Hersch on Johnny | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hersch on Johnny

I think they sent a clear message to both with the way they judged this nationals. It's not the Evan and Johnny show anymore.
I guess I am just naive. I don't think the USFSA judges are in the business of sending messages. What i think is, Abbott skated the best, Mroz the second best, and Lysacek the third best.

At least they gave Weir a break by naming him the first alternate before Ryan Bradley, who had a great outing in Cleveland.

lmarie086

Medalist
But didn't Johnny kind of deserve this reaction for saying 1. He hates when people get byes but 2. Get him a bye anyways. Plus, isn't there always a lot of excuses from Johnny in terms of why he wasn't ready.

I'm liking Johnny a lot better in a lot of ways, and I think he has a lot of heart. But I think he needs to put himself in Mroz's place and ask how he would feel if someone didn't come fully prepared for Nationals, skated poorly, and then asked to be placed on the team, based on previous performances.

I wasn't aware that Johnny had said he hates when people get byes. And he does seem to have a slew of excuses, but he truly has had a lot of health problems this season (I think a lot of that could have been prevented if he'd taken better care of himself, but oh well).

It's a complicated situation for sure. I far prefer Johnny to Evan but he didn't skate better than him at Nationals, though Evan wasn't very impressive either in the LP. But then you throw in the fact that Johnny was a lot better than Evan on the GP. I surely wouldn't know what way to go. But I definitely wouldn't take Brandon off the team- he has definitely improved since the GP (a lot!) and I was quite impressed with him.

Eevun

Final Flight
"I'm a single, sparkly boy standing in the middle of the ice by myself. I see no comparison between Michael Jordan and myself in that respect.''
:bow: Well said, Johnny. <3

I began to cry when I read USFSA's choice for Worlds. That made this season the worst ever. So much weird happening this season. Retirements, injuries, illness, total meltdowns. You can't be sure of anything any more, you can't trust the most reliable skaters who seemed to be written in stone. Some call it exciting and change of generation; I get sick.
And when I read what this jerk had written I almost cried again. Haven't his mum told him not to kick someone when they are down?

As for Johnny's results at Nationals and the consequence: Maybe USFSA want to the give the younger some experience. They're sending a rising star, an experienced and a newbie. A quite wide team. They don't need the 3rd guy to be reliable for the Olympic spots securing. Sadly, for Johnny :frown:

And I will cry every time at Worlds when an American male skater enters the ice, because he's not Johnny :cry:

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
I'm liking Johnny a lot better in a lot of ways, and I think he has a lot of heart. But I think he needs to put himself in Mroz's place and ask how he would feel if someone didn't come fully prepared for Nationals, skated poorly, and then asked to be placed on the team, based on previous performances.

I didn't see it quite that way. Each one of the skaters has to look out for himself and his own interests; I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and who wouldn't want to be on the World team? If Johnny and Brandon had each other's resumes and the roles were reversed, I'm sure Brandon would have made the same request. I hope he would have made the same request! No harm in asking. The only shame is in not gracefully and humbly accepting the decision if it goes against what you want. I'm sure that Johnny will accept his fate--with some sadness, but with sportsmanship, I'm sure.

I wish Johnny could go, too. I wish it were Jeremy, Brandon, and Johnny, actually.

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
At least they gave Weir a break by naming him the first alternate before Ryan Bradley, who had a great outing in Cleveland.

I was really surprised to see that decision, actually. But I think it was the right one. I adore Johnny, Jeremy, AND Ryan, and I had never seen Brandon before yesterday, but I like him a lot now, too. It's hard to know who to root for when you're a fan! I'm sure the difficulty is exponentially higher when you're a USFSA decision-maker. . . .

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess I am just naive. I don't think the USFSA judges are in the business of sending messages. What i think is, Abbott skated the best, Mroz the second best, and Lysacek the third best.

Please don't think I'm saying they judged incorrectly here. They didn't. They "got it right"... but, we didn't see them holding up the "two rivals" either. Which is something new.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
No, that is not true. Johnny's SKATING was not good enough.

To say that JOHNNY was not good enough changes the focus of the article away from skating and turns it into an attack on Johnny's character.

