Swan Lake for AP & Sasha | Golden Skate

Swan Lake for AP & Sasha

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
We all knew that Sasha was skating to Swan Lake for her LP. On her website she described her costume stating that you can see both a white swan and a black swan.
http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

I just read on AP's site that she is also using Swan Lake for her LP. Can you just imagine what her costume is going to look like? After all, she had a big butterfly on her Madame Butterfly dress.
http://www.annpatrice.com/news01.htm

Here we go again: with all the wonderful music that is out there, why not use something else? That being said, I'm still looking forward to see their programs.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

euterpe

Medalist
Swan wings on the back of her costume ? If she had them in front, like the butterfly, she'd have to do her number skating backwards.

Arrrrghhhh! NO MORE SWANS!!!!!! They're getting to be as inevitable as Canada geese!

rtureck

Final Flight
I think AP's mother goes overboard with the glitters sometimes, but AP probably has no control over that. I think AP is the only skater who can pull off these costumes without looking ridiculous.

windspirit

On the Ice
rtureck said:
I think AP is the only skater who can pull off these costumes without looking ridiculous.
Hmm, I don't think she could've pulled off Arakawa's 'psychedelic swan' costume. :laugh: (I liked it on Arakawa, though).

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Swan Lake twice

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

I don't care WHO skates to it. I'm sick and tired of the same old music no matter what cuts are spliced together.

Sure, different skaters, different ways. It's NOT the skaters. I'm tired of the music. There's tons of beautiful music out there. Where's the guts to take a chance gone?:(

And now I understand that MK is going to skate to opera which has probably been done by a man, a woman, and pairs. But hey, who knows?:\

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I am going to LOVE the battle of the Swan Lakes. Now, if only Irina would be there, because I want to see her live. *sigh*:mad:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I just read on AP's site that she is also using Swan Lake for her LP. Can you just imagine what her costume is going to look like? After all, she had a big butterfly on her Madame Butterfly dress.

Perhaps it will look like Bjork's outfit at the 2000 academy award ceremony:laugh:

bjork.gif

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt:

Great! I love Swan Lake. I especially love to see graceful skaters like Sasha & Ann Patrice use ballet music - it suits them.

It does not matter to me how many times I hear Swan Lake or Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty or the Nutcraker Ballet - never tire of it!

Really looking forward to this!

I get tired of watching Swan Lake at the Ballet having seen it umpteen times with assorted ballerinas. I find a lot of the music is mediocre Tschaikowsky but there are some pieces that get to me. Attention Chicago posters: ABT will be doing it there in 2004.

To sit through two skaters routines of Swan Lake will leave me gasping for Aranjez.

Swan Lake would be more acceptable in Pairs because it is a sort of weird love story. Ya know, some guy falling for a bird.

I'm sure the moderators will be en guarde when the inevitable comparisons are posted. Who flaps their wings the best?

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

I guess I am one of those "classical snobs" who loves ballet and classical music and opera. Tchaikovsky - mediocre? Never! He wrote more than ballet music. Besides, Ballet music is perfect for skating. In fact, I love it best for pairs - the pas de deux from the Nutcracker in particular. It will be great you'll see!

shine

Record Breaker
Tschaikovsky is a God. Mediocrity? Leave it to the other wanna bes.

Bynx

On the Ice
Re: Swan Lake twice

realistic51 said:
Where's the guts to take a chance gone?:(

Gone!

Why should they take risks
when they won't get rewarded?

Case in Point- "The Miraculous Mandarin"

This program should've been one of the most memorable
masterpieces for Michelle but the critics squashed that hope quick.
And with Frank being Mr.Status Quo "If it isn't broke then why fix it",
that potential masterpiece didn't have a prayer.

Also, with the emphasis on jumping becoming more and more
prevelent, why should Kwan or anyone else take the time to try such things when they'll go unappreciate it.

Kwan's should've been masterpiece was only two weeks old and looked that great! I remember all the negativity coming from every where over that program and many just now in the past year or two have come to appreciate it and be reminded of what they let go.

Last edited:
Tschaikowsy Lovers - Take Heed! I did not put down ole Pete Ilyitch. I put down SOME of his music in Swan Lake. I happen to think the music in the last scene and it's fabulous orchestration (he did his own orchestrations, btw) is nothing short of glorious.
Many serious music critics are not very fond of Tschaikowsky's ballet music other than the music fits the dance.

For me, I love several of Tschaikowsky's works - ALL his symphonies (not just the 5th and 6th) and his Violin Concerto is superb. Listen to it by Jascha Heifitz.

I believe Tschaikowsky has made his place in the music world.

(But Swan Lake on skates does not make the world go round for me.)

Joe

Oh yes, Bynx - The Miraculous Mandarin - Bartok I believe - is quite a musical work and MK's routine was so different for her, and for skating in general. I would love to see her go back to it and work on it. At the time it was a new routine not well rehearsed and used in one of those GP Finals. IS stayed with the very familiar Carmen which she had done many times before.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I have nothing against Swan Lake or any of the classics ... but it is beyond me why any two skaters (especially in the same discipline), would choose the same music for the same season. :confused:

And I agree ... "The Miraculous Mandarin" was wonderful and had such promise. I'm really sorry it was scrapped so quickly. I'd love to see her do it now!

IDLERACER

Medalist
The 1st movement of Tchaikovsky's violin concerto is one of the few classical pieces (there couldn't possibly be more than 10) that I really enjoy, and can instantly identify. I didn't like it a couple of years ago when Kristie Yamaguchi chopped it down to a three minute skating routine. One of these days, somebody really should choreograph a big ensemble piece to it's full 18 minutes.

lavender

Record Breaker
Well I'm assuming Sasha's using some cuts that none of us have ever heard so maybe it won't be so bad but this is kind of funny. I think I just got interested in skating this season.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Swan Lake

I understand that many Russians who have lived through the coup of 1991 have a very dubious relationship with Swan Lake. For those who may not remember, the attempted Russian coup of 1991 involved Gorbachev's cabinet basically imprisoning him at his Crimean resort, and telling the world that the president had to step down because of health issues; they then prepared to take military control of the whole country.

Well, obviously all news were shut down to keep people in the dark. So, 24/7, they played Swan Lake on TV :laugh: I know people who can't stand this music since then!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Re: Re: Swan Lake twice

Bynx said:

Case in Point- "The Miraculous Mandarin"

This program should've been one of the most memorable
masterpieces for Michelle ...Kwan's should've been masterpiece was only two weeks old and looked that great!

Miraculous Mandarin is one of my favorite Kwan programs. I loved that she could perform it that well after just two weeks. I thought the roughness that was there gave it an edge, and that she showed more energy and spark than she had in a while. Skaters are treated as hot-house flowers -- and it is expected that it takes day-in/day-out repetition for eight months to be able to perform a program well. Dancers don't have the same luxury -- they can learn a part in an afternoon, and perform it that night, and sometimes that danger makes the performance.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
lavender said:
Well I'm assuming Sasha's using some cuts that none of us have ever heard so maybe it won't be so bad but this is kind of funny. I think I just got interested in skating this season.

I wonder if she'll use the once long-lost music from the Act III pas de deux, the one that Balanchine used for "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux."