Music trends | Golden Skate

Music trends

gio

Medalist
Did you notice that there are music trends in FS that influence the choices of music of the skaters.

I don't know much about skating before the 80s, but from what I've seen, classical music was heavily used.

From the 80s on something changed. Almost every skater used disco music in either the SP or LP, but especially in the SP. I think the trend was started by Denise Biellmann. In the LP there were a lot of music cuts either from classical music and/or from soundtracks.

In the 90s disco music disappeared, the trend was to use more latin pieces and jazzy tunes. Ethnic and folk music was also introduced and a lot of skaters used it for a period. In the mid to late 90s appeared also the techno/dance trend that continues in Men skating, but not in Ladies.

The first 2000s followed the 90s trend, but soon surfaced a "new" trend that I'll call neo-classical, especially in Ladies. Classical music is now both used in the SP and LP.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, Skaters copy from each other all the time! One skater does a type a spiral and then everybody else is doing it. Skaters are generally in thier teens and early 20's and have little, if any classical music knowlege. The only knowlege they have is from the sport. Since competitions do not allow lyrics, they can't pick Beyonce or Jay-Z. Another skater had a pretty program to Pas de Duex from the nutcraker, so everybody thinks that is a good selection to use.
also, coaches often times pick the music, and go with the "safe" choices with which prior students have been sucessful. Theus we end up with 100 carmens, missions, toscas and nessun dormas.

I pretty much got to all the comps. I heard only one Carmen; one Warsaw Concerto, and lots of Spartacus.

There was a lot of music variety in Skate Dance, and in fact, variety in all the disciplines in Novice, Juniors and Seniors. Refreshing.

lcd

Match Penalty
I just pray that Moon River doesn't catch on. I'd rather hear another Nutcracker!

Hee hee... maybe somebody should remind the current generation that the notorious Tonya Harding skated her short program to Moon River after the 1992 Olympics... and that would subdue some enthusiasts

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
Hee hee... maybe somebody should remind the current generation that the notorious Tonya Harding skated her short program to Moon River after the 1992 Olympics... and that would subdue some enthusiasts

Yeah, and nothing tops Tonya's medley of "Send in the Clowns," Ton Loc's "Wild Thing," and clips from the "Batman" soundtrack. In my opinion, THAT's the thing no one should dare copy--EVER! :rofl:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Did you notice that there are music trends in FS that influence the choices of music of the skaters.

I don't know much about skating before the 80s, but from what I've seen, classical music was heavily used.

From the 80s on something changed. Almost every skater used disco music in either the SP or LP, but especially in the SP. I think the trend was started by Denise Biellmann. In the LP there were a lot of music cuts either from classical music and/or from soundtracks.

In the 90s disco music disappeared, the trend was to use more latin pieces and jazzy tunes. Ethnic and folk music was also introduced and a lot of skaters used it for a period. In the mid to late 90s appeared also the techno/dance trend that continues in Men skating, but not in Ladies.

The first 2000s followed the 90s trend, but soon surfaced a "new" trend that I'll call neo-classical, especially in Ladies. Classical music is now both used in the SP and LP.

Don't forget the Tangos...
I actually heard 4 Carmen: 2 Pairs, 1 Dance and 1 Lady

rosee

On the Ice
But has anyone ever used Morricone's score from "The Untouchables?"
Here are the 3 famous tracks from that movie.

I think Delshoe did for their Bonnie & Clyde FD. I remember a canadian guy who used it (Ben Ferreira?)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert did - his 2002-3 LP (he did The Mission the year before). Here's his performance of it from Europeans (2nd place): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSVzer72xqw

I'm surprised we don't see more Cinema Paradiso programs, also by Morricone. It's a lovely movie score and it's used occasionally, but not nearly as often as The Mission.

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
Which was the year everyone seemed to skate to Vivaldi's Four Season? I still get sick of it...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So what piece of music is the most used in this season?
I'm not sure I could identify one piece that's used more than anything else, but I can tell you which composer seems most popular: Astor Piazolla. Now, no offense to the late Mr. Piazolla, who composed some beautiful music -but at this point I'd rather have Nessun Dorma than other tango program.

Also, let's have a moratorium on Spartacus, The Mission, and all things Rachmaninoff. I could also do without Blues for Klook.

Eevun - IIRC, 2005-6 had way too many seasons :).

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Didn't Paul Wylie use it during one of his SOI seasons (mid 1990's)?

A music trend of the 1990's that I didn't mind at all, and that continues - using movie soundtrack scores. Thanks to following figure skating, I have bought a lot of soundtracks that I've come to :love: through the years (Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Dragon, The Mission, First Knight, 1492 (haven't seen the movie, but I love the music), Sense & Sensibility, Little Women, lots of John Williams ones ...) So many! :rofl: My CD collection has grown by leaps & bounds.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Which was the year everyone seemed to skate to Vivaldi's Four Season? I still get sick of it...
yes, it was 2005/06 for the Olympics. An homage to Italy: Vivaldi, Romeo and Juliet, Madama Butterfly, Mission, Tosca, Padrino, Turandot... The commentators said that the skaters had chosen this music because the audience knew it, so they could obtain more emotional response.

Does that mean we're in for a lot of mediocre Canadian music? :disapp:
Sorry, Canucks, but I can't think of any impressive Canadian composers. (I only know classical.)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Spun Silver, I can think of a couple of good Canadian film composers: Howard Shore (probably best known for the Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Mychael Danna, who among other things composed the score for Ararat, which Jeffrey Buttle skated to.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Spun Silver, I can think of a couple of good Canadian film composers: Howard Shore (probably best known for the Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Mychael Danna, who among other things composed the score for Ararat, which Jeffrey Buttle skated to.

oh no. So will we see 28 Lords of the Rings? Jeremy Abbott, actually, has the perfect look for it: he looks like a Tolkien's character :)
What about soundtracks of David Cronenberg movies? :biggrin: