Gala | Golden Skate

Gala

kikakiks

On the Ice
I just watched the gala. congratulation to all the skaters, the were almost all relaxed.
I was particularly impressed by Brian "happy mood" exhibition. I enjoed also Contesti: I thought he could only do the cowboy but he was really enjoyable dancing frank Sinatra.

Lepisto was very conscoius of her win, almost too conscious, and was really supported by her home crowd. But after all the other ladies you could see how she is still juniorish and a bit robotic in her movements. Maybe it was just the music not right for her, but she is indeed inferior presentation wise compared to Meier and Kostner. After this gala I could tell in my opion that it wasn't yet her turm to be at the top of European ladies.

The most timid applause was given to Kostner, who actually did a wonderful exhibition to a really lyrical italian pop tune. I wonder why she does not use that kind of music in competion since it seems the one she does best at (remember 2007 Canon short program at worlds?). I think she should use that kind of music in the olympic year is she is smart.

Last edited:

jiggs

On the Ice
Loved Carolina. What a beautiful skate! She has such natural elegance, nothing is fake when she skates. Just beautiful.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought Carolina had a lovely exhibition, and I was also happy to see her doing something other than You are a Woman, which I'd seen enough of. I'm not sure why she didn't get more applause, she has been nothing but gracious about Laura Lepisto's win, when other skaters might have complained quite a bit considering the circumstances.

I'd hoped to see the Kerrs and Yannick Ponsero, but either I missed it or Eurosport didn't show them. I also missed Contesti - which Sinatra was it? I remember Stannick Jeannette did My Way a few years ago and it was great, but then IMO just about everything he skated was great. :)

Brian Joubert's I'm Yours EX was very cute. I'd seen parts of it on Youtube before, but it's much nicer on TV rather than as a shaky and somewhat blurry fan video. It was great to see Brian show a different side to his skating, but I don't think he would feel right with that sort of music for a competitive program - he seems to feel more comfortable with more dramatic pieces.

Yuko Kawaguchi's costume was awful. That's three strikes in one competition, please let the costume designer be out after this :cool:.

Was there a finale after the synchro stuff? Eurosport cut away at that point, which surprised me as they were not switching to a live event, just to taped highlights of the gala.

Trewyn

Medalist
Lepisto was very conscoius of her win, almost too conscious, and was really supported by her home crowd.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. She's obviously fully aware of the fact that she's going to have to work so hard to carry the crown of European champion...

kikakiks

On the Ice
I thought Carolina had a lovely exhibition, and I was also happy to see her doing something other than You are a Woman, which I'd seen enough of. I'm not sure why she didn't get more applause, she has been nothing but gracious about Laura Lepisto's win, when other skaters might have complained quite a bit considering the circumstances.

I'd hoped to see the Kerrs and Yannick Ponsero, but either I missed it or Eurosport didn't show them. I also missed Contesti - which Sinatra was it? I remember Stannick Jeannette did My Way a few years ago and it was great, but then IMO just about everything he skated was great. :)

Brian Joubert's I'm Yours EX was very cute. I'd seen parts of it on Youtube before, but it's much nicer on TV rather than as a shaky and somewhat blurry fan video. It was great to see Brian show a different side to his skating, but I don't think he would feel right with that sort of music for a competitive program - he seems to feel more comfortable with more dramatic pieces.

Yuko Kawaguchi's costume was awful. That's three strikes in one competition, please let the costume designer be out after this :cool:.

Was there a finale after the synchro stuff? Eurosport cut away at that point, which surprised me as they were not switching to a live event, just to taped highlights of the gala.

they didn't show the finale, they probably had no time left...I was so curious to see what they came up with since the synchro exhib. was very spectacular.

I don't remember the song of contesti's exhibition but I am positive I saw Sinatra on the screen when the skater came on the ice.

gio

Medalist
Lepisto was very conscoius of her win, almost too conscious, and was really supported by her home crowd. But after all the other ladies you could see how she is still juniorish and a bit robotic in her movements. Maybe it was just the music not right for her, but she is indeed inferior presentation wise compared to Meier and Kostner. After this gala I could tell in my opion that it wasn't yet her turm to be at the top of European ladies.

I think Laura had a nice exhibition program. I like that girl (together with Alissa and Joannie).

figuristka

Medalist
The Kerrs was wonderful. Probably my favourite of the Gala performances. They skated to Scottish music, was it from Braveheart? John had on a kilt as well , i have a feeling it was from one of their programs from last season.

and Yannick Ponsero came out in with skiies over his skates and ski sticks.The crowd seemed to enjoy it. He crashed to the ice later removing the skies and then removed his ski clothes to reveal just shorts and a hawaii like top.

Contesi i think did a 3 axel but would have to watch it again.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Kerrs was wonderful. Probably my favourite of the Gala performances. They skated to Scottish music, was it from Braveheart? John had on a kilt as well , i have a feeling it was from one of their programs from last season.

and Yannick Ponsero came out in with skiies over his skates and ski sticks.The crowd seemed to enjoy it. He crashed to the ice later removing the skies and then removed his ski clothes to reveal just shorts and a hawaii like top.
Thanks, figuristka! I've actully seen both those exhibitions on Youtube in the past. John and Sinead's would be the gala version of their Scottish OD from last season. Yannick's is what Doris once termed the "ski and surf" exhibition, I think I saw a video of it from Stars Sur Glace.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Great Gala!

I usually don't like Laura Lepisto, but I thought her exhibition program was fantastic.

Why can't Carolina skate during competions the way she did during the gala? She was so touching, so emotional.

I love Brian's skating, but I really don't like it when he does this sort of stuff. As for his encore to Sandstorm as WOW as ever!!!

I thought Contesti was boring, like Alban. I just really don't like jazzy programs.

I love Yannick's program. I've seen it loads of times, yet I never get tired of it.

It's always a pleasure to see K&N's Night on a bald mountain".

I'll never get bored of the Kerrs' Scottish program, although it's a shame it's so short!!!

P&B's program was great, really modern!

I didn't really like S&S's program, I really prefr the one to Chris de Burgh.