Warmup Group
15 Douglas Razzano, Coyotes SC of Arizona
16 Ryan Bradley, Broadmoor SC
17 Dennis Phan, All Year FSC
18 Brandon Mroz, Broadmoor SC
19 Curran Oi, SC of Boston

lcd

Match Penalty
Does start order matter? Ugh. Shouldn't...but obviously, human nature ... and experience watching this sport over the years... tells us, that going first or early is usually not helpful. That mentality, if it carries over to the skaters - not just the judges - is such a double jeopardy situation. The ISU's decision over the past 2 years to have starting orders be in reverse of ISU rank seems the most explicit (and egregious) acknowledgement that ... starting order matters.

Experience and reputation are certainly on the side of the first group... but will just be tough to get that screamer score as the judges 'keep their powder dry'

Ugh.

People watching the short... better not be late!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, the last time Weir was the second skater of the short program - and was also the leader after the short program. So I guess it doesn't matter that much.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does start order matter? Ugh. Shouldn't...but obviously, human nature ... and experience watching this sport over the years... tells us, that going first or early is usually not helpful. That mentality, if it carries over to the skaters - not just the judges - is such a double jeopardy situation. The ISU's decision over the past 2 years to have starting orders be in reverse of ISU rank seems the most explicit (and egregious) acknowledgement that ... starting order matters.

Experience and reputation are certainly on the side of the first group... but will just be tough to get that screamer score as the judges 'keep their powder dry'

Ugh.

People watching the short... better not be late!

I think it comes more into play in the LP. The SP is all about setting yourself up in the judges' eyes and minds to be determined as a contender for the championship. Experience has shown that whenever a contender has a disappointing SP that pulls them out of the final LP group, the judges normally hold back his/her PCS marks in the LP even if he/she has a perfect skate. That's why it's so important when this happens for the skater to perform his/her technical elements as cleanly as possible because the judges will not reward that skater with high PCS marks under such circumstances.

Considering you have the 2 time and reigning US Champion, the reigning Grand Prix Final Champion, the 2007 World Junior Champion, and the reigning World Junior Champion in the same 1st group, I think the judges will reward superb skating with superb scores.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to commend Nicholas LaRoche for sticking with this sport given ALL the tumult and trauma he has endured in his personal life . . . what a prime example of perseverance through enormous adversity. You can't help but root for the guy! Go Nick!! I hope he skates wonderfully! :love:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have to commend Nicholas LaRoche for sticking with this sport given ALL the tumult and trauma he has endured in his personal life . . . what a prime example of perseverance through enormous adversity. You can't help but root for the guy! Go Nick!! I hope he skates wonderfully! :love:

I too, am so glad that he returned to compete this year. I thought he had retired and was very popular as a coach in LA last year I know, but he loved to sneak in a practice session here and there. I cant wait to see him again.

I think it is really bad for Evan to skate first, because he was playing the quad by ear. We have no threat of Johynny trying the quad in the short, but if Johnny skates a perfect short, Evan would probably try the quad. Now he will have to make up his mind without knowing how Johnny, (or Abott) skate.

psycho

On the Ice
Oh come on! None of Johnny, Evan or Jeremy will go for the quad in the short if they have half a brain, regardless of how anyone skates. It's too much of a risk in the short. I fully expect Johnny and Evan to have no quad in the FS too, and if Jeremy and his coach are not insane, they will follow suit. IMO, quads are not happening this year. They are not getting ratified this season, and trying a quad only messes up the rest of your program. None of these guys have a super-consistent quad, so yeah, not going to happen.

fierceyuna

Match Penalty
Any possibility to watch it live? (Am not in U.S and I don't pay for IceNEtwork]?:biggrin:

Sorry. No IN subscriber, no live feed for you period. I will do my best to stop all people who post the video on youtube to make sure so people like you unable to watch it.

Last edited:

cocovica

On the Ice
Sorry. No IN subscriber, no live feed for you period. I will do my best to stop all people who post the video on youtube to make sure so people like you able to watch it.

This is just sad...because even if I will pay for it I will be unable to watch it, because it is only for U.S , right? So I guess will have to wait for the videos from nbc then...

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
There will be Nationals on NBC tomorrow in the afternoon, and perhaps someone who has access to the IceNetwork feed tonight will supply basic general descriptions.

jcoates

Medalist
Can someone watching please clarify something for me? I just logged on and saw an overhead view of some skaters on the ice in what I thought was a warm-up and then heard the announcer ask them to leave and announce an ice resurfacing. So who was on the ice?

Once the competition begins I'd be happy to attempt some PBP.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Can someone watching please clarify something for me? I just logged on and saw an overhead view of some skaters on the ice in what I thought was a warm-up and then heard the announcer ask them to leave and announce an ice resurfacing. So who was on the ice?

I think it was the last practice group for the men. Apparently they're running behind.

DaveT

On the Ice

Once the competition begins I'd be happy to attempt some PBP.

That was definitely the first warm up group on the ice and then they left, I expected Evan to skate and then they announced the resurface, makes no sense.