The US Nationals Ladies Podium | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The US Nationals Ladies Podium

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you meant flatteRing? ;)

she needs to work on her rounded shoulders.

kyla2

Final Flight
Result

The result was exactly right. Alissa was better overall and the quality of her program and skating was better. It was clear to the majority of average viewers and educated viewers as well.

I don't like to talk about someone's physical appearance typically but in response to the comment above: Rachel is not homely. She has unusual looks that are attractive. She is growing into her looks IMO. If she looked like my Ford F-150 truck you might have a point, but she doesn't. She needs to work on her presentation, which I think she is doing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachel need not worry about her Looks. Like Meissner in 2006, she just needs to get more of her personality out there. I see it in her gala performances; why not in her competitive routines?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
probably because of the 'seriousness' of the event... personality gives way to steely resolve?

I'm totally expecting only 2 Olympics spots for ladies. With Asada, Kim, Rochette, Kostner, Ando, Suguri, and Lepisto on the ice, it will be difficult for Flatt and Czisny to combine and finish 6th and 7th on a world stage, particularly Alissa, IMO. It would be the same story with any of the current US ladies.
I certainly agree with you. I was just thinking of the possibility that Rachael and Alissa could earn 13 points at Worlds. Your expectations of 1st-4th are certainly expected, but the battle between Ando, Suguri, and Lepisto are athletes who have shown not-so-good days at every event.

So for me there is a genuine battle for 1st and 2nd with Rochette and Kostner battling it out for the bronze. I think the last 3 mentioned would go for the win or bronze, and could not care about 6th and 7th place. Facing the crowd and judges in LA can be scary. Rachael and Alissa understanding they are underdogs, will be more relaxed in their home country.

We'll soon see.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have this nagging suspicion that the one of the reasons why Rachael doesn't seem to get the score is because of her looks?

This is really a shallow reason but lets face it, Rachael is not the prettiest girl out there.
Does that allow judges, USFSA, media, and the fans to dismiss her performance more easily at a subconscious level?

There have been lots of not-so-pretty champions, including Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes. I hardly think the judges are quite so shallow. Fans and media? perhaps.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rachael is just beginning to develop as far as looks. I understand that she is being endorsed by a cosmetics company, so I expect her looks to improve.

OTOH, Alissa's teeth stick out, so I wouldn't call her beautiful.

Beauty is of course, a matter of personal taste.

OTOH, Alissa's teeth stick out, so I wouldn't call her beautiful.

The winner of the most beautiful smile contest! :)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200506/skatecanada/action/czisny-smile.jpg

Runner up. (Tara). :)

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/10/12/previews/Tara Lipinski-LRS-008418.jpg

Bronze. :)

http://krasobrusleni.wbs.cz/Jeffrey_Buttle_for_web.jpg

Beauty is of course, a matter of personal taste.

The most beautiful currently active skater.

http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2007/11/03/TWRgLjnG.jpg

(OK, I'm a sucker for a round face.) :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm with you on the most beautiful skater though...last picture. I don't mean Alissa is ugly, just that I don't find her face any more attractive or less attractive than Rachael's.

and smiling like that, she looks like Bucky Beaver to me. Or like an ad for corn on the cob, just as she is about to bite into them. Or like the wolf in Grandma's bed in Little Red Riding Hood. The teeth occupy far too large a percentage of the face. (BTW the worst for this has to be Morgan Matthews while skating.)

Who knows how people's tastes work? Not me! I don't even know how my tastes work.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Alissa is very beautiful, and I don't notice anything wrong with her smile... it's *big* but that's not a bad thing...

Medusa

Record Breaker
Female: Sarah Meier

Male: Maxim Trankov
Don't agree on Meier :no: Maybe because I know lots of girls who look like her, clean and neat and proper. But then again I also think that Lepistö is more stunning than Korpi.

Agree on Trankov though. Which brings us back to the calendar...

Most stunning female skater is Ando I think. Rachel is average, just like Rochette, Asada, Kim, Kostner etc.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If it was based on looks Irina nor Sarah would have ever won anything.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
If it was based on looks Irina nor Sarah would have ever won anything.

Oh, I think Irina's beautiful, esp with shoulder-length hair. Ever see any of her wedding pictures?

And I've heard it reported that Sarah is attractive in person -- people have said she looks better than she photographs (or films). ??

But I'm weird in so many ways, there are few people I find ugly but also few that I find especially stunning. Czisny's average to me, as are so many female stars like Jennifer Aniston, the Simpson girls, and so on. Not ugly but not stunning either, just average. Even the mature Kimmie to me is certainly attractive but not outstanding, so when someone like Joubert comments on her good looks, it surprises me.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I think Irina's beautiful, esp with shoulder-length hair. Ever see any of her wedding pictures?

I agree about Irina with shoulder-length hair, and yes, her wedding pictures are beautiful!

Even the mature Kimmie to me is certainly attractive but not outstanding, so when someone like Joubert comments on her good looks, it surprises me.

I agree with Brian . . . Kimmie is a very pretty, wholesome looking girl. Very girl next door look, the girl a guy could take home to mom. :)

Bucky Beaver.

Ipana presents...Alissa Czisny, U.S. figure skating champion and new Bristol Myers spokesperson.

Alissa (sings): Brusha, Brusha, Brusha.
Here's the new Ipana
With a brand new flavor,
It's dandy for your te-e-e-e-eth.

Child in distress: Help! Save me, Alissa! Mr. Bad Tooth Decay Germ is after me and he is going to give me cavities!

Alissa (leaps out brandishing toothbrush): Brusha, brusha, brusha!

Child: And it tastes good, too!

(For people under 60 on this board, that was a famous U.S. television commercial starring Bucky Beaver from the 1950s. :laugh:)

As for Rachael, just watch. By the time the MAC cosmetics people are done with her she will look like Marilyn Monroe (to mention another 1950s icon.)

Edited to add: Here's Sarah. Nothing like the right necklace to accent a pretty face.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0100243/images/2002/02/22/SarahGetUsed2It.jpg

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Can't believe the topic has shifted to looks now :rofl:

As for Alyssa, yes, she has an overbite but that doesn't take away from her overall skating package. At least IMO.

I think she's better-looking than average. But I don't find myself going "wow" or "damn she's hot" or any of that. :p

Actually, I think I agree with the folks that say Sarah Meier. I've had the fortune to find some really stunning photoshoots of her.

ETA: here's some photo evidence :)

http://www.sarahmeier.ch/pub/gallery/lancia_sarah.html

Even the mature Kimmie to me is certainly attractive but not outstanding, so when someone like Joubert comments on her good looks, it surprises me.

Incidentally, Meissner was one of the guest skaters at my SOI stop last year. After the performances, she shook hands of the people sitting about 3-4 chairs right of me. For a few seconds she was only a few feet away from me and I got a good look at her. I must say I agree with Brian. Pictures don't cut it. I was surprised myself as well.

And I've heard it reported that Sarah is attractive in person -- people have said she looks better than she photographs (or films). ??

Wouldn't surprise me, although I think she already looks great in pictures...but I'm referring to Meier. I don't know if that's the Sarah you're referring to.

Last edited: