What happened to Johnny Weir? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What happened to Johnny Weir?

samba

On the Ice
In ice dance is different, USFS will definitely prefer to send B/A to Worlds than other teams since they are top world rank team. There is none in the history that low rank teams could take over teams like B/A even with their best skate in life. The scores were pre-judged upon your world rank, not your performance that night. Judges' preference dictate your destiny. B/A knew that they do not have to compete if they do not feel ready and still could go to Worlds.:yes:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No they didn't fail to deliver at nationals. They didn't go! They did the equivalent of phoning in sick to work! They were injured and told everyone, following procedure, that they would not be competing and then asked to be considered for the world team despite not being able to attend the competition. All procedures were followed and within the rules, they were named to the team.

Why are people finding it so hard to understand the difference??

THERE. IS. NO. DIFFERENCE.

The reasoning for wanting the bye in either case is the exact same - "hey we weren't medically sound at Nationals, don't consider just this competition when determining the World team."

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, there IS a difference between getting BEATEN in a competition and WITHDRAWING. There is a HUGE difference. Johnny was beaten by FOUR OTHER SKATERS by a minimum of 17 points, B&A withdrew before the event and petitioned for a bye. It's the same as a good skater who has a bad skate at Regionals or Sectionals.
I would suggest if you are unhappy with the way this selection happened, I would suggest that you join your local skating club, run for the board and build a power base at Governing Council so that you can be elected president of USFS.

skatingbc

Final Flight
THERE. IS. NO. DIFFERENCE.

The reasoning for wanting the bye in either case is the exact same - "hey we weren't medically sound at Nationals, don't consider just this competition when determining the World team."

There is a difference.

Belbin and Agosto basically said, "Hey, We're not able to compete just yet due to Ben's injury. Please consider our previous accomplishments and allow us a place on the World Team."

IMO, by competing, Johnny is saying that he is okay and 100% ready to compete. Asking the USFSA for a place on the World Team after his poor performances reduces him to a sore loser in my eyes.

I hope that the USFSA sticks to their guns and the top 3 get to go to Worlds, unless someone withdraws on their own accord. Before the 1998 Olympics, Skate Canada (CFSA back then) didn't send Emanuel Sandhu (silver medallist at nats) to the Olympics and instead sent Jeff Langdon (bronze). At this point, Sandhu was a newcomer (first senior nationals) and Langdon seemed to be the safer choice I suppose. I realize that this is not exactly the same situation, but it's still extremely unfair. Why should Emanuel have been kicked off the team after having earned the spot, supposedly?

Hopefully, Johnny will see this as a blessing in disguise. He will have extra time to get himself healthy. One thing I would personally love is for him to come out with some fantastic new programs. I have found the past couple years that his programs seem very similar, and it's a bit boring. Yes, he's a beautiful skater and yes, he definitely has talent and wonderful style, but I don't want to feel like changing the channel when he skates anymore!

Also, I can understand why perhaps he's not the USFSA's golden child, like Evan is maybe perceived to be. Am I crazy or did he not wear a CCCP team jacket to Olympic practices in Torino? I'd be pretty peeved if a Canadian skater wore another country's team jacket...vintage or not.

Last edited:
It's sad for Johnny and all the US skaters who did not qualify for the World Championships in Los Angeles. There will be a lot of Hollywood glitz at that championship. But Johnny can still make the trip to Vancouver next year and he knows what he has to do.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a difference.

Belbin and Agosto basically said, "Hey, We're not able to compete just yet due to Ben's injury. Please consider our previous accomplishments and allow us a place on the World Team."

IMO, by competing, Johnny is saying that he is okay and 100% ready to compete. Asking the USFSA for a place on the World Team after his poor performances reduces him to a sore loser in my eyes.

I hope that the USFSA sticks to their guns and the top 3 get to go to Worlds, unless someone withdraws on their own accord.

I agree with you that there is a big difference between B/A's and Weir's situations, but I don't see Johnny as a sore loser. He's not a loser by any means, but I do think he made the wrong choice by competing at the Nationals. I feel he hasn't made the best decisions in his nutrition choices either upon reading the details of his diet and obviously, he made a negative consequential choice with his traveling and scheduling before the very important National Championship. Like you said, by competing at Nationals, he basically gave the federation the green light that he felt he was ready to compete when in reality, he's wasn't fit or healthy enough out there to do his very best, which he needed to do among the USA's deep field of senior men. The committee that makes the decisions of who to send to Worlds has a responsibility to make an objective, unbiased, fair decision of who will best represent the USA internationally based on the results of the US Figure Skating Championships, unless an athlete withdrew from the Nationals due to being unable to compete. The World team of Abbott, Mroz, and Lysacek is the correct choice among these circumstances, IMO.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
I agree with you that there is a big difference between B/A's and Weir's situations, but I don't see Johnny as a sore loser. He's not a loser by any means, but I do think he made the wrong choice by competing at the Nationals. I feel he hasn't made the best decisions in his nutrition choices either upon reading the details of his diet and obviously, he made a negative consequential choice with his traveling and scheduling before the very important National Championship. Like you said, by competing at Nationals, he basically gave the federation the green light that he felt he was ready to compete when in reality, he's wasn't fit or healthy enough out there to do his very best, which he needed to do among the USA's deep field of senior men. The committee that makes the decisions of who to send to Worlds has a responsibility to make an objective, unbiased, fair decision of who will best represent the USA internationally based on the results of the US Figure Skating Championships, unless an athlete withdrew from the Nationals due to being unable to compete. The World team of Abbott, Mroz, and Lysacek is the correct choice among these circumstances, IMO.

Hmm...I think I worded it wrong. It's not that I think of Johnny as a loser. I think his petition to be placed on the World team comes across as somewhat whiny. To be honest, I think there was a possibility that he may of thought that no matter how badly he skated, he would be put on the World team. I guess I've always perceived him to be a bit full of himself. JMO.

If what's being reported as his diet is his actual diet, I wonder, how has he gotten this far? And honestly, if that diet is true, these illnesses are not surprising.

I am a lot more worried about Ben Agosto than about Johnny Weir. Agosto has had back problems off and on for several years. Belbin and he had to withdraw from the 2007 Grand Prix final, too, for the same reason. During his recovery period the doctors allowed him to skate around and work on choreography, but he could not do any lifts.

This year it was the same thing. His back started acting up after the original dance at the GP final. After consulting with team USA doctor Robert Kruse, he was forced to drop out.

In an interview given to Detroit Free Press columnist Jo-anne Barnas on January 9th, Ben said that the injury was "worse than they expected," although in other interviews he tried to put a happier face on it.

In am afraid that there is a pretty good chance that B&A won't be able to do worlds this year after all (along with Domnina and Shabalin.) And I am quite concerned for their long-term prospects.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes, there IS a difference between getting BEATEN in a competition and WITHDRAWING. There is a HUGE difference. Johnny was beaten by FOUR OTHER SKATERS by a minimum of 17 points, B&A withdrew before the event and petitioned for a bye.

And if B&A hadn't withdrawn they probably would have had a sub-par showing just the same as Johnny did. Which is clearly WHY they withdrew. Johnny's placement at this competition doesn't matter at all (or, actually, placing 5th when he is in such poor condition could actually be seen as further testament to his ability as a skater). Johnny is the top ranked American in his field, the same as B&A, and medical circumstances should allow for a bye to Worlds (if he is healthy by then). The difference is that Johnny actually wanted to try and compete because Nationals is important to him. It wasn't important enough for B&A.

There is a difference.

IMO, by competing, Johnny is saying that he is okay and 100% ready to compete.

This is what's wrong with your train of thought. The act of him deciding to compete doesn't mean that at all. Quite a sweeping generalization/assumption on your part.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's important to B/A in that if they aren't up to snuff for it, why would they want to bring it down? their 'subpar' performance would have been a let down to an otherwise edge of your seat competition.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
their 'subpar' performance would have been a let down to an otherwise edge of your seat competition.

Yes, I'm sure that's what was of utmost importance to them. :rolleye:

The fact is that they didn't care enough about the 2009 National Title to compete. They knew they would get a bye to Worlds and they wanted to have more recovery time.

But, for Johnny, the National Title was important. He wanted to try. I don't think that should be held against him (especially since he was blatantly robbed last year). If the competition had been the 2010 Olympics, I'm pretty sure B/A would have tried.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The fact is that they didn't care enough about the 2009 National Title to compete. They knew they would get a bye to Worlds and they wanted to have more recovery time.

In my opinion B & A handled the matter very sensibly. One must understand to make decisions based on one´s condition. I´m sure that they - as any US skater - would have loved to win the 2009 US title.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sometimes I have a feeling that people want to see him in a bad light and they use everything they can to support that image.

Unfortunately, because of their rivalry and their youthful stupidity in their early banter, both Evan and Johnny have this sort of attention. I don't think they take their rivalry as seriously as their fans do. :laugh:

luvsasha

Final Flight
Why wouldn't have B/A wanted to try for the record-breaking 6th title?

Ben's back injury had acted up at the Grand Prix Final, and he wasn't healed enough to compete at Nationals. Makes sense to me....

skatingbc

Final Flight
And if B&A hadn't withdrawn they probably would have had a sub-par showing just the same as Johnny did. Which is clearly WHY they withdrew. Johnny's placement at this competition doesn't matter at all (or, actually, placing 5th when he is in such poor condition could actually be seen as further testament to his ability as a skater). Johnny is the top ranked American in his field, the same as B&A, and medical circumstances should allow for a bye to Worlds (if he is healthy by then). The difference is that Johnny actually wanted to try and compete because Nationals is important to him. It wasn't important enough for B&A.

This is what's wrong with your train of thought. The act of him deciding to compete doesn't mean that at all. Quite a sweeping generalization/assumption on your part.

Since obviously I am completely ignorant and should keep my thoughts and opinions to myself, please enlighten me on what you think should happen concerning Johnny and the World team.

After his free skate Johnny was asked by Andrea Joyce whether he thinks he will be in the world team or not. Johnny answered he was not optimistic but hoped his situation (sickness) would be taken into consideration because he would be better prepared for the worlds. At that moment the final group of men hadn't skated yet.

In Medusa's quote he refers to his international results and like it or not he was the second best American man in the Grand Prix and he is the reigning world bronze medalist.

I really don't see anything egoistic or unsporstmanlike in his comments. I think his answers were classy. Sometimes I have a feeling that people want to see him in a bad light and they use everything they can to support that image.

I'm not saying that Johnny is perfect because he is not. Sometimes his comments have been inappropriate, for example in that fluff piece from last years' nationals in which he made not so nice comments of Evan. That was tacky and unsporstmanlike. However, this season he has been very classy and showed good sportsmanship. He has really matured.

Finally, I don't have a problem with the world team selection even if it reduces my interest to watch World Championships. Abbott, Mroz and Lysacek make a good world team and the USFS took Johnny's situation into consideration and named him first alternate for the team over Bradley. That was a right thing to do because Johnny is much more reliable and internationally proven skater than Ryan.

Basically, Johnny is asking for someone who beat him to be kicked off the team to make way for him. That's not showing great sportsmanship in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Has Johnny said anything more on the matter since the competition was finished? All of his quotes are coming strictly before the last flight of men, from what I can tell, skated.

momjudi

On the Ice
Johnny has not made any public statements since the interview done after his free skate and during the warm up of the final group.