Ladies SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

chnfs

Match Penalty
Wow, that was unpredictable. Mira is waaay back in the pack and is very unlikely to take second place now. Phaneuf skated decently (on a not-great) night — bet she wasn't expecting to be in first after the short. Hope she doesn't implode with the pressure (though really, who doesn't think Rochette is still going to win this thing?) .

It depends on your definition of'implode' for Cynthia. She will have at least one fall, one pop in long program on average :laugh::laugh:

amateur

Final Flight
Rochette interviewed seems reasonably relaxed, says she knew right at the takeoff the lutz was no good, and she would fall, but forced herself to rotate it.
So at least there's a certain competitive toughness there, no matter what her SP demons are. Hinted also that there may be a rethinking of her SP for the future

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I would still be shocked beyond belief if Joannie doesn't win this in the LP. This sadly is typical MO for Joannie. A frustratingly flawed SP usually followed up by a strong comeback in the LP. She cannot do this at Worlds and expect to be on the podium though, and I'm sure she knows this.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hinted also that there may be a rethinking of her SP for the future

Thank goodness! I've been suggesting she and Manon need to rethink SP strategy for a while now. It's most important that she go clean, 3flip+3toe or not.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Yes. Tracy and Kurt didn't let her off the hook about SP in the interview. Joannie said that she would definitely do something about SP. In the Kiss and Cry zone, she seemed very mad at herself.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:eek: Cynthia's in 1st?! Wow that was not expected, but I'll take it:rock::clap: I know Joannie(who I also adore) will win, but I will be happy with Cynthia's 1st place for the SP.:agree::love:

Wow who knows what will happen with the men at this point...come on Shawn!! :love:

nadster

Final Flight
I must say that the results so far are answering my prayers.

My first prayer is that Mira would finally get dinged for a UR at nationals when she deserved it. I thought she couldn't make the podium if her jumps at nationals were called like they are internationally.

I was hoping that Lacoste would medal so that she can get the 4CC and start building her ISU ranking again. It is too bad that injuries have slowed down the progress of this talented lady.

Sad about Joannie as her mind seemed somewhere else. Phaneuf deserved to win the short because except for the lutz, everything else was top quality.

It will be interesting to see who gets the second junior worlds spot. Szmiett has one of the spots wrapped up. Kang , Grenier and Dana Z-T are all very close to each other at this moment. Kang has the advantage of the lutz though ( the jump out of steps at JW this year) but the disadvantage of historically imploding internationally. And we won't forget the junior winner Charbonneau in the mix.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I must say that the results so far are answering my prayers.

My first prayer is that Mira would finally get dinged for a UR at nationals when she deserved it. I thought she couldn't make the podium if her jumps at nationals were called like they are internationally.

I was hoping that Lacoste would medal so that she can get the 4CC and start building her ISU ranking again. It is too bad that injuries have slowed down the progress of this talented lady.

Sad about Joannie as her mind seemed somewhere else. Phaneuf deserved to win the short because except for the lutz, everything else was top quality.

It will be interesting to see who gets the second junior worlds spot. Szmiett has one of the spots wrapped up. Kang , Grenier and Dana Z-T are all very close to each other at this moment. Kang has the advantage of the lutz though ( the jump out of steps at JW this year) but the disadvantage of historically imploding internationally. And we won't forget the junior winner Charbonneau in the mix.

Don't forget Rylie M-C. I believe she is in the mix too. The thing about Rylie is she has been very consistent internationally and a tough competitor.

screech

Final Flight
I honestly thought Joannie's combo was rotated, even in replay I thought it looked 1/4 rotation or less.

I actually enjoyed Mira's program for once, even with the underrotations! If they hadn't announced her name you almost could have thought someone else was performing (almost... the jumping style still gives it away.) And you could tell she kind of enjoyed having some choreography for once.

Cynthia could have done a lot worse but a lot better. Good for her though - she's got her attack back which is great and may help her make the world team!

madibe

On the Ice
A Cynthia Phaneuf with a fall and no combination beats a Joannie Rochette with a fall, a popped axel, and a downgraded combination? Interesting.

nadster

Final Flight
Don't forget Rylie M-C. I believe she is in the mix too. The thing about Rylie is she has been very consistent internationally and a tough competitor.

fumie . you are so right.

Another factor is that ISU ranking does determine short program skate order and you don't want to be stuck in the skating early group simply because you lack an ISU ranking as judges will hold back the PCS scores of the skating early group.

I think Rylie and Najarro have done enough to get in the skating later group and that is such a huge advantage.

Among our junior ladies that went on the JGP, Najarro's style is liked the most by the international judges. I think Najarro's FD meltdown at nationals will prevent her from getting a JW spot though.

amateur

Final Flight
I was pretty sure Joannie's combo was UR even before seeing replay .. though of course it's a shame the penalty is as stiff ... I was even surprised she actually went for it, as she didn't look to be really going into the flip at top speed. Kudos to her for staying determined (including rotating the lutz), but a shame about the slip-ups....

I liked Mira's program quite a bit! One of my favourites in fact. And lovely to see her enjoying it too... despite the weaknesses in her presentation skills (largely attribuatble to speed), she actually is pretty good at taking and owning choreography. Good to see her having fun. 2nd isn't being handed to her, clearly, but I wouldn't count her out.

Cynthia's SP is one of my favourites of all the ladies internationally this year. If she can manage to get her confidence back to a good level and regain competitive experience, I think she can really take off in her expression/presentation (already very strong) and will be really wonderful to behold...

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Joannie's 3/3 was not credited - she got nailed on the second one.

Into 2nd place behind Cynthia - who would have thought!

It is amazing how the judges hold up the "big names" the the PCS scores. Sure, i like Joannie, but 2nd place with a pop and a fall? come on.

rain

Record Breaker
A Cynthia Phaneuf with a fall and no combination beats a Joannie Rochette with a fall, a popped axel, and a downgraded combination? Interesting.

I love Rochette and still hope for her to win (and actually predict she will, fairly easily), but if she had been put into first after that skate it would have defied all credibility.

Rochette and Phaneuf - both fall on the 3lutz - equal
Rochette pops axel to single, Phaneuf did a beauty
Rochette did a triple plus underrotated triple combo, Phaneuf did a solo triple (phantom combo) with decent quality - edge to Rochette

Other elements - Phaneuf scored like gangbusters with level 4s. Overall, her program was more convincing as well (IMO).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how Phaneuf will handle skating her LP last. That may be too much pressure for her . . . we'll know tomorrow.

I hope everyone skates their best!

amateur

Final Flight
It is amazing how the judges hold up the "big names" the the PCS scores. Sure, i like Joannie, but 2nd place with a pop and a fall? come on.

I wouldn't say held up... she's almost tied with Lacoste, who aguably could be ahead of her, but skated in an earlier group... and figure skaing has always had a problem with marking those in earlier groups too conservatively... nothing to do with specific favourtism in this case. Lacoste had good attack in her program, but it was not a top level program, nor top level presentation, and so Joannie certainly has justifiably higher PCS. And elements such as Joannie's footwork had much more content and ease of delivery by far than over every other skater besides Phaneuf.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I certainly don't think the judges held Joannie up, no more than they did Cynthia anyway. Phaneuf had no combination due to her fall on the Lutz and her solo triple was only a toe loop. She did get the 2Axel though. Rochette attempted a 3flip+3toe (downgraded to a 3+2 combo), a fall on the 3Lutz, and a 1Axel. So, Cynthia and Joannie both only did 1 clean triple, Joannie's 3flip and Cynthia's 3toe. Amélie Lacoste would very likely be in 1st place right now if she had not skated so early in the line-up (the penultimate group), thus resulting in lower PCS marks. Lacoste was credited with 2Axel, 3loop+2loop, and 3flip (with -1.33 GOE). PCS saved the day for Phaneuf and Rochette . . . this is where maturity and attention to presentation and skating skills count.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Aside from Cynthia having a very good chance to make the worlds team, I don't like the results. I was hoping Joannie would at least pull off a decent program..
Canadian judges seem to be favoring Cynthia over Mira, but would Cynthia get the same love from international judges?

I hope Mira will at least get to go to 4cc. I would hate to see all her efforts go down the drain.