Exhibition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Exhibition

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Heather - your avatar trips me out, I'm so used to Brian Roberts (that's who it was right? LOL) that I don't realize it's YOU posting lol I do double and triple takes lol

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Heather - your avatar trips me out, I'm so used to Brian Roberts (that's who it was right? LOL) that I don't realize it's YOU posting lol I do double and triple takes lol

Sorry to freak you out! :laugh: I had my avatar set to Amanda & Mark the last time they won a medal at US Nats so it seemed appropriate to have it be them again. :agree:

And besides that, Brian actually got married to some model recently so he's now dead to me. ;) :p

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I recorded the exhibition on DVD as I was at the gym. I see that I was mistaken; they did show Caroline. A few observations:

She seemed to have her famous "mule kick" on her first jump, but it seemed to be absent on her second. She must be working on it. She did a spin that I don't remember seeing before. Most importantly, she did an arabesque spiral and then went directly into a forward charlotte. This should be a big point getter in competition.

I think this girl is going to do some serious damage next week in Vancouver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sorry to freak you out! :laugh: I had my avatar set to Amanda & Mark the last time they won a medal at US Nats so it seemed appropriate to have it be them again. :agree:

And besides that, Brian actually got married to some model recently so he's now dead to me. ;) :p

Oh that's just so sad. :laugh: *hugs* I miss you.

ANW

On the Ice
Caroline Zhang's "River" Ex.
http://www.dailymotion.com/carolinemaoyuna/video/x87uvk_caroline-zhang-2009-national-exhibi_sport

I recorded the exhibition on DVD as I was at the gym. I see that I was mistaken; they did show Caroline. A few observations:

She seemed to have her famous "mule kick" on her first jump, but it seemed to be absent on her second. She must be working on it. She did a spin that I don't remember seeing before. Most importantly, she did an arabesque spiral and then went directly into a forward charlotte. This should be a big point getter in competition.

LeCygne

Final Flight

She only did one flip/lutz. The second jump was a loop and therefore not a victim of the mule kick... That first fall didn't look too good though.

^ Thanks so much for posting the link!

ANW

On the Ice
The mule kick doesn't bother me much, it's her "speed", the "speed" she skated in the competitions. From what I saw, Caroline skated much faster and more relaxed in practice and exhibitions. And her SP in 2007 GPF was really really impressive, a lot of speed and ice coverage, IMO that's her best so far. I wish she could skate like that again in the future she is completely capable of skating much faster than people think.
She only did one flip/lutz. The second jump was a loop and therefore not a victim of the mule kick... That first fall didn't look too good though.

^ Thanks so much for posting the link!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Could they choose a better song for Alissa's exhibition? :love:

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine

swizzletwizzle

On the Ice
I thought it was so smart of them to have Samuelson/Bates at the beginning and the end. Dance is a bigger part of figure skating than it used to be, and they are up-and-comers in the sport. It's nice that they showcased them a bit.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I thought Alissa's program was perfect. It really said Champion to me and reminded me of Michelle's exhibitions...heartfelt and filled with good skating no acting silly.
Raechel was good, her jumps looked amazing and so did Ashley's. I was like WOW.
I thought that Keauna and Rockne's music choice was a little to sexy for them, but they carried it for really well.
Caroline did not look happy or confident at all...but it was a really nice program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I still remember Kristi's program to the same song, so it wasn't as "special" but I did think it fit her perfectly (Alissa/Bridge Over Troubled Water)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I liked Alissa's choice of music but I wish she had done more skating and
less spins. I know that her spins are a wow factor but I just thought there were to many in this program.

shine

Record Breaker
Jeremy is such a genius. His musicality and versatility is unmatched in the eligible rank today IMO. I loved that SP of his and see nothing wrong with him keeping it as an exhibition program. I really wouldn't be worried about his jumps as he landed all 3 triple axels at this and everything else at this competition except the easier 3loop which he popped in the LP.
Can't wait for 4CC!

OMG! NBC is showing Amanda and Mark?! Has hell officially frozen over?!:eek:
and why not? Their LP was very special. The EX was ok.

I can't understand your rant on McL/Bru. Such anger you have! It must be the fans you are angry with. The USFS has allowed Den/Bar to have equal publicity for both teams. It was Rena and John who cut E/L out of the picture.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just found it weird because he used it for his exhibition last year...

Yes they did and her spins brought tears to my eyes (familiar as they are). She skated to one of my favorite Joni Mitchell songs - a somber choice for a 15-year-old with so much ahead.

The men were uniformly unimpressive. I am so sick of hip-shaking and shoulder wiggling. Who really likes to see that??? Plus, a US championships exhibition without Johnny... I admit I was ill-disposed.

I loved almost all the pairs and dance teams and Alissa was fine. ITD (disagree) with those who enjoyed Rachael's Respect. I thought it was a poor move for this still juniorish skater to take on the Queen of Soul. She did NOT pull it off, IMO. Ashley maybe - Rachael no. Speaking of Ashley, I unfortunately missed her number, darn it.

Since I've been so critical of Rachael's music I'll make a positive suggestion for her in another thread.
Were you there, Spun Silver? To me nothing in that whole 'show' was anything special. The Men indeed were unimpressive and the rest were passable to ok. The whole affair was so gloomy with so few people in the audience.

btw, did they show Johnny who appeared at the beginning of the show talking to some official(?) in the K&C. Since I am going deaf, I did not hear a word of it. What was going on?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - no, they didn't show Johnny - however he was given his Skating Reader's Choice Award, IIRC, during the exhibition.

the exhibition started with Samuelson and Bates doing a lead in that was filmed in the lobby of either the arena or the rock n roll hall of fame, never did understand where they were... and then they cut to Ryan Bradley intro-ing Keana and Rockne

Joe - no, they didn't show Johnny - however he was given his Skating Reader's Choice Award, IIRC, during the exhibition.

the exhibition started with Samuelson and Bates doing a lead in that was filmed in the lobby of either the arena or the rock n roll hall of fame, never did understand where they were... and then they cut to Ryan Bradley intro-ing Keana and Rockne
Thanks Toni. I saw him in the K&C talking to some officials just before the 'show' began. The conversation was on the loud speaker, but with my ears I just didn't get it. He was fine and dressed in civilian clothes.

Ryan and Rockne have a 'thing' going on between them not unlike Crosby and Hope did. It's fun to listen to.

Were you there, Spun Silver? To me nothing in that whole 'show' was anything special. The Men indeed were unimpressive and the rest were passable to ok. The whole affair was so gloomy with so few people in the audience.
No, I just watched on TV. It must have been dreary without a good audience. I rarely find exhibitions or show skating really "special." They use music that rebuffs my classical soul and some of the cheap effects (bump & grind type stuff, playing with hats, etc.) are turnoffs. But some skaters take this medium seriously and excel in it - Johnny, Mao, Joannie and Caroline, among others. And these days we have to take what we can get on TV. I did enjoy this one more than I expected and was proud of our young dance and pair teams, and Caroline and Alissa.