What happened to Johnny Weir? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What happened to Johnny Weir?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the only reason Evan put one in his LP was because he felt that was the only way he would get his title again... it looked great in warm up so he got the go ahead from Frank... it just didn't happen this time around.

I think it'll give him the right mindset leading into Vancouver - he's going to be fighting mad. :yes:

I think Johnny will also be more ready... if he wants to be. I hope he takes time to reflect and also get healthy. See if this is something he really wants.

herios

Medalist
I think that both Evan and Johnny need to stop thinking about the quad. .

I doubt that the quad was on Johnny's mind at all this year. His LP is not built like he has room to include it. He has to skate clean a normal program with 2 3 axels, but he failed to deliver a clean one this year either. He has to go and get stronger, eat better, get more stamina, and more resistent. He might have a sensitive soul, but his body is as fragile. IMO not a real athlete. I mind sound harsh, but, he had all the set-up falling into his lap this season, like a gift from the sky: Buttle and Lambiel retired, Takahashi injured and he remained with Joubert to take the lead in the world and while Joubert was also struggling, his season went downhill from the getgo, instead from building it up. He lost all the momentum and this season ends now for him all of a sudden. Time to reflect first, get a rest and roll up his sleeves. The battle will be fierce next year

Eevun

Final Flight
he had all the set-up falling into his lap this season, like a gift from the sky: Buttle and Lambiel retired, Takahashi injured
The more I think of it, the more upset I get; the #3 in the World are not even given the chance to defend his title!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He was given a chance = US Nationals. He didn't skate his best, he didn't make the team. Simple as that.

Eevun

Final Flight
Yes, of course. But sometimes I feel it's unfair to base it on one single competition, I don't mean US Nationals in particular, but all the countries team take out in general. But I guess you have to do this when you have that many great skaters just waiting to step forward. Your team is fair, cause Johnny have had a really bad season, and some other's a very good. I feel sorry for him, but are pleased for the other and hope they make a good competition.
Over and out.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He was given a chance = US Nationals. He didn't skate his best, he didn't make the team. Simple as that.

It's not that simple at all. Do international results suddenly mean nothing?

Why should Tanith and Ben get a bye, if that's how you feel?

Eevun

Final Flight
The best goes to Worlds, and Johnny simply isn't best right now, that's logical. But I don't want to be logical, I want to crave in emotion!!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Many countries name their Worlds team with a lot of consideration not only based on their Nationals results. A good performance in a single competition is not enough to decide whether he/she is a good choice for the next big competition. Two years ago, Bradley beat Johnny Weir at the Nationals and got silver. What happened in the Worlds that year? Johnny got 8th place but Bradley was in 15th.

I like Brandon Mroz. He, from a hockey player to a figure skater, reminded me of how athletism would play in the figure skating. He is so strong. Jump after a jump. Very impressive! The thing I like Brandon is that he also got good artistic expression. He will beat both Johnny and Evan, and challenge Jeremy if he continues to skate like this. We don't know yet whether he can hold himself up under huge pressure. It's different from skating with no expectations and pressures from the outside.

I am so sorry for Johnny. Find a famous choreographer first next season. I think a good choreography for Johnny is the first step to turn around.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's not that simple at all. Do international results suddenly mean nothing?

Why should Tanith and Ben get a bye, if that's how you feel?

They didn't skate at Nationals... Johnny did. Johnny could have done like Ben and given his reason for not skating. The Ice Dance field is just as deep and strong as the men's... guessing whether or not the USFSA would have told him no aside, he could have done that.

however Johnny CHOSE to stick it out and skate. He had just as much a chance as any of the other men. Abbott was sick too and skated to gold. I'm not lessening what Johnny's gone through, I just find it interesting that Johnny should be given what everyone complained Kimmie should not have gotten last year as a former world champ and current Skate America champ.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
The best goes to Worlds, and Johnny simply isn't best right now, that's logical.

Yeah, but he very well could be by then. I don't know why they can't just have a committee decide a couple weeks beforehand.

They didn't skate at Nationals... Johnny did.

That doesn't matter, very poor reasoning.

I just find it interesting that Johnny should be given what everyone complained Kimmie should not have gotten last year as a former world champ and current Skate America champ.

Those are very different situations, though? Kimmie may have won Skate America but she still skated poorly. And she skated poorly throughout the WHOLE season. Weir has actually shown promise this season.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He's been ill most of the season. Who's to say he won't still be battling this sickness next month? How much solid GOOD training is he expected to have? Shouldn't he be trying to fully recover. He's lost weight because of it. I dunno, if I were Johnny I'd kinda be relieved I wasn't being called to skate anytime soon.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
He's been ill most of the season. Who's to say he won't still be battling this sickness next month?

Again, that's why a committee should determine a couple weeks prior to the Worlds if he is fit enough or not.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yeah, but he very well could be by then. I don't know why they can't just have a committee decide a couple weeks beforehand.

I don't think that's fair to either of the skaters. They need time to prepare.

I think that is the main point - you can't have skaters prepare themselves for international championships on two weeks notice. Whether or you not argue - fine well all skaters being considered for it should train as if they are going, that doesn't work as well as knowing that you are going, and adds to teh crushing disappontment if you don't get to go. And again you're stil left asking - who would be involved in the test skate? Johnny and Mroz? Johnny, Mroz and Lysacek? Jeremy too? If so then surely the 4th placed man (sorry his name doesn't immediately spring to my mind) should have a go too?

I just don't think that would work practically.

Ant

MarieM

On the Ice
That's what the FFSG has been doing for years, let the USFSA do the same plizzzzzzzz:chorus::chorus:

And not sending johnny is a big mistake IMO. He is the one thanks to whom they have three places. Not thanks to dear Evan ....

That's what the FFSG has been doing for years, let the USFSA do the same plizzzzzzzz:chorus::chorus:

And not sending johnny is a big mistake IMO. He is the one thanks to whom they have three places. Not thanks to dear Evan ....
There are Rules about the selection for the Worlds Team. Johnny did not podium. There are no Rules about Alternates, and Johnny got the nod over Ryan.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan might not have secured THIS year's three spots... but he and Johnny TOGETHER have kept three spots... it's not like Evan's this huge failure.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think many of the Johnny lovers are missing the point. Yeah, of course everybody wanted to send Johnny, Evan and another talented skater like Jeremy to worlds. They would have easily wrapped up 3 spots for us for the olympics. Things just didn't work out that way. In Japan, they look at "the whole season" in the U.S, we look at mostly Nationals results, unless there is a strange occurrence. The fact of the matter is that there is no reason NOT to send Mroz, and no reason not to send Evan. I don't think anybody would think of cutting Jeremy from the World team! We can't instantly create a 4th spot just because a great skater did skate so great. We would all love to have that, but we can't. Each country can only send 3 skaters to worlds, max.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Evan might not have secured THIS year's three spots... but he and Johnny TOGETHER have kept three spots... it's not like Evan's this huge failure.

Evan hasn't medaled in the worlds since 2006. He didn't qualify for the GPF and he placed 3rd in the nationals and is currently ranked 6th in the world by the ISU. Johnny medaled last year, placed 3rd in the GPF and is currently ranked 4th in the world by the ISU. Based on consistency and results from the past year, Weir should have been named to the team. He earned that spot for the country and for himself. That B&A were named to the team despite a nagging injury and not Weir is positively hypocritical.

Edit: Another inconsistency---check out the official announcement from the USFSA. Stephen Carriere was named as 3rd alternate after Bradley. He placed 9th at the nationals this year . They bumped three other skaters (Oi, Rippon, Pennington) solely because of Carriere's past results. The reasoning behind Carriere's selection for some strange reason was not used for Johnny Weir.

Last edited: