CDN Junior Worlds Selection | Golden Skate

CDN Junior Worlds Selection

crawall

Rinkside
After reading the discussions in the US thread, I was just wondering if similar logic would apply. Would JR Worlds competitors be chosen from Sr ranks? Who would still be age eligible? Surely they wouldn't take past the top 5? With two off to Sr Worlds... bottom line, will Skate Canada send JR skaters to Jr Worlds?

nadster

Final Flight
After reading the discussions in the US thread, I was just wondering if similar logic would apply. Would JR Worlds competitors be chosen from Sr ranks? Who would still be age eligible? Surely they wouldn't take past the top 5? With two off to Sr Worlds... bottom line, will Skate Canada send JR skaters to Jr Worlds?

Canada will take whoever they feel the best age-eligible skaters are regardless with a few exceptions explained later.

Ladies ( 2 spots)

Smziett is a lock for one spot. After all she made the JGPF and has skated well at nationals.

Based on the senior and junior ladies results, I think Kang ( who competed in senior ladies at nationals ) will get the second spot. Although her past JGP outings have been awful ( she did not get any this year ) what is encouraging is that she has had 2 good back to back competitions ( challenge and nationals). Before this season she had a history of imploding consistently over the last 3 or so years. The other thing is that she has can do the triple lutz as the lutz is the required jump out of steps. Other than Szmiett, none of our other junior age eligible ladies have a consistent triple lutz.

Men ( 2 spots )

Balde ( competing senior) has a spot locked up. If Reynolds does not medal at nationals . he wil join Balde.

Paul Poirier ( competing in senior men ) is also age-eligible but will not be chosen no matter how well he skates at nationals since there is no way SC will want him to compete in men's at JW followed immediately by dance at senior worlds.

Our junior men are a weak bunch however if Reynolds medals at nationals, the junior men's champion will be sent.

So SC is waiting on Kevin's placement at nationals to determine who will go to JW. Otherwise no mysteries.

Dance (3 spots) - It has been decided already. Asher/Hill will go with the top 2 finishers in junior dance.

Pairs ( 2 spots ) - There are 3 eligible pairs in seniors . However since none of the pairs did well on the JGP the 3 senior pairs will have their national performances compared with the junior pairs. It is anybody's guess who will be selected at this point.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Isn't Kang too old for Junior Worlds???

Nope . Kang was born in October of 1989, which means that on July 1, 2008 , she was 18. Therefore she barely makes the age cut this year.

Kang can't do any junior events next season. Most likely she will get Nebelhorn

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Thank you for posting the available spots open! It is very helpful!

skatingfan04

Final Flight
http://skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2008/jan20-09.cfm

Skate Canada announced the team at the end of nationals two weeks ago.

Junior World Figure Skating Championships, Sofia, Bulgaria, February 23 – March 1, 2009

Men:
Elladj Baldé, 18, Pierrefonds, Que.
Andrei Rogozine, 15, Richmond Hill, Ont.

I was surprised that Kevin was not placed on this team, but given his dissapointment at nationals, I suppose it is possible that he turned it down (I'm not trying to start a rumour, just coming up with a theory). Regardless, these two should have a decent showing. I think Balde can give the top guys a run for their money if he's on.

Women:
Diane Szmiett, 18, Watford, Ont.
Kathryn Kang, 19, North Vancouver, B.C.

These entries are perfect, since this is the last chance that these two will have to compete. It's a shame that Kate Charbonneau was left off the team, since I think she has great potential, but it was right of Skate Canada to give these two the chance, especially given their good perfromanes at nationals.

Pairs:
Paige Lawrence, 18, Kennedy, Sask., and Rudi Sweigers, 21, Kipling, Sask.
Maddison Bird, 14, Barrie, Ont., and Raymond Schultz, 18, Bradford, Ont.

I'm really curios about why Sara Jones/Jeremy Sandor were not chosen. I know that Britanny Jones, the national champ, is too young, but what about Sara? I think Laurence/Sweigers will do well, and Bird/Schultz have some potential. I've seen them perform, and they're pretty good.

Ice Dance:
Kharis Ralph, 16, Toronto, Ont., and Asher Hill, 17, Toronto, Ont.
Karen Routhier, 17, Québec, Que., and Eric Saucke-Lacelle, 19, Sherbrooke, Que.
Tarrah Harvey, 19, Vancouver, B.C., and Keith Gagnon, 21, South Surrey, B.C.

They could not have gotten a better ice dance team if they tried to. Ralph/Hill and Routhier/Saucke-Lacelle are amazing, and both capable of placing in the top 6-8. I don't really know much about Harvey/Gagnon, but based on their results, my guess is that they could break the top 10 as well.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
http://skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2008/jan20-09.cfm

Skate Canada announced the team at the end of nationals two weeks ago.

Junior World Figure Skating Championships, Sofia, Bulgaria, February 23 – March 1, 2009

Men:
Elladj Baldé, 18, Pierrefonds, Que.
Andrei Rogozine, 15, Richmond Hill, Ont.

I was surprised that Kevin was not placed on this team, but given his dissapointment at nationals, I suppose it is possible that he turned it down (I'm not trying to start a rumour, just coming up with a theory). Regardless, these two should have a decent showing. I think Balde can give the top guys a run for their money if he's on.

Women:
Diane Szmiett, 18, Watford, Ont.
Kathryn Kang, 19, North Vancouver, B.C.

These entries are perfect, since this is the last chance that these two will have to compete. It's a shame that Kate Charbonneau was left off the team, since I think she has great potential, but it was right of Skate Canada to give these two the chance, especially given their good perfromanes at nationals.

Pairs:
Paige Lawrence, 18, Kennedy, Sask., and Rudi Sweigers, 21, Kipling, Sask.
Maddison Bird, 14, Barrie, Ont., and Raymond Schultz, 18, Bradford, Ont.

I'm really curios about why Sara Jones/Jeremy Sandor were not chosen. I know that Britanny Jones, the national champ, is too young, but what about Sara? I think Laurence/Sweigers will do well, and Bird/Schultz have some potential. I've seen them perform, and they're pretty good.

My comments:

Men. I don't expect Rogozine to have great results at JW. But he is one of our younger juniors and the experience will do wonders. Getting 3 JW spots for 2010 will be impossible ( THe sum of Balde's and Rogozine's placements will definitely be over 13 ). Balde should finish high enough to finish in the top 5 countries therefore maximizing JGP slots ( which is far more important than maximizing JW spots)

Ladies:

BTW, Szmiett can go back to the JGP for one last season as she was born on September 17, 1990 so she is still 18 as of July 1, 2009. Kang will have an excellent opportunity to hopefully put herself high enough on the season best list to hopefully get a GP event other than Skate Canada. If Szmiett does well here though, I see her doing GP events next year. We have an outside chance of 3 JW spots for 2010 and should max out our JGP slots for next season.

Pairs:

Bird/Schultz did have better JGP results than Jones/Sandor ( although neither had great results). Actually all of our pairs did very badly on the JGP so I am surprised that JGP results went into the reckoning at all. This is the only reason I can see Bird/Schultz getting the spot ahead of Jones/Sandor.

Jones/Sandor finished 11th in Mexico JGP with a score of 99.41.
Bird/Schultz finished 7th in Golden Lynx JGP with a score of 116.53.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Has the Russian team for Jr Worlds been posted yet?

No. Russian junior nationals are currently underway. So far only the ladies final results have been posted, but dance & pairs should also be finished by now.

1. Adelina Sotnikova
2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
3. Oksana Gozeva
4. Polina Shelepen
5. Ksenia Makarova

Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Shelepen are not age eligible, so who knows what'll happen there. Russia has two ladies spots. I hope Makarova gets one, she had good results in the JGP circuit and is nice to watch.

Riazanova/Guerreiro were leading in the dance after the CD+OD, with Pushkash & Kiselev second, Monko/Khaliavin third, Antipova/Kudashev 4th and Ilinykh/Katsalapov fifth. Baring a meltdown, I don't see anyone but R/G winning the title, and I'd imagine that P/K are likely to be second. After their good results in the JGP and the final, they are likely to be in. The third spot is more of a tossup, Monko & Khaliavin and Antipova/Kudashev had similar results all season and the second weren't exactly impressive in the final. And who knows, I/K could pull of an upset and snatch the third spot.

Pairs is the most competitive discipline. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze are not competing at Junior Nats, but have already been gauranteed a spot based on their results this season. So that leaves two spots open. Krasilnikova is ill, so K/B withdrew from Junior Nats and who knows if they will be named to the team. After the SP, Martiusheva/Rogonov are first, Imaikina/Novoselov second and Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov are third. I hope M/R get to go, since it's their only year in Juniors and they're a very talented team - and leagues ahead of I/M when it comes to artistry.

Russia has three spots in the men's, and after the SP, Artem Grigoriev, Artur Gachinski & Ivan Bariev were 1-2-3 with about 1 point between them. The 4th place skater, Gordey Gorshkov, is about 10 points behind Bariev, so I think it's likely that the team will be Grigoriev-Bariev-Gachisnki. Though a meltdown from Artem wouldn't be totally surprising. ;)

sisinka

Medalist
1. Adelina Sotnikova
2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
3. Oksana Gozeva
4. Polina Shelepen
5. Ksenia Makarova

Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Shelepen are not age eligible, so who knows what'll happen there. Russia has two ladies spots. I hope Makarova gets one, she had good results in the JGP circuit and is nice to watch.

Russia has three spots in the men's, and after the SP, Artem Grigoriev, Artur Gachinski & Ivan Bariev were 1-2-3 with about 1 point between them. The 4th place skater, Gordey Gorshkov, is about 10 points behind Bariev, so I think it's likely that the team will be Grigoriev-Bariev-Gachisnki. Though a meltdown from Artem wouldn't be totally surprising. ;)

Forgot about Leonova. She was excused because she came back from European Championships just two days before Junior Nats has started. She can get one spot.

Final men results - 1. Bariev, 2. Gachinski, 3. Grigoriev.