That is why I can't stand Phil. He has attacked other skaters personally in the past instead of sticking to the skating facts, and he will continue to do so, that is his ridiculous style. After I read the article I said to myself there goes Phil spewing his venom again.

Calm down, Eevun. Johnny's used to this. He's very strong under that skinny sparkly exterior. He's not going to let Evan (or Jeremy, or Brandon) walk away with the Olympics. :biggrin:

Eevun

Final Flight
I hope not... I want to see him in a big competition again. It hurts to realize that it will be over a year to that competition (if he won go this year as reserve, things can happen, people get sick so :rolleye: ). And I won't think of the mass-retirement we'll have to face after Olympics... >_<

My own impresson is that Johnny has to take it more seriously. He may well like to travel and enjoy the company of colleagues. Nothing wrong with that, but if his goal is to win the Olympics, he has some staunch competition right here in the USA. And then there are two Japanese Men, the three European Men, and now, Brandon Mroz, but we have to see if that was not a fluke.

The best way to get to Carnegie Hall is to practice, practice, practice.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
My own impresson is that Johnny has to take it more seriously. He may well like to travel and enjoy the company of colleagues. Nothing wrong with that, but if his goal is to win the Olympics, he has some staunch competition right here in the USA. And then there are two Japanese Men, the three European Men, and now, Brandon Mroz, but we have to see if that was not a fluke.

The best way to get to Carnegie Hall is to practice, practice, practice.

ITA Joesitz. Johnny has not been skating well this season and Brandon outskated him.

As for the complaints about Hersch, athletes being criticized in the press comes with the territory. Whether anyone agree's with Hersch or not, press can be and are often savage to those they write about. the press is paid to be critical - period.

eliza88

On the Ice
I am very upset that Weir was not named to the World team...I have often felt that the USFSA has not backed him as much as they should. He is my fav male skater and it KILLS me that he won't be at World's!! Part of me thinks if Evan had landed in 5th they would have stuck him on the team! I think Jeremy, Johnny, and Evan should be sent...sure Mroz skated his best but I think it should be about sending the strongest team possible...I don't think team placements for World's should be made off of ONE competition! Argh!

One more thing...international judges LOVE Johnny!

eliza88

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I believe that Belbin/Agosto got the bye because they are last years Nat. champion. Johnny was the silver medalist at Nationals.

No, Johnny won Nationals last year. Let's not even bring it up again. Aside from absolutely horrible judging, they blatantly scored incorrectly by using the wrong rounding method in the computers.

amateur

Final Flight
You know, my main thought is that it certainly much better for this to happen to Johnny this year instead of next. Maybe through this he'll learn something more about how to prepare for next year. It has to happen this way sometimes - that's sport, and life.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What if they think that Johnny's "over"? :eek: Horrible thought!

then he comes out next season and he skates like he normally does which is super well and he makes the team. it doesn't matter if THEY think it's over.. it's whether HE believes it or not. If HE thinks it's over, then it is.

Eevun

Final Flight
then he comes out next season and he skates like he normally does which is super well and he makes the team. it doesn't matter if THEY think it's over.. it's whether HE believes it or not. If HE thinks it's over, then it is.

But what if he thinks that too... *hides under a blanket and cries a little* I'll be waiting for his next journal entry...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Then if he thinks it's over, it is.

Life will go on. Skating will go on. Yes, when a favorite retires/leaves the sport it's devastating to the time. But ask yourself this - are you merely a fan of one skater or the sport itself? Getting worked up over this because he has a blip in his career is not helpful to anyone - especially yourself. The sky isn't falling. Breathe! :biggrin:

Eevun

Final Flight
Without thinking, it's the sport itself, but I'm conservative, I don't like changes. Johnny isn't The Skater for me, but one of my favourites and will always be special to me after I got to meet him last year. This season, his programs haven't been much to me, (to be honest, I think I like the Johnny off ice more than the Johnny on ice) but as many say; Johnny is always Johnny. Worlds is the only chance for me during the year to see him (if I don't want to hunt bad quality videos at YouTube that still will be removed after a day or two). All my favourites are gone or down this year (the exactly same thing happened to German Stefan Lindemann). I like Jeremy a lot too and I'm thrilled to see what he can to in LA, and I guess too many cooks spoil the broth, you have too many good skaters right now :D