Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Johnny Weir?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Abbott is not a youngster, he is 23 same as Evan. He cannot wait and they way he's been prepared this year shows that he's a focused athlete, unlike Johhny. He is setting himself up well for his second Worlds and if he would medal, that would be a perfect set up for his Olympic quest. And because historically, when US hosted the Worlds, usually one man medals (hint, hint) I have some very good feelings for him. As far as Johnny, I would not bet right now on him, anyting.
    I wasn't talking about Abbott. (Although he hasn't made the top ten at Worlds and has never been to the Olympics.)
    I also think calling Johnny unfocused is crap, and his international achievements and ranking prove it, even though at the moment, I think he could use the rest.
    But I think the decision was dumb still and I hope to god Evan and Jeremy will get those spots. So you could say I do not share the same good fuzzy feelings... I hope I'm wrong. Still, when was the last time the US National champion medalled at Worlds, the pressure is immense.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-26-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorfax View Post
    Ihope I'm wrong. Still, when was the last time the US National champion medalled at Worlds, the pressure is immense.

Michael Weiss in 2000

didn't Evan medal in 07? He has two world bronzes... doesn't he? *brain fart... give me a break I've been up since 2am!*

Custom Title
    He medaled in 2005 and 2006

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think that both Evan and Johnny need to stop thinking about the quad. They can bot do it beautifully in practice, but that is not helping them when it counts. Evan was 4th in Torino after a very bad short and no quad in the long. If he skates clean, and works on his 3 axles more to get them cleaner he would easily medal. Same goes for Johnny. All the quad stuff gets them injured and tired and WAY to stressed out.

I think the only reason Evan put one in his LP was because he felt that was the only way he would get his title again... it looked great in warm up so he got the go ahead from Frank... it just didn't happen this time around.

I think it'll give him the right mindset leading into Vancouver - he's going to be fighting mad.

I think Johnny will also be more ready... if he wants to be. I hope he takes time to reflect and also get healthy. See if this is something he really wants.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think that both Evan and Johnny need to stop thinking about the quad. .

I doubt that the quad was on Johnny's mind at all this year. His LP is not built like he has room to include it. He has to skate clean a normal program with 2 3 axels, but he failed to deliver a clean one this year either. He has to go and get stronger, eat better, get more stamina, and more resistent. He might have a sensitive soul, but his body is as fragile. IMO not a real athlete. I mind sound harsh, but, he had all the set-up falling into his lap this season, like a gift from the sky: Buttle and Lambiel retired, Takahashi injured and he remained with Joubert to take the lead in the world and while Joubert was also struggling, his season went downhill from the getgo, instead from building it up. He lost all the momentum and this season ends now for him all of a sudden. Time to reflect first, get a rest and roll up his sleeves. The battle will be fierce next year

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    he had all the set-up falling into his lap this season, like a gift from the sky: Buttle and Lambiel retired, Takahashi injured
    The more I think of it, the more upset I get; the #3 in the World are not even given the chance to defend his title!!

He was given a chance = US Nationals. He didn't skate his best, he didn't make the team. Simple as that.

Yes, of course. But sometimes I feel it's unfair to base it on one single competition, I don't mean US Nationals in particular, but all the countries team take out in general. But I guess you have to do this when you have that many great skaters just waiting to step forward. Your team is fair, cause Johnny have had a really bad season, and some other's a very good. I feel sorry for him, but are pleased for the other and hope they make a good competition.
    Over and out.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    He was given a chance = US Nationals. He didn't skate his best, he didn't make the team. Simple as that.
    It's not that simple at all. Do international results suddenly mean nothing?

Why should Tanith and Ben get a bye, if that's how you feel?

The best goes to Worlds, and Johnny simply isn't best right now, that's logical. But I don't want to be logical, I want to crave in emotion!!

Custom Title
    Many countries name their Worlds team with a lot of consideration not only based on their Nationals results. A good performance in a single competition is not enough to decide whether he/she is a good choice for the next big competition. Two years ago, Bradley beat Johnny Weir at the Nationals and got silver. What happened in the Worlds that year? Johnny got 8th place but Bradley was in 15th.

I like Brandon Mroz. He, from a hockey player to a figure skater, reminded me of how athletism would play in the figure skating. He is so strong. Jump after a jump. Very impressive! The thing I like Brandon is that he also got good artistic expression. He will beat both Johnny and Evan, and challenge Jeremy if he continues to skate like this. We don't know yet whether he can hold himself up under huge pressure. It's different from skating with no expectations and pressures from the outside.

I am so sorry for Johnny. Find a famous choreographer first next season. I think a good choreography for Johnny is the first step to turn around.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 01-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's not that simple at all. Do international results suddenly mean nothing?

Why should Tanith and Ben get a bye, if that's how you feel?
    They didn't skate at Nationals... Johnny did. Johnny could have done like Ben and given his reason for not skating. The Ice Dance field is just as deep and strong as the men's... guessing whether or not the USFSA would have told him no aside, he could have done that.

however Johnny CHOSE to stick it out and skate. He had just as much a chance as any of the other men. Abbott was sick too and skated to gold. I'm not lessening what Johnny's gone through, I just find it interesting that Johnny should be given what everyone complained Kimmie should not have gotten last year as a former world champ and current Skate America champ.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eevun View Post
    The best goes to Worlds, and Johnny simply isn't best right now, that's logical.
    Yeah, but he very well could be by then. I don't know why they can't just have a committee decide a couple weeks beforehand.

They didn't skate at Nationals... Johnny did.
    That doesn't matter, very poor reasoning.

I just find it interesting that Johnny should be given what everyone complained Kimmie should not have gotten last year as a former world champ and current Skate America champ.
    Those are very different situations, though? Kimmie may have won Skate America but she still skated poorly. And she skated poorly throughout the WHOLE season. Weir has actually shown promise this season.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 01-27-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast