Laura Lepisto | Golden Skate

Laura Lepisto

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Does anyone else believe that Laura Lepisto has the best skating skills/jumping skills/posture/carriage out of the entire lady's field. She's the most elegant as well. It's so wonderful to watch her skate. She's the one skater out there that reminds me the most of Michelle Kwan. I think if she got the flip and the lutz down she would probably deserve higher marks than Yu-Na or Mao. I really hope she gets them down by the Olympics.

I don't know about all THAT but I loved her performances at Euros. She really developed into a beautiful all-around skater this season and she has the vital spark. And she looked like she was having a blast, which is always a big plus. I'm definitely a fan. :clap:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
She's a classic skater, a Finnish Michelle Kwan. I especially like her perfect posture, as you say. I think she has a charming and elusive coldness that hides a fire. I wouldn't do the comparison with Yu-Na, though. They are different. Yu-Na has a unique way to move on the ice, maybe because she has longer arms and legs.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I like her... watched the Euro competition and she was the best, in my opinion.
However YunA and Mao are better for me. Maybe Laura can still overcome them, but I don't think so... But she's very talented and beatiful skater.

oleada

Record Breaker
Laura could be on the World podium if she got the lutz and flip down. I agree that she has some of the best basics in the world...her blades are so quiet and she has effortless speed. Her spins are also very good. I don't think she's peaked yet - I think we are going to see a lot more from her in the coming years.

I love her short program this year; it's easily one of my favorites from the ladies.

Wrlmy

Medalist
She has one of the best short programs I've ever seen. She totally deserved the pcs marks she received at Euro. She's more Kwan-like than Susanna. They both have excellent skating skills, but Laura has lots of snaps and flair. I wish she gets better long program to showcase her strength.

Audrey19

On the Ice
I'm totally in awe with Laura's skating! If she can get Lutz and Flip consistent, she will be