US Commentators | Golden Skate

US Commentators

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I watched the US ladies skate portion of the US Nationals tonight & I have to say the coverage was distracting. Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic & the guy from NBC never stopped talking while the skaters were on. It was annyoying.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Not only annoying, but heavily biased.

Scott went on and on and on gushing about Elaine Z's skater ( saying less about those that skated around her)...then later that over-gushing about Alissa...and that comment "Nice things happen to nice people"...what does that make Rachel..."not nice"?

I can't wait for this evening. Scott heavily pushes Evan in his commentary (I think it's unethical) So I'm sure it will be all about brave, macho, stalwart Evan fighting off Parker and that Evil Crew from Tom Z's stable.

ikfan

Rinkside
laughter

It's the wild cackles and uncalled for laughter that gets under my skin. Can't Scott Hamilton say anything that doesn't end with giggles?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Another thing, although I find Sandra and Scott inane, silly, and annoying, in Scott's case, he's also disrespectful. Notice how often Sandra will direct a question at Scott, which he completely ignores. Not even the courtesy of a quick reply. He also interrupts her. Very rude.

Again, I can barely stand Sandra, but Scott is getting just plain rude.

Also, Scott seems to have toned down a little some of his high-pitched screams after jumps, but not enough! He still sounds like he's about to wet his pants after certain elements by certain skaters.

Hey, networks, skating ratings have declined in the USA. Get a clue! If you want a different result, you have to DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Doing the same thing over and over will only get you the same result! Start with NEW commentators!

turtle

On the Ice
Not only annoying, but heavily biased.

then later that over-gushing about Alissa...and that comment "Nice things happen to nice people"...what does that make Rachel..."not nice"?

I was thinking exactly the same thing at that moment. He didn't sound professional at all. Another moment of irritation was when a skater planned 3-3 but ended up doing 3-2, here he's saying "that's smart." I was annoyed by that comment because I really wanted the skater to successfully land a 3-3 and I was so disappointed that she didn't. He also said about Hacker being smart because she does only the easy jumps she can do well (that comment alone is okay). Then he chuckled and said something like "of course she's smart because she's going to Princeton." Please...

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well, I definitely miss Terry, Dick and Peggy :(

That were alot more fun commentating than these people

The only one I like commentating out of all those people is Tracy Wilson during the Free Dance. I thought she was wonderful

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually I thought they called yesterday very well considering their last few outings. Is it perfect, no.

I don't recall Scott ignoring Sandra. I will have to rewatch. Personally I tune her out, too. I have a feeling they aren't as buddy buddy as Scott and Tracy and Verne were...

and I don't get all of the 'gushing' for Alissa. he said it outright that he was pulling for her, yes, but so was just about everyone else. They weren't disrespectful to Rachel. They both said that with Rachel you sort of take her for granted because she is so solid and she does just go out there and lays it down. What more is there to say? She's not an inspiring skater.

They also "gushed" or were overly nice or whatever to Mirai and Caroline... yes they talk a lot but so did Dick Button (who - you want to talk about rude - would TALK DOWN to ANY AND ALL who disagreed with him. He was abusive to Peggy many times during a broadcast. Kurt Browning was the only one who stood his ground.)

ETA - it was just refreshing, to me, that they weren't comparing EVERY SKATER to certain PAST SKATER(s) like Dick and Peggy were great at doing. The fact that Michelle or Sasha weren't mentioned here was music to my ears. Let's move on, and quit lamenting the past.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't recall Scott ignoring Sandra. I will have to rewatch. Personally I tune her out, too. I have a feeling they aren't as buddy buddy as Scott and Tracy and Verne were...

Yes, do, last night he ignored at least one direct question by Sandra during the ladies broadcast, and interrupted her significantly when she started commenting FIRST about Mirai's skate. Yes, I find Sandra inane, but any human being deserves basic respect and courtesy from her co-workers. If Sandra starts talking first, Scott, get over yourself and wait a moment before you insert your equally insipid and unhelpful comment.

And I just wish I could tune Scott out, too. He has about 3 staple remarks he makes OVER and OVER and OVER:

We hear, usually at least 3 times a broadcast, that "Suzy Salchow is starting with an easy [insert jump here] to get the feel of the ice." Then we hear that same comment for Linda Lutz and Frieda Flip and so on and on and on.

How many times can he work "fresh legs" into his commentary? Moves a,b,c and on down through the alphabet are easier on "fresh legs," whereas moves 1 through infinity are harder after the halfway program when you're NOT on "fresh legs." Geez, talk about stating the obvious, and using the same phrasing to express the same really very simple concept we can all understand ad nauseum.

Also, every skater should skate "in the moment" and take it one element at a time, otherwise his or her "timing gets off." Virtually every skater either excels at this OR suffers from the lack of it. Skating must really be simple; why don't they all follow Scott's easy strategy for total success?

It's funny, I used to admire Scott and all he's accomplished and his struggles with cancer, but I'm finding my liking and even my respect starting to go completely down the tubes.

However, again, I will say he did tone himself down A LITTLE last night.

ETA: Skategods, PLEASE send P.J. to the U.S.A. We'll be good to her, I promise!

Last edited:

stevlin

On the Ice
Scott Hamilton is a pain in the buttocks!

I am so tired of listening to Scott. He always shows favoritism, says the same ol stuff and he is so annoying. I would much rather listen to Tracey Wilson. I do not like Sandra Besic either. :mad::mad:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dick Button and Peggy Fleming had just as many favorites and catch phrases. They just happened to have the 'right ones' I guess :rolleyes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton might be the most annoying person on the planet. He felt like he had to mention that "every step, every moment, every spin position is being judged" for each skater. One an hour would suffice. Not to mention he hits the roof when a skater land one jump cleanly. They are supposed to be skating well you know.

stevlin

On the Ice
How about Peter Carruthers?

Peter C. always said "you have to have a strong back to land those jumps" Or "he/she has catlike ability" when a skater gets crooked in the air but still lands the jump. So I guess they all do have catch phrases.

I like Scott Hamilton because just loves skating. He is enthusiastic about evrything connected with the sport.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Scott Hamilton's voice gets very annoying. It's hard to listen to it.

It's obvious Scott and Sandra don't like COP because most of their comments revolve around racking up as many points as they can, points points points point-----blah!

Bring back Paul Wylie, please! I felt like reaching into the t.v. and dragging him to the commentators booth.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Scott Hamilton because just loves skating. He is enthusiastic about evrything connected with the sport.
Good for you Math..........NOT!! I wasn't going to comment in this thread until I saw your name. You bring out the naughty in me. If I had to choose between you & Scott, I would choose you. :agree: :clap: :clap:

Dee

Enero

On the Ice
I have no problem with Scott and/or Sandra. They're at least generally positive about the programs they're calling. For the most part their criticisms are constructive, unlike Dick Button who often times would be extremely harsh and downright negative.

Anyways, I think the reason why Scott and Sandra stress points points points is to help the non skating fans who are watching understand better how the sport works. With people falling all over the place and still winning medals over "clean" skates the non-skating fans need explanations on how the scoring works.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The NBC team doesn't really bother me, although I think there were a few times that I wish Hamilton would try to keep his comments brief and not blabber on. But Dick Button was MUCH worse in that regard. I think it injects some excitement into the event...when I was watching ABC often times I felt I was sitting in on some high school ballet competition, uuuhhh...

Actually, I like Ice Network's team of Nancy and Mark (or is it Mike?) the best. Nancy knows when to talk and when to keep quiet, and when she does talk, it is usually informative. I'm not familiar enough with international broadcasters to have an opinion on any of the other teams. I do know that the Japanese commentators tend to be the worst in talking talking talking. At least since I don't speak the language, it's much easier to tune it out than when commentators here blabble on.

Mimzy

Rinkside
I'm very disappointed with Scott and Sandra. I LOVE them both! But - - They were Boring, the "new" scoring system seems to still baffle them, and too much filler rambles with random screams. Not every fall is yell worthy.
Also, time to dump Tracy - She can't pronounce the skaters names most of the time and waxes on & on about Twizzles. Enough!
While we are getting people chucked - Andrea Joyce has to GO! Stupid, mean questions.
Please, give us Paul Wylie! he is young and smart. And when he does say something negative, it is helpful and said with love for the skater. Also Peter Currothers is very nice and informative.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Andrea Joyce has to GO! Stupid, mean questions.

Would folks rather have her or Peter Carruthers? They both seem to be very "businesslike" in their approach to interviews (not that that's a bad thing, per se).

IOW, no matter which interviewer you get, they will ask some of those "tough" questions...it's just part of the process, and the skaters know that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I prefer Andrea to Peter... Peter's questions weren't just mean they were stupid

and I hated it when he'd talk to the Chinese pairs teams and talk slow and loud. You'd think with his international experience he'd know better. *facepalm*