Cohen considers Olympic comeback | Golden Skate

Cohen considers Olympic comeback

Sounds pretty definite. It seems nothing has been able to take the place of competitive skating in Sasha's life. This will be very interesting. Welcome back and good luck, Sasha! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She says she will decide IN JUNE, after the SOI tour and a short vacation. At that point she will have just 6 months to get in shape for 2010 Nationals after having been away from competitive skating for nearly 4 years. I don't see how she could possibly do it without incurring some sort of injury.

In the past, when she's tried to make up for slack periods by sudden intensive training, she's either suffered injury or come down with illness.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Chuckm, good point. While I could (sort of) buy the idea of Cohen's comeback given today's field, I'd think she would start sooner than that if she were serious about it.

I think the operative word is 'considers'. The answer is sometime in June (after the 4CC and Worlds). The author seems to be working on the hopes of the Sasha fans. The author could have written a similar article about Fratiane, Sumners, Thomas, Kerrigan, etc who never won an Oly gold had they considered a return to competitive skating. Would he/she?

More important are the possibilities if she decides to give it another go:

1. To return to Nats 2010, she would need to go through the regionals/sectionals and qualify. Correct?

2. I believe she could go to Olys by her silver in 2006. Correct?

So baited breath till June.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha would not have to go through Regionals and Sectionals because she is a reigning Olympic medalist. But she is NOT guaranteed a spot at the 2010 Olympics. She must qualify by competing at 2010 US Nationals.

She says she will decide IN JUNE, after the SOI tour and a short vacation. At that point she will have just 6 months to get in shape for 2010 Nationals after having been away from competitive skating for nearly 4 years. I don't see how she could possibly do it without incurring some sort of injury.

In the past, when she's tried to make up for slack periods by sudden intensive training, she's either suffered injury or come down with illness.
The article says Nicks has been training her again. And her most recent skating clip (Moonlight Sonata) shows it. I think the process has started but she's waiting to see how far she can go. I too worry about the impact on her body, but OTOH the time away may have allowed her old back problem to fully heal. Anyway, I sure hope so.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article says Nicks has been training her again. And her most recent skating clip (Moonlight Sonata) shows it. I think the process has started but she's waiting to see how far she can go. I too worry about the impact on her body, but OTOH the time away may have allowed her old back problem to fully heal. Anyway, I sure hope so.
Me too.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
The way this was worded struck me as odd

"The reason I am going back isn't because I need a gold medal or some other title," said Cohen, who was second at the Turin Games in 2006. "I need that challenge in my life and that purpose. I think I still have one more in me and it feels incomplete" without it.

the reason i AM going back? Weird way for someone to say that if they haven't made a decision one way or the other. Instead, why not say the reason I'm considering it isn't, or the underlying motive isn't, or something?

I think the real reason is that she wants closure to her career. Her 2006 Worlds FS was her last competitive performance and she knows she will be remembered as the one who couldn't quite put it all together if she announces retirement now. And BS about not wanting an OGM or another title. of course she wants it. Maybe not in the way she did in 2006, but otherwise, why put yourself through all that rigorous training?

I must agree. There might be a smart way to do it but (don't mean this as a bash) I'm not sure she or her coach knows of such an approach. Actually, if she does the GP it would be only FOUR months before Skate America, which is in Nov. this time I think.

"Ultimately it is how you can take advantage of the system and make it work for you," said Cohen

That is true.

Said Nicks, who has been training Cohen again: "They are not going to over-reward the little jumping bean anymore."

We saw that at US Nats. The "jumping bean" Rachel Flatt defeated by a prettier, but more flawed Alyssa Czisny

Last edited:
Look at it this way. Alissa won U.S. nationals by attempting five triples and landing three. Sasha can try six and land four -- voila! -- she's the champ!

Plus, if Alissa can get solid mid-sevens on PCSs, what might the even more exquisitely artistic Sasha be able to reach for? :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael Flatt can consistently perform a 6- or 7-jump FS cleanly, something Cohen was never able to do at a major event. She has also landed clean 3/3s in competition,also something beyond Cohen's technical capabilities. And does anyone think that 16-year-old Rachael is not going to work on her presentation between now and 2010 Nationals? Her musical selections worked against her this season, and I am sure her team will choose better music to which Rachael can fully relate for the Olympic season. She is already remarkably developed musically, as every note of the music is expressed in her movements on the ice.

It is foolish to dismiss Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim as jumping beans. Mao soundly defeated Cohen in the 2005-2006 GP, and Yu-Na is capable of doing the same in the future.

The current version of CoP is very different from what it was when Cohen last skated competitively. She will be severely dinged for her flutz, and her once-unique spins and spirals are being done as well or better by many other skaters these days.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think anyone, including Nicks is counting Kim or Asada with the jumping beans. I think it was in reference to the many little American girls... which is why the term was even coined (jumping beans - Tara & baby ballerinas - Sasha)

She definitely has her work cut out for her, that's for sure - but then look at Fumie's recent success. There is an opening, the questions are whether she'll be able to take it and whether her body can handle it. I repeat, the article and her recent skating clearly indicate that her retraining is underway, so IMO the idea that she is foolishly trying to wage a comeback after six months of training is flat wrong. The effort has begun - she will formally announce her return if and when the effort proves successful - ie when she's convinced she's got her groove back (or better). Go, Sasha!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt can consistently perform a 6- or 7-jump FS cleanly, something Cohen was never able to do at a major event. She has also landed clean 3/3s in competition,also something beyond Cohen's technical capabilities. And does anyone think that 16-year-old Rachael is not going to work on her presentation between now and 2010 Nationals? Her musical selections worked against her this season, and I am sure her team will choose better music to which Rachael can fully relate for the Olympic season. She is already remarkably developed musically, as every note of the music is expressed in her movements on the ice.

It is foolish to dismiss Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim as jumping beans. Mao soundly defeated Cohen in the 2005-2006 GP, and Yu-Na is capable of doing the same in the future.

The current version of CoP is very different from what it was when Cohen last skated competitively. She will be severely dinged for her flutz, and her once-unique spins and spirals are being done as well or better by many other skaters these days.

If they both skate clean, I can't see rachel beating Sasha. She was clean at nationals and look what happened. I agree that Sasha can't beat yu-na or mao, but if her goal is not to win, that doesn't matter if sasha skates clean and be the best placing american lady at the olympics that would be a great closure for her, and that should be her goal.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If they both skate clean, I can't see rachel beating Sasha. She was clean at nationals and look what happened. I agree that Sasha can't beat yu-na or mao, but if her goal is not to win, that doesn't matter if sasha skates clean and be the best placing american lady at the olympics that would be a great closure for her, and that should be her goal.

Technically, Rachel wasn't clean at Nationals. She got an under-rotation on the 3T at the end of the combination. If she could have gotten that, she would have won the long and ended up 1st overall....