Implications for Mira Leung | Golden Skate

Implications for Mira Leung

passion

On the Ice
Overall, this has been a very disappointing year culminating at nationals. What are the implications for Mira not even making the national team? I've always believed that bad events can be a blessing in disguise; therefore, I don't think this is the end for her if she can reframe the situation. For the upcoming year, what does it mean to no longer be on the national team? eg. does she owe money back for 2010 training to anyone? will she get international assignments? will she go to special training seminars? etc.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Good questions. Her international track record, with the sole exception of Nebelhorn 2004, where she finished 3rd in a rather weak field, has not been good.

In 6 of the 16 international events that followed Nebelhorn, she finished 5th.

In the other 10, she finished 6th, 8th, 12th, etc. all the way down to 24th.

In terms of scores, she averaged 134.87, with a high of 157.36 and a low of 114.05 (4CC and CoC '08).

That's pretty bad for a girl who wants to be on the World and Olympic podiums. Especially when that girl lives in a country with some of the best coaches and choreographers in the sport. I'm not saying this is all her fault. From what I've read (articles in the Globe & Mail; other threads, other boards) she's never had a good coaching team or anyone to help her make smart decisions. It's a weird mix of the Surya Bonaly/Tonya Harding sagas, with the same end result: she's alienated her skating federation. They told her that this weekend.

I don't see international assignments or special training in her future. I get the impression that SC spent five years hoping that Leung would improve her skating, but that never really happened. She has the raw talent, but there are still so many issues that haven't really been addressed. Phaneuf, on the other hand, has one major issue: Confidence in her jumps. In terms of the other elements - presentation, speed, posture, line, spins, spirals, etc. - she is miles ahead of Leung. SC might as well back the more artistic skater who's working hard to fix her problems rather than the athletic skater who isn't, whatever the reasons might be.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I think it will depend on MIra - what she wants to do and what she is capable of doing within whatever financial constraints she may be under (e.g., maybe her parents dno't allow much input since they are holding the urse strings? who knows).

In any event, this could either be the wake up call she needs with a year still left to make a try for 2010 OR should could just quit and go to school. If she opts for the latter, I hope it is for the right reasons and that she does not blame others for her situation........rather accept her own role in how things have turned out. If she opts for the prior, she has a lot of fence mending ahead in terms of the Federation.

We'll see.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well as the saying goes "the writing is on the wall." Mira did not look like as though her heart was in it when she skated at Nationals. I kind of don't think Skate Canada wants to waste any more time waiting for Mira to "pull her skate socks up" as it were. Of course, who am I to say? I know she has always dreamed of making it to the 2010 games here in Vancouver. I guess time will tell...

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
From what I've read (articles in the Globe & Mail; other threads, other boards) she's never had a good coaching team or anyone to help her make smart decisions. It's a weird mix of the Surya Bonaly/Tonya Harding sagas, with the same end result: she's alienated her skating federation. They told her that this weekend.

.... She has the raw talent, but there are still so many issues that haven't really been addressed.
IIRC, Scott Hamilton once said (and I am paraphrasing) that there are improvements for skaters every 6 months. However, we don't really see that with Mira. I was just watching her SP again. While it is a beautifully constructed program, the basic skating skills are not up to par with it. There were some nice moments in the spiral sequence and flip wasn't bad (loved Kurt's comment that it was better than usual). However, the axel was scary (hence the downgrade), the spins were slow and not centered, and the basic stroking and edging do not compare with everyone else. Just looking at the standings I couldn't understand how she could be behind Diane Szmiett and Adriana DeSanctis - but I watched their SPs on YouTube and they have much better basic skating skills.

Mira did not look like as though her heart was in it when she skated at Nationals.
She did look determined in the SP, but when she found herself in 6th place she probably felt like throwing in the towel then. I haven't seen the LP so I hope that someone will post it.

Mira in the same generation as Yu-Na and Mao. However, they have great basic skating skills in addition to the jumps. Mira only has the jumps, but they are not always dependable.

It really is up to Mira. How badly does she want it? With the Olympics a year away, it might be too late....

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mira in the same generation as Yu-Na and Mao. However, they have great basic skating skills in addition to the jumps. Mira only has the jumps, but they are not always dependable.

And the reason why her jumps aren't dependable is because the SS are not at the same level. When the skating skill level matches the jumps, the jumps become much more dependable. It's like teaching a kid an Axel when they can't land a loop jump consistently.

lutzskate

On the Ice
She needs to start from scratch and get a NEW coach - a reputable coach. Perhaps she should go and train in the States, like Jeff Buttle did, in Lake Arrowhead, where there is competition and where she won't be coddled. She needs a coach to tell it to her like it is. .... lol...maybe she should give Tarasova a call! She would put Mira (and her mother) in their place quickly.

The bottom line is, she needs a new coach. NOW. It was very clear that she did not have the best relationship with her current coach. It appeared to me that she didn't respect anything that she was telling Mira in the K&C. If Mira truly wants to meet her goals, she going to have to make the hard choices, and she's 19 now, so if that means going against mommy's wishes, that's what she's got to do.

nadster

Final Flight
She needs to start from scratch and get a NEW coach - a reputable coach. Perhaps she should go and train in the States, like Jeff Buttle did, in Lake Arrowhead, where there is competition and where she won't be coddled..

I would say that Jeff added to his team of coaches rather than dumped his Mariposa team. Lee Barkell suggested to Jeff that he go to Lake Arrowhead over the summer to fix the jumps. Lee still did work with Jeff during the fall and winter.

IOW, Jeff had a team of coaches that worked together well. Each individual coach knew their own strengths and worked with Jeff in his/her area of strength with an overall plan though out between the coaches.

To me that is the ideal situation as no coach is perfect in all areas ( they are only human). The tricky part is to get a team willing to work together rather than against each other.

Regarding Mira, yes she does need to get away from her Mom and get a new coach ( and I don't mean going back to Mcleod). She needs to live separately from Mom. Ideally she would also move out of Vancouver.

The main thing that I can see holding Mira back is funding issues. If she needs to rely mainly on Mom to pay the skating bills ( since she has lost SC funding now), she might not be able to continue. I still would love to see her move out of the house and persue whatever else makes her happy in life even if it is not skating. Her home situation ( where Mom kept her so isolated ) is not healthy no matter what type of career Mira wants to persue.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Here's a post-National's article on Kevin Reynolds and Mira Leung:

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=1207822

After reading what she had to say, I don't feel too optimistic for her chances of making that 2010 team.
Thanks for posting the link to the article. Looks like she will stay in. However, the thing she needs to do is address her skating skills. A new program - whether it's from Lori Nichol, her current coach, or any other choreographer - will not fix the sub-par skating skills and wonky jump technique. Her Rachmaninov program is not bad. Granted, I haven't seen her Nationals performance. However, I feel her skating is not up to the standard required to skate to that music - especially since we've seen so many others use the same music (Chen Lu, Michelle Kwan, Fumie Suguri).

Eurofan

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the link to the article. Looks like she will stay in. However, the thing she needs to do is address her skating skills. A new program - whether it's from Lori Nichol, her current coach, or any other choreographer - will not fix the sub-par skating skills and wonky jump technique.

Unfortunately, that seems to be her pattern - blame the program, not the skating. She doesn't seem to think that her protocols are worth looking at; probably because they're "unfair." Which is too bad, because they'd tell her exactly what to fix. Her problem is not choreography or whether she skates to Rachmaninoff, Led Zeppelin, or John Philips Sousa.

lutzskate

On the Ice
"People were saying how much I'd changed. They said they didn't recognize me. I don't know why I got the scores I did. I'm happy with my skate but I just don't understand the scores."I skated worse at nationals last year and got higher marks."

I agree with those who have posted above. It's unfortunate, but from the above quote it is clear that she refuses to take an honest look at her skating. Obviously, looking at her results on the Grand Prix circuit, it's not just the national judges who see the problem. Her mom must be continuing to feed her belief that it's "their problem" (the judges) not Mira's problem, and her coach must be too intimidated or fearful of losing her job to say anything.

Listen up Mira! If you don't get a new, reputable coach and go back to scratch to rework ALL of your technique (like Alissa Czisny did), your dreams of competing in your home-town Olympics will never become a reality.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reynolds will still be on the National team, but Mira will not.

You have to wonder if she will be in the 2009-2010 GP.

Mira is currently #37 on the Seasons Best list and #28 on the ISU World Standings list, but it is likely that skaters will pass her on both lists after the remaining ISU Championships. So she would not be guaranteed any GP invitations and Skate Canada doesn't have to submit her name for consideration since she's not on the National team.

Kypma

Final Flight
Sorry for the bumping, but does anyone have any news on what Mira is currently doing? Just wondering what's going on with the girl who had so much potential...

-Kypma

krenseby

Final Flight
The only thing that I've read in the news about her is that she spoke at an assembly of participants of Canada's 2010 Winter Homestay program and encouraged people to provide lodging for the volunteers that are going to help out with the Olympic events.

"Mira Leung, a Vancouver-born figure skater who competed in the 2006 Torino Olympics, took to the podium to praise the program. 'Volunteering is not just how we run the events," she said. 'It's how we get involved, even if we don't get to volunteer in the Games.'"

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?cat=C_News&content=Vanoc+homestay+1605

flying camel

Medalist
I feel bad for her because she really is not a bad skater. But I think firstly like someone else said she needs to find a new coach to fix those technical errors. I would not give up if I were her. She has to work hard to try to make the team. This is it. Get an early start with a new coach. She should work 7 days a week if she has to.
The chances are looking good that Canada may get 3 spots. She may be lucky to get the 3rd spot. There is going to be a lot of pressure to make the team. She has been in that position already. The competition pressure may get to some who are ranked higher.
I think she may get one grand prix event or maybe she will have to do the senior B competitions. She has got to show the judges that she has improved her skating. Make that team girl!

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Final Flight
She is in a tough spot. She really placed herself behind the 8 ball.

If anyone can do it.....it is Mira and I wish her well. She has to listen to constructive feedback and make a change in coach and locale. If she stays in Vancouver, it may be tough to deal with the media given her current placement and having once been a lcoal favourite for 2010.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Doesn't Skate Canada use ISU world rankings and season's best list to help determine international assignments? Right now Leung is ranked 29th in the world, and she's all the way down in 39th on the Season's Best list, behind Rochette (3rd), Phaneuf (7th) and Lacoste (20th).

nadster

Final Flight
Doesn't Skate Canada use ISU world rankings and season's best list to help determine international assignments? Right now Leung is ranked 29th in the world, and she's all the way down in 39th on the Season's Best list, behind Rochette (3rd), Phaneuf (7th) and Lacoste (20th).

For GP events other than Skate Canada, the ISU rankings and season best takes precedent. Skate Canada can choose the 3 Canadian ladies they want ( regardless of world ranking) for Skate Canada. For the other events, Skate Canada has no control and only the ISU rankings will dictate who gets the spots.

I am sure that Phaneuf and Rochette will get Skate Canada ( unless worlds placings get in the way). Phaneuf and Rochette are the big draw names.

With Lacoste already being in the top 24 of the season best list, unless several skaters pass her between junior and senior worlds, she is guaranteed one GP slot. Almost without exception those that are guaranteed one assignment will always get 2. If she stays in the top 24, she won't get Skate Canada and likely will get 2 other assignments somewhere. With 2 assignments likely in the bag, she won't be doing Nebelhorn.

Diane Szmiett can do JGP during the 2009-2010 season and is likely to stay there. 2009-2010 is the last year she can do JGP however.

Traditionally, the third spot at Skate Canada is determined by a skateoff at Nebelhorn among 2 ladies whose rankings are too low to get assignments directly and also don't have the JGP option available to them. Summer skates are the main factor as to who gets those assignments.

Right now, it looks like Leung and Kang ( who can't do JGP in 2009-2010) will face off at Nebelhorn for that 3rd spot at Skate Canada. But if an outsider really gives a wow performance over the summer they will get the assignment instead.

It means Mira will be forced to compete both her short and long programs over the summer to get any assignments. Previously, she either skipped summer competition altogether or only competed her short at the BC summer skate.