World, 4CC, Jr. World Teams announced | Golden Skate

World, 4CC, Jr. World Teams announced

flying camel

Medalist
I really hope Mirai skips juniors. She should find out what is going on with her ankle. I think Zhang will do 4CC. She has already won juniors. I hope Ashley skips juniors also. But I guess if she doesn't get to go to 4CC she might do Junior worlds. But it seems like a step down for her to me.

We have a lot of other age elegible skaters for junior worlds. These girls need more experience. Gilles, Diggs, Maxwell all appeared to skate very well. I wonder why at least one didn't get picked?

ks777

Record Breaker
I was hoping Mirai was done for the season! She needs to take care of her ancle... Hope she decides to rest instead..She already done jr worlds twice and she won't miss out on anything.

LeCygne

Final Flight
We have a lot of other age elegible skaters for junior worlds. These girls need more experience. Gilles, Diggs, Maxwell all appeared to skate very well. I wonder why at least one didn't get picked?

As I mentioned above, USFSA wants the sweep again. But I agree, I'd love to see Maxwell and especially Gilles go because she missed out last year even after winning juniors.

feraina

Record Breaker
Would Caroline go to 4CC AND JW? I would think that if she goes to 4CC, and skates relatively well there, she would skip JW. What's the point of doing JW again after 4CC??? I can't believe USFSA isn't sending Britney Rizo, Angela Maxwell, Kristine Musademba, or Alexe Gilles. Wagner doing JW, I can understand, since she only did it once and only got a bronze. Mirai already did it twice and has both silver and bronze, and anyway, she really needs to stay home and rest that ankle, and work on her jumps.

Well, I'm just glad that Caroline is getting sent to 4CC. I am ambivalent about her going to JW. She's not short of experience at the JW level, she might be best off using a longer off-season to work on her technique and skating skills. On the other hand, it'd be cool to try to be the first 2-time JW champion.

Final Flight
thanks Ms. Swan...aka LeCygne ;)

very helpful - i guess belbin/agosto had to petition - not just automatic "reputation"
i just hope Brandon Mroz will be included....he has a quad and a SOLID 3A. i hate the raw assumptions people have on the international judges' potential reaction on a new senior.

oleada

Record Breaker
This so stupid and short-sighted of the USFS. Maxwell, Bereswill, Musadema, Gilles and Rizzo all had successful JUNIOR international seasons and skated well at Nationals. They should be the ones to be sent to JW. They are the future of US skating and should get the chance to get exposed to the international judges as well as the chance to compete on the big stage. It's not like they wouldn't get three spots - two of the girls medaled at the JGPF and two others qualifed. There isn't much international competition in terms of keeping 3 spots.

Wagner already went to Worlds. What a step back from her.

Besides, Wagner, Nagasu and Zhang are NOT junior skaters. They are senior skaters who happen to be age-eligible for JW. JW shouldn't be second best for skaters who didn't qualify for Worlds.

I am very annoyed and upset at this decision.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I actually see the point for putting Nagasu and Wagner on the JR World team they did beat the other young juniors fair and square.

But why the heck should Zhang get Four Continents and JR Worlds. Why not let Zhang go to Four Continents, and give Giles the Jr Worlds spot, since Giles placed the highest at Nationals. That seems really only fair.

lmarie086

Medalist

They're sending Adam to Jr Worlds? Just as with Caroline, Ashley and Mirai I find that strange. He won already, give another guy a chance.

And Piper Gilles misses out on Jr Worlds again! I agree with the choices but I feel bad for her and Donohue.

ETA: Why is Carriere an alternate for Worlds but Adam isn't? Adam finished 2 places and about 8 points ahead of Carriere.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I actually see the point for putting Nagasu and Wagner on the JR World team they did beat the other young juniors fair and square.

But they are not Junior skaters. Shouldn't the Junior World Championships be about the best JUNIOR skaters, not the best senior level skaters who didn't quite make it to Worlds? Last year, I could understand it - Mirai, Caroline and Rachael weren't old enough for Worlds. But this year they are, and when was the last time they competed as Juniors? They all already won medals, what's the point?

It's a very raw deal for the other girls.

By the way, Musademba, Maxwell, Bereswill & GIlles all scored higher intenrationally than Nagasu.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I'm good with these picks. USFSA has clearly decided who will be getting their support going into the big one, now only a year away. The now-juniors will get their shot. After 2010.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that one of these young ladies will finish ahead of Zhang/Wagner/Nagasu/etc and in the top 3 at Nationals and could possibly go to the Olympics. And then what kind of major championship experience to they have? Nothing.

Gilles, Maxwell & Rizo all do triple-triples. Gilles and Musademba have all the triples - and Gilles is one of the few Americans who doesn't get an edge call on either her flip or her lutz.

Rippon isn't a junior either. Keegan Messing was robbed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm so thrilled that the Shibutanis are going to Jr worlds. I thought for sure that they would not be, because they are so young.

I expect that a lot of skaters will decline their invitations to Four Continents and Junior Worlds. The actual roster could be quite different from this announcement.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's interesting that the alternates reverse in Men's. If someone pulls out of 4CC's, Ryan goes. If someones pulls out of worlds, Johnny goes.

And Navarro and Bommentre get to go to 4CC's!

enlight78

Medalist
I don't think jeremy will go. Brandon and Evan needs to go to see how the fair internationally. Alyssa needs to go to build confidence in front of international judges. Caroline will want to prove herself. So I believe only one spot may chang in each discipline in only in Canada. I think most the skaters will go.