Ladies LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

screech

Final Flight
Just watched Joannie's LP on CBC website and all I can say is WOW. That was flipping brilliant!

Didn't get to watch Cynthia's, but it sounded like she met her goals - landing 4 triples and making the world team. And in addition she rotated everything so she has her fight back in her. Congratulations! This is a Canadian womens world team I can get behind.

madibe

On the Ice
Though minutes after Joannie's disastrous short program, Kurt and Tracy persistently questioned her on why she never skates well in the short. It seemed almost cruel--Joannie was obviously terribly disappointed and she had to sit there and basically apologize for not skating well.

samba

On the Ice
I've never liked Tracy, I don't know why ;) The way she interviewed people, always made them feel uncomfortable.

amateur

Final Flight
true enough, though she was remarkably composed, and given that she is the type to be just as hard on herself, just basically agreed with them. But yeah, perhaps some more space would be healthy and more supportive.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though minutes after Joannie's disastrous short program, Kurt and Tracy persistently questioned her on why she never skates well in the short. It seemed almost cruel--Joannie was obviously terribly disappointed and she had to sit there and basically apologize for not skating well.

I think it's clear from her statements about intending to re-work the SP that she's obviously aware that changes need to be made. Grilling her about her mistakes is not going to solve anything, except possibly put a damper on Rochette's spirits. Joannie certainly is not the only skater in the world who has made mistakes in the SP this season. She's not stupid . . . she knows she can't make these kinds of mistakes at Worlds and expect to medal.

madibe

On the Ice
I think it's clear from her statements about intending to re-work the SP that she's obviously aware that changes need to be made. Grilling her about her mistakes is not going to solve anything, except possibly put a damper on Rochette's spirits. Joannie certainly is not the only skater in the world who has made mistakes in the SP this season. She's not stupid . . . she knows she can't make these kinds of mistakes at Worlds and expect to medal.

I totally agree and I can't wait for her to skate that mistake-free short program at worlds! :rock:

Eurofan

On the Ice
I'm just glad that for all its flaws, the CoP allows you to come back from a rough short program. I started watching skating under 6.0 and remember when a pop or a fall in the short program basically took you out of medal contention. Unless of course the competition was a splatfest or you were someone like Kwan or Plushenko and the judges apparently marked you for the practice they saw that morning rather than the performance that just took place. (And I'm only throwing out those names by way of example, so please don't come after me demanding to know when this ever happened to Michelle or Plush.)

screech

Final Flight

Exactly. I think she now knows she can do the 3/3 (even though not ratified here) so there isn't as much pressure on her. She may decide to be ballsy and go for it at worlds, or she may pull a Buttle and skate flawlessly but with less difficulty to keep her in striking distance of the podium with her kick *** long program. Who knows. She'll probably practice a few different ways of doing the combo (3f/3t, 3f/2t, maybe even a 3t/3t) and decide which one works best for her when the time comes.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
:bow::bow:YAY JOANNIE!!!:bow::bow:

Wow that was brilliant. This is the Joannie Rochette everyone has been waiting years to see. I think she'll undoubtedly take a spot with the rest of Canada's female figure skating legends (however few there may be). I'd like to challenge anyone to beat her if she does that at worlds, paired with a better SP.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Yay Joannie!!!!:clap::rock: I cant wait to see her performance!!:yes:

Woohoo Cynthia!!:rock::clap::love:

Also many thanks to amateur for the pbp!!!:rock::clap::bow::agree: I know I as well as many others greatly appreciate your great work:yes:

herios

Medalist
I totally agree and I can't wait for her to skate that mistake-free short program at worlds! :rock:

For that to happen, I think she should change her combo into a 3 sal / 3 toe. Her salchow is her best and most secure jump, that would give her the best chances to land a clean 3/3. Her strategy has to be to stay within a striking distance to the podium and I hope she doesn't take huge risks in her SP. Her LP is a top 3 vehicle for sure.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For that to happen, I think she should change her combo into a 3 sal / 3 toe. Her salchow is her best and most secure jump, that would give her the best chances to land a clean 3/3. Her strategy has to be to stay within a striking distance to the podium and I hope she doesn't take huge risks in her SP. Her LP is a top 3 vehicle for sure.

I agree! If she's capable of doing a clean, ratified 3Salchow+3toe in the SP, she should put it into her LP in place of the 3toe+half loop+3Salchow sequence in order to get more points. For the SP, she could do 2Axel, 3Salchow+3toe, and 3Lutz or 3flip as the solo jump out of footwork, whichever she's more comfortable with. I think she seriously needs to ditch the 3flip+3toe. She doesn't need to try something she's not solidly consistent on in competition, even though she does land nice ones in practices and warm-ups.

samba

On the Ice
OMG, I just watched Joannie's LP on the Youtube !! It brought tears in my eyes, she was superb :rock::clap::bow:

I really hope she does well at Worlds. This reminds me of Michelle Kwan on her prime time, at Nationals when she brought the house down. Congrats on Joannie fantastic performance :love::love:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
OMG, I just watched Joannie's LP on the Youtube !! It brought tears in my eyes, she was superb :rock::clap::bow:

I really hope she does well at Worlds. This reminds me of Michelle Kwan on her prime time, at Nationals when she brought the house down. Congrats on Joannie fantastic performance :love::love:

I agree Joannie was superb.She was in the zone. It was like the music was channeling throughout her body and electrifying the ice. My wish is that Joannie has the same result as Michelle did at Worlds-Gold. There is something about Aranjuez.....

london_calling

On the Ice
Oh my gosh, Joannie's skate was brilliant! Total lights out performance. What an amazing competitor she is to come back after placing 2nd in the short with an simply outstanding free skate!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
PJ Kwong's notes to me

I got a reply from PJ Kwong on my question

Question:

I love reading your blogs on Canadians site. So do you think Joannie will retire after 2010? If she retires in 2010, Canada will be left high and dry without any heavyweight ladies contenders..

Answer

Thanks for the great note! I am glad you're liking the blogs, truth is I love doing them!

Since seeing the event over the weekend though I think that there is lots of talent and lots of room for growth in the Ladies event. What I mean by that is skater after skater yesterday really went after all of the elements in their program regardless of the outcome. One skater had 4 falls in her program and rather than seeing that as a sign of failure, I see it as a sign of success in getting coaches to push their skaters to put it all on the line when it counts in competition. Two years from now when the post- olympic season starts we could be seeing lots more of that "take no prisoners attitude" which will be great for the sport.

If you are looking for names take a look at the top 6 ladies who finished yesterday. They are, in my mind, a very talented group with many more Juniors starting to come to the surface.

It all takes time but I believe we are on the right track!

Hope you'll be watching the skating today!

Cheers,

Pj

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
Do I think Joannie was overmarked yes,But it is nationals and everyone is overmarked.
They didn't catch change of edge Joannie did just before take off on her first jumping pass. and she ur (slightly--ever so) you had to really look to notice it on her second jumping .
That being said.I am surprised at how well Joannie did.Congratulations on a great job.

fairly4

Medalist
To continue what I was previously saying from above. Is Joannie did skate real well. She could win worlds and /or medal at worlds provided she skates like that in Both the long and short. It reminded me a bit of Michelles 2003 program.
It was a lights out program with a few minor mistakes.
Great job.