the "Canadian Nationals". In fact, almost all of the other Canadians on FSU (and there are a lot of them) have used that name for years. We're not being paid advertising revenue, so we're not obliged to use the the long-winded, corporate-sponsored title.

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
OK.

Let's face it. Do you guys think you can watch/enjoy figure skating without corporate sponsors? What is so wrong with acknowledging/thanking sponsors/network to financially spport the sport? Why because BMO is keeping interest rates so low in your savings account and mortage rate so high on your house, while putting the money into figure skating?

Tesla

Final Flight
I don't think the long name will fit. Just leave it as it is. It looks better and stays on the page.

antmanb

Record Breaker
OK.

Let's face it. Do you guys think you can watch/enjoy figure skating without corporate sponsors? What is so wrong with acknowledging/thanking sponsors/network to financially spport the sport? Why because BMO is keeping interest rates so low in your savings account and mortage rate so high on your house, while putting the money into figure skating?

Come on fess up - you work for BMO don't you :rofl: I'm joking but i just can't see what the fuss is about.

I always thought when referring to your own country's national championships it would be OK to just say "nationals" or "the national championships". I was very rudely corrected by several people at my rink that i should actually refer to "the British" daaaaahling, don't you know!

The pomposity in the skating world never ceases to amaze me. :rolleye:

Ant

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:laugh: shame on you for not knowing;):rofl:

Its a National event so Nationals or National Championships works for me.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Haha. :biggrin:

No. I don't work for BMO. I haven't checked their career page either. I assume it is a good place to work at, as I never heard of Canadian banks going banckrupt or filing for bankruptcy protection, even during recessions. BMO has a spanking brand-new building in downtown core here and BMO employees are sharp-looking. I haven't checked their pay scale yet.

I worked for AT&T in US. Now, that was an interesting story. That's for future posts.

I guess I'm being pompous. I'm a bit surprised that I'm being perceived a pompous person. OK. Just drop it, I thought it was an interesting piece of information for me, but obviously you guys don't think that way. That's fine. Just leave the way it is.

Last edited: