New Commentary from Sonia: "A Glimpse of Hope?" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New Commentary from Sonia: "A Glimpse of Hope?"

How much comments can be made if a score has -1 and +2 to discuss? They are not going to change it, and maybe one of the judges will get a wrist slap. That's the end of it. No?

I think that's the end of it as far as that particular competition is concerned.

But maybe the judges feel that they can hone their judging skills by consuting one another and talking it over. Maybe one judge saw something that another judge didn't, and they can learn from each other for next time.

I think that's the end of it as far as that particular competition is concerned.

But maybe the judges feel that they can hone their judging skills by consuting one another and talking it over. Maybe one judge saw something that another judge didn't, and they can learn from each other for next time.
Maybe is the operative word. Looking for correction ifn the future will never be known. And for the present, the skater must suffer or win easily?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ant, those shows have been wonderfully successful in Russia. It was after those televised "projects" as they call them (they have 2 running in parallel), real true skating tours started receiving full houses all over the country. At one point, most sporting good stores ran out of skates because everyone wanted a pair! Sure, I fell nausea at hearing Tarasova claim she'd be able to get X star to the OGM - but I think that at least in Russia, on the whole, those shows have done more good than bad for the sport.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ant, those shows have been wonderfully successful in Russia. It was after those televised "projects" as they call them (they have 2 running in parallel), real true skating tours started receiving full houses all over the country. At one point, most sporting good stores ran out of skates because everyone wanted a pair! Sure, I fell nausea at hearing Tarasova claim she'd be able to get X star to the OGM - but I think that at least in Russia, on the whole, those shows have done more good than bad for the sport.

You see in the UK, sadly, we don't get many (if any) real skating tours come over here. The thing that sells tickets over here? The Dancing on Ice Tour - tickets £50. That's right folks £50 to watch a bunch of Z-listers skate far worse than even i can skate (and i'm not very good). The only "stars" in that show are Torvill & Dean and frankly they really are past their prime, and i don't care for watching Jayne on wires for some of the show either.

I wish the tour that Steven Cousins brought over a couple of years ago would come again - that was truly fantastic skating from real skaters who skate better now than any of the supposed "professionals" on our show have ever skated in their lives. I paid £50 then for on ice seats - now that was worth it. I'd have paid that just to watch Sale&Pelletier!

Ant

tollerfan

Rinkside
Then maybe they should all just do triple jumps nonstop for 4:10, and whoever doesn't collapse is the winner?

Baseball is a sport. Football is a sport. Golf is a sport. Figure Skating is an ARTISTIC sport. If you can't understand that, feel free to stop reading again.

Thanks for your response.
I managed to read the whole thing:laugh:

My post was intended to be about marketing, and currently, it seems clear that the pure sports that you listed above are having marketing heydays, so, one way to improve the marketing of figure skating would seem to be to more closely align it with other pure sports.

I am certainly not advocating jumping nonstop. I am not even against COP for that matter.

Particle Man said:
Baseball is a sport. Football is a sport. Golf is a sport. Figure Skating is an ARTISTIC sport.

Tollerfan said:
My post was intended to be about marketing, and currently, it seems clear that the pure sports that you listed above are having marketing heydays, so, one way to improve the marketing of figure skating would seem to be to more closely align it with other pure sports.

But on the other hand, if we made figure skating more like golf it would be curling.

And if we made it more like football it would be hockey. :)

Last edited:
The bottom line on all this is that Networks in the US do a credible market research on all their programming. They have to in order to sell their product to sponsors so that they can make money. It's business. Apparently, there is no demand for figure skating except on the holiday season. The US does not have a Department of Sports. They do have this: Use the tax payers money to build baseball stadiums. You figure.

If figure skating increases its viewership, (like in the millions) it will soon be on par with golf and poker championships.

If you think I am correct, how would you get more public interest in figure skating? Don't blame it on the networks. They are doing their job in the American Way - more people, more money.

I would have the USFS to do more to increase public interest so that it becomes an item on the sports news. (There is nothing about FS in NYC.)