MEN'S LP and the CHAMPIONSHIP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

MEN'S LP and the CHAMPIONSHIP

The one thing that came out of the Men's National Championship is the emergence of two new talented skaters. Although Jeremy showed his threat at the Grand Prix final, as National Champion he has definitely made his mark. Brandon was just awesome and has an incredible future ahead.

What a breath of fresh air to have these fine young men to watch in the future. It's no longer all about Evan and Johnny.:agree:

Dizzy
And it's not just with those two. The entire roster of male skaters from Novice to Seniors was so exciting. First time for me, I was fascinated with Novice.

Were you there, Dodhiyel?

Evan's SP was, not just in my opinion, but probably the best skate he ever had despite looking like the Knight of the Templars while skating to a bolero. His ovation was well deserved. Unfortunately, Jeremy's SP was better - definitely with the quad.

In the skating order for the LP, he followed Brandon and Bradley both with quads. I think that hurt him inside. He had to do it perfectly. It was the first jump and it didn't happen. The rest was lackluster. Sad because his SP was so good.

As for Johnny, I know what it is like to see your fave go down the tubes but these things happen, and I think both Johnny and Evan will rise from the tubes. :agree:

I saw three of the skaters, I thought Tommy Steenberg was wonderful. His LP is well choreographed.

Right now they have the Scholastic Honors award ceremony and I have to note, I think Rachael looks really pretty with her hair down.
I've been waiting for Tommy to have at least a little breakthrough. He did. He's so musical, and with thos arms, hands, fingers to Don Q, it was great.

I know the 'biology' of it all... but it's still frustrating... :laugh:

kinda like Kurt said in 94 - "I felt so GOOD out there!" yeah, Evan looked SO GOOD out there, and then the music started...
If you like Kurt, you will LOVE Johnathan Cassar. Not a prime time skater yet but worth a look at On Demand.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - I know who Jonathan is and I do love his skating. Saw him in 2006 when he was a ... I want to say Junior ... loved his programs even though he didn't skate the best I'm sure he can.

Cassar is a sweet skater, but something of a late bloomer. He is already 22. He trains now in the same group with Eliot Halverson, BTW.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I managed to finally see it! Mroz was really good. Everybody was raving about his Quad, so I thought it is a Ponsero-Quad - but it is actually a Joubert-Quad. Of course there is nothing wrong with a Joubert-Quad, it's just a lot more muscle and a lot less pretty ;)

I liked how he interpreted the music, though I think he still needs to learn how to do a "complete" program. His musicality seemed to come up at points and then vanish when he prepared for jumps - in contrast to that, Abbott rarely loses the music. What I am not happy about are his skating skills, they are average - he seems wooden, sometimes slow - since he has already the Joubert-Quad, he can try to learn Joubert's way of gaining loads of speed with very little movement. But congrats to him, what a powerful performance, so much improvement since the beginning of the season.

Me loves Ryan Bradley, yes, I am that shallow...

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Were you there, Dodhiyel?....

Joe, surely you are not suggesting that only people who are present in person at the rink have the right to an opinion about the skating!

BTW, in the GPF last season, Evan did not even make the Final, while Johnny, who was still weak from an illness at the time, got the bronze medal. ;)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Evan fixed his 3A??? It looked so scary, I nearly had a heart attack - he is landing so forward, his axis is way off in the air. It looked horrific! He'll better stop fixing it, his axis might be horizontal when Worlds are around...

flyingnun

On the Ice
If you like Kurt, you will LOVE Johnathan Cassar. Not a prime time skater yet but worth a look at On Demand.

I thought this guy was incredible. I think the only performance I enjoyed more than his was abbott's. His component scores were a travesty.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
who DOESN'T love Ryan ;)

Me. I think he is so overrated. Cheesy programs with the same old hammed up choreography and his skating skills leave A LOT to be desired, very basic and slow. His skating always appears muscled and labored to me. Plus, he is so immature for someone who is 25 years old.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, yeah, I didn't want to say anything but his 2007 LP at Nationals is really the only time I've cared about him.

Joe, surely you are not suggesting that only people who are present in person at the rink have the right to an opinion about the skating!

BTW, in the GPF last season, Evan did not even make the Final, while Johnny, who was still weak from an illness at the time, got the bronze medal. ;)
Dodhiyel. I'm not at all suggesting that only people present at the arena have a right to an opinion. I can't afford all those trips and many of my opinions are based on what I saw on icenetwork, now.

I appreciate comments not in accord with mine because sometime I learn something. However, when comments about a favorite are made I take it in with a grain of salt.

I am not interested in past performances but only those which are currently on view. I haven't seen On Demand yet and maybe Johnny looks better on that medium than he did live. The World Team is based on results of the podium in accordance with USFS rules. I would have no problem with Johnny going to the Words if he earned the podium.

Sorry, we misunderstood each other.

Nan

Rinkside
Big congratulations to Jeremy Abbott!!! Love his skating and he got me interested in skating again. He is such a classic skater.

Also congratulations to Brandon. He certainly deserves to be going to Worlds! If they would not send the silver medalist to worlds it would be a big joke.

Last edited: