Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: What happened to Johnny Weir?

  1. #91
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    it could also be added stress... how many hours do they sleep when heavily training? Scott Hamilton listed a very weird schedule when he was training as a world class skater... and I assume others have similar ones, if not even more intense... it makes sense that they're immune system is compromised.

    add in their travelling outside of their realm of known "attacks" and voila! illness left and right.

  2. #92
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,110
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    JMO.By asking them to consider his previous results, he is asking to be placed on the World team instead of someone else because of his achievements.
    I didn't get that impression at all. He had, just moments before, finished an uncharacteristically disappointing performance, and his emotional reaction was, gosh, I hope folks don't judge me on that performance alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by brigichan
    Instead, he decided to compete... He fought for it as hard he was able to, and finished where he finished.
    Thank you. The end. Go Johnny in 2010!

  3. #93
    Custom Title Tigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    100 Acre Wood
    Posts
    782
    Just wanted to clarify something from a couple pages back...

    Someone posted about Sandhu not going to Nagano despite the fact he came in second at Canadians that year. It wasn't Skate Canada/CFSA's decision to not send him to those Games. That was the Canadian Olympic Assoc/now Cdn Olympic Committee's call. They had far more stringent qualifying standards going into those Games which didn't take into account the "what if someone just comes out of nowhere" scenario.

    For a Canadian skater to be named to the 98 Olympic Team, they had to place w/in the placements to make the team at Cdns, which Sandhu did. The other requirement was that a skater had to have a top ten placement at an International event either the season before or during the 97/98 season. That was the sticking point as Sandhu had never competed as a Senior before those Canadian Championships, therefore didn't have any International placings.

    Skate Canada/CFSA wanted Sandhu on the Olympic Team as they saw what kind of potential he had. W/all of the attention on Elvis going into Nagano, Eman could just go, gain experience and fly under the radar while going to an Olympics w/no pressure on him at all. The COA/COC dug in their heels and said the rules were the rules and Eman did not go to Nagano.

    The COC has since loosened the qualiflying standards a little bit to allow for that type of a scenario, if it happens, so the athlete in question could represent Canada at an Olympics. I noticed that whomever posted about that mess thought that Skate Canada passed Eman over for Jeff Langdon for that Olympic team, when that wasn't the case at all.

    It does make one wonder though "What if Sandhu had been allowed to go...?". Doesn't it?

    Anyway...Just thought I'd clear things up regarding all of that.

    As for what Johnny said...It was said before the final flight had even skated and Johnny knew what he'd done wouldn't stand up. That's it. That's all.

    Sheesh...The way people are reacting, you'd think the World had come to an end. :rolleyes:

  4. #94
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    A skater's skating life is very short at best. At best Johnny doesn't have many competitions left. That's why people are upset. There is nothing irrational about it. Emotional perhaps (we love him), but not irrational.

  5. #95
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Many rinks on the East Coast
    Posts
    31

    Immune system problems

    I think that athlete's problems with their immune system is all about the close quarters that they find themselves in. They fly internationally a lot. Every time that I go home to Europe, I get sick as soon as I get back. I think it's the plane ride and germs that I am not usually exposed to on a daily basis.. Then, they often stay in the same place (hotel or Olympic quarters) . It doesn't take a great scholar to figure out that when you put a bunch of stressed out, tired people from different places into a small area, someone is going to get sick. So, I think that they should give some consideration when their athletes are sick because of conditions that the federation puts them in. Not to say that Johnny should absolutely go. I am just saying that it should be considered.

  6. #96
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    A skater's skating life is very short at best. At best Johnny doesn't have many competitions left. That's why people are upset. There is nothing irrational about it. Emotional perhaps (we love him), but not irrational.
    Tigger's avatar is Kurt Browning. He's been skating for how many years? If Johnny wanted he could skate as a professional (and if the rumors are true that he's been blacklisted from the current shows IMG/Disson put together - which I doubt - then he can do like Scott Hamilton and create his own line of skating shows). However, from all interviews/articles I've read it sounds like once this part of his life is done, he's done with the sport.

  7. #97
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    THERE. IS. NO. DIFFERENCE.

    The reasoning for wanting the bye in either case is the exact same - "hey we weren't medically sound at Nationals, don't consider just this competition when determining the World team."
    Yes there is - how can you say there is no difference when one of them skated and the other didn't??? Not skating at all because of injury and skating badly then saying ignore the skate cos i was ill is very different.

    Ant

  8. #98
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    JMO.

    By saying that he hoped the USFSA would consider his past results and accopmlishments, it seems to me like he was not expecting to place in the top three (which the World Team is normally based on). By asking them to consider his previous results, he is asking to be placed on the World team instead of someone else because of his achievements.
    I disagree - the quote is that he hoped he would be put on the team and this was on a TV interview. Did Johnny ever actually approach the USFSA and request that he be named to the team? I don't think he did.

    Ant (who hopes he wins the lottery )

  9. #99
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I don't think he looked ill in Cleveland, and nutrition is more than just moderate exercise. It has a lot to do with diet, and digesting the essential nutrients in food. It could be he is not eating well. I have no idea what Johnny does when he is not skating in a show or competition.

    He didn't skate his best SP or his LP. It happens and more than likely he will snap back to doing his bests again. Suguri is a perfect example,

  10. #100
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Yes there is - how can you say there is no difference when one of them skated and the other didn't??? Not skating at all because of injury and skating badly then saying ignore the skate cos i was ill is very different.
    For some reason you seem to think the act of not skating gives a skater some special warranty. As if doing nothing is better than trying and not winning. That's just bad logic. There isn't a difference (in terms of deciding the World team). The fact is that B/A and Johnny were both not in good physical health for Nationals and that's all that needs to be taken into consideration.

    If the U.S. wants the best results at the World Championships, they should send the best people. If Johnny's health has improved then he should absolutely be named to the World team. His international record speaks for itself. Brandon Mroz does not deserve to go to Worlds (given the unfortunate circumstance of only being able to send 3 skaters per country). Look at what just happened at 4 Continents - he performed (relatively) poorly. He didn't do great during the Grand Prix circuit earlier this year either.

    Bradon Mroz's ONLY strong showing as a Senior was at Nationals this year. Why should one good competition be worth more than everything else Johnny has accomplished? It ISN'T. Saying anything else and naming placements for the World team based only on the results at Nationals is backwards thinking. It's blindly following tradition for tradition's sake. In other words - IGNORANCE.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •