CTV Skating Schedule | Golden Skate

CTV Skating Schedule

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
I was just looking at the schedule for CTV /TSN - it looks pretty pitiful.

http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/feature.asp?fid=2865

I hope there is more to it than this!

Well, there is a little more: CTV/TSN is still broadcasting the Canadian Synchro Championships this year, but other than that, yes, I'm afraid that's basically it. :cry:

BTW, according to Debbi Wilkes and a few other people "in the know," the main reason why CTV/TSN (or any other Canadian network) doesn't have any ISU-sponsored events on their schedule (the three events they are still broadcasting are sponsored by Skate Canada, not the ISU) is because the ISU's asking price for broadcast rights is so high. CBC put in a bid for Canadian broadcast rights for Worlds, but were turned down because the amount of money they offered was too low.

In fact, it sounds like the only network able to negociate a broadcast deal with the ISU is ABC (and that's probably because ABC has more $$$ to pay than most of the other networks put together!) Figure skating fans across Europe, Japan and perhaps many other countries are in basically the same boat as Canadians right now in terms of 2004 Worlds coverage (or lack thereof). If worse comes to worse, at least most Canadians should be able to watch at least part of Worlds on ABC, but skating fans in a lot of other countries may be left out in the cold altogether. :(

I'm crossing my fingers the ISU will be able to hammer out a deal with these networks before next March, but it's hard to be optimistic considering their recent track record. :rolleye:

I certainly hope we'll at least be able to see 2004 Worlds and Four Continents (which is taking place in Canada next January) on a Canadian station, if nothing else!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
lil_icesk8er915:

Yes, figure skating is and always will be one of Canada's most popular sports, unfortunately the tv networks have "tightened" their budget belts and have deemed figure skating to a lower order on their roster this year. It does not change Canada's love for the sport.

This is the first time in Canada's tv history of figure skating coverage that this has happened.

One could suppose because our big "drawing cards" like Bourne and Kraatz and Kurt Browning are no longer on the scene, and Elvis has not really made his big return yet could be part of the reason. However, this has never effected our great coverage in the past. So, don't know. I will have to wait and see.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
What a bummer. I hope it all works out for you Canadian folks. Its still scary to me that the US skating coverage this year could be better than Canada's. That's not right! :eek:

Norlite

On the Ice
KwanFan1212 said:
What a bummer. I hope it all works out for you Canadian folks. Its still scary to me that the US skating coverage this year could be better than Canada's. That's not right! :eek:

It could get worse. ABC's contract is up spring of 2004, (after this season) and word is they have no real interest in renewing either.

The ISU is in this position everywhere in the world, as the overall interest in FS reverts to it's pre-1994- 1995 state. What I think will ultimately happen is $$ for skating coverage will come down, which means GP event prize money (and even World's prize money) will dry up for the skaters. It really has only been there for less than 10 years anyway, for a very select few, so it won't be an enormous change.

singerskates

On the Ice
Time for figure skating fans to get off of the couch and out of the stands and to their local skating clubs and sign up for learn to skate/CanSkate and figure skating themselves. You can't depend on TV to bring you the beauty, grace, showmanship and athletics. It's time to do it for yourself. I've been skating for myself since fall 1999. Join us skaters in the local rinks.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Huh? The ISU is charging more than anyone aside from ABC will pay? Sounds like it is in the process of shooting itself in the foot. Presumably, if they are only selling broadcast rights to ABC, the revenue from ABC at least meets, if not exceeds, ISU costs for putting on events. If that's the case, why wouldn't the sell rights to other countries as it'd be pure profit even if it's below the asking price?

I am so unimpressed by the ISU on all accounts.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
singerskates:

I am an "old" figure skater myself from way back when - I started figure skating in 1967. However, as much as I would love to put my skates on and support my local rink, I am "over the hill" now.

I agree, there is nothing like being on the ice yourself. Still, it's nice to be able to watch the top notch skaters go for the gold. We have been spoiled over the years here in Canada with such great coverage and with the skating that is available to us all in our local rinks. It's a pitty we will lose some of our access.