Question about an American skater | Golden Skate

Question about an American skater

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
A while back, during an interview, I remember Gwendal Peizerat mentioning an American skater who could do jumps in both directions. Could anybody please tell me who he was talking about?

Kasey

Medalist
Probably Rohene Ward, who I think could do at least 2A to both directions, as well as spin in both.

stevlin

On the Ice
Jumping both ways

Todd Eldredge jumped double axels both directions when he was 18/20. Jeffrey Buttle spins in either direction now. ;)

lcd

Match Penalty
just as impressive, have seem him so double axels in both directions... forward edge take off

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably Rohene Ward, who I think could do at least 2A to both directions, as well as spin in both.
Do you have an update on Rohene....I was hoping he would be at Nationals. I love his skating.

Dee

backspin

On the Ice
Do you have an update on Rohene....I was hoping he would be at Nationals. I love his skating.

Dee

He's in Minneapolis, doing choreography & I think some coaching too. I don't know if he plans to compete again or not. He was in Chicago last week doing choreography for someone & I saw him practicing triples on a session.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wonder if he won't try to give it one last push for Olympics next year. I hope so, and hope that he has a 1996 Rudy Galindo performance at Nationals. I :love: Rohene's skating! I'd love to see him do 3lz3lz combo for one thing .

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's in Minneapolis, doing choreography & I think some coaching too. I don't know if he plans to compete again or not. He was in Chicago last week doing choreography for someone & I saw him practicing triples on a session.
Backspin, thanks so much for the update. I would like to see him skate again but it seems like his nerves get the best of him in competition. I'm happy to know that he is working with skating. I hope he earns some money and will be able to have a better life for himself and his mom.

Dee

He should be performing! I hate it that there are so few opportunities for wonderful skaters to use their gifts after they stop competing. Skating needs a brilliant new impresario to stimulate the public's interest again. Like a Diaghilev or Sol Hurok or Lincoln Kirstein. They had (or made) stars, but the impresarios also made a difference.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Backspin, thanks so much for the update. I would like to see him skate again but it seems like his nerves get the best of him in competition. I'm happy to know that he is working with skating. I hope he earns some money and will be able to have a better life for himself and his mom.

Dee

I understood he got an offer from Disney for HSM. He hasn't started yet, though

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In response to above posts.

I agree Spun I would love to see him just skate.

mskater93, thanks so much for that info. I just hope for the best for him. I think he tried so hard to be unique.

Dee

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OOOh. I hope he will take the job with Disney. My granddaughter loved the Disney show this year. If Rohan's skating, I'll go with her next year. (even if he's inside a some strange outfit.)

Rohene was something special. I will go to see him in an ice show.

btw. When John Curry was auditioning for his Ice Theatre, a skater had to show him spinning both ways, and some jumps, too. I never did see one of his shows, and I regret that. That, one takes for granted at a ballet audition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If Ward would ever skate in competition the way he did in practices, he'd be an OGM easily. I've always wandered what would have happened if he got to work with an American version of Zaiganov...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good point, Ptichka. It worked wonders for Alexei.

Dee