Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular

feraina

Record Breaker
They want our souls! :laugh:

They'll be disappointed then, I already sold my soul to the devil -- as far as skating videos go. :laugh:

I counted 30+ revolutions in Caroline's upright back spin, 25+ in the held split position, no kidding! And all the subtle position changes and speed changes went right with the music. Amazing! I wonder who choreographed this wonderful program for her. It's the most grown-up I've ever seen her skate. And that pretty dress. :love:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yes, that was a beautiful presentation. I watched all 2 hours, and got it all on DVD. :biggrin:

Caroline does 2 unusual spins in her first routine. They kind of remind me of falling leaves. Then again, she could be asleep on a cloud. You would never know every muscle in her body was straining.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link! Zhang just takes my breath away (if only she could get rid of the mule kick!) - but gosh, really stunning to watch.

lmarie086

Medalist
I just watched Caroline's "On My Own," and it was gorgeous. I'd like it even more without the vocals. Do you think she'd consider using it for an LP, maybe next season?

It might just be me but it looked like her jumps were starting to get a little more height. Wish she'd get rid of that mulekick though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Shawn Johnson looks.. so different.. from 6 months ago.

I know. about 20 pounds "different."

Caroline's programs were both beautiful. I think she had to improvise the end of the second number...i think she was planning to end after the I spin. I wonder whose idea it was for her to skate to "own my own"? Didn't Michelle skate to that 1997-8 season? The number with Evan and Tanith was cute, looks rather under-rehearsed, but it was probably thrown together spur of the moment. Rachel look very pretty, very happy and very confident. her jumps were spot on. I predict a world berth for her.

feraina

Record Breaker
Rachel look very pretty, very happy and very confident. her jumps were spot on. I predict a world berth for her.

Yeah, she looks very fit, very confident. Like how Joannie looked before her two GP events. But Joannie's been a little uneven since her two GP's, namely at GPF, and now again in the SP at Canadian National's. Joannie said in interviews that she felt really bad at National's, very stiff and low on energy, and she was happy that she pulled through for the LP.

Anyway, Rachael has that look now, too. Her jumps are really high and confident. Her presentation is improving, too. She will be formidable at National's.

Nigel

On the Ice
Caroline Zhang skates her Lullaby for a Stormy Night, very, very pretty music and choreography. So gentle and delicate, I feel completely at peace by the time she finishes.

She did three spins, all amazing: the layback into a pearl and then Biellman, the camel spin into the same variation that Yuna does -- upper body turned toward the ceiling, free leg down -- but she has more stretch and holds it longer than Yuna, it looks like she's sleeping and floating on clouds (it is a lullaby, after all). The third is another layback that goes on forever, as she gets into all these really stretched and beautiful positions.

Two jumps: 3F and 3R. The 3F take-off looks a bit better than in her GP's, the 3R is good.

I can't remember if she did her spiral sequence, maybe the gymnastics set-up cut it short or made her take it out altogether. She did a sequence of nice spread eagles in both directions.

Several of the performers re-skated portions of their programs as well as some of the gymnasts to make them perfect for the NBC airing today, including Zhang who fell on her 3F in both numbers and went back and re-skated them. Good for her. Nastia performed both of her numbers (beam and floor) a second time as well, although, not readily apparent why she felt she needed to do them again...perfectionist I assume. :bow: And, a few of the guys had their moves filmed a second time on the high bar...those release moves are simply amazing!

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Several of the performers re-skated portions of their programs as well as some of the gymnasts to make them perfect for the NBC airing today, including Zhang who fell on her 3F in both numbers and went back and re-skated them.

Oh, no, that's a very bad sign for National's! The 3F has been given her a hard time this season. I was hoping that she'll get her jumps fixed by National's, but... Well, at least the show was in December, maybe things are better now.

liketotally

On the Ice
Is it just me, or does Caroline Zhang's beillmann look crooked? It was one of the first things I noticed, actually. She doesn't seem to bend her body back as far as she used to. Is her extreme flexibility decreasing as she gets older?

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Tv alert--Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular

Although I'm happy to see any kind of skating on tv these days, this format was not my favorite. It seemed choppy and left me as a skating fan frustrated that I didn't see more skating. I'm sure gymnastic fans felt the same way.

I think the skaters were very good considering the limited space to skate. Every time a skater would skate around the apparatus, I expected a crash of some kind. The obstacle had to distract the skaters to some degree.

Maybe I expected too much but the gymnasts all looked a little rusty to me. The men were better than the women. Has Shawn Johnson retired from competition?

I enjoyed Rachel, Caroline, Joannie and Todd. Tanith did look a little lost but I do enjoy her skating and her personality on the ice. Caroline is so light on the ice and really is a lovely spinner. I'm looking forward to Nationals.

Dizzy

dewey

Rinkside
I didn't think Shawn looked too heavy - just really muscular as most gymnasts do when they hit their late teens (Nastia is the exception). However, the lady gymnast's costumes were truly hideous - they even managed to make Nastia look dumpy!

In Shawn's defense, she's only about 4'8-4'10, so any weight gain is going to be really visible. I'm fairly certain Marta Karolyi has the girls in starvation mode up to and through the Olympics, so if Shawn broke down and ate a few potato chips after the Olympics...well...I guess she earned them. I think the weight gain could have been disguised better with better costumes.

Yes, the gymnastics setup at the end of the ice had to be a momentum killer for the skaters.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
She is out of shape and because she small and stocky, Shawn will look even bigger when she's out-of-shape. Even Sam and Alicia look out of shape. The fact is that none of these girls were working out heavily during the tour and they only performed watered down shown routines.

I know it's inappropriate but I :rofl: over Tanith trying to drag Jon Horton across the ice.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The guys were really in shape, but I'm not sure about the muscle flexing. :unsure:

In the Ice Network "Behing the Scenes" clip, the skaters were showing the gymnasts a few simple moves. That was cute. :biggrin:

Andalusia

Final Flight
The moment I knew Caroline is an artistic skater was when watching "On My Own". Watch the ending pose carefully - she doesn't just throw the arms back, as I've seen many others do, she actually does a rippling movement with them. I think even Michelle Kwan would just slowly move the arms back and outwards without doing that rippling move.

Technique issues aside, I think she's the one closest to an artistic skater amongst the U.S. ladies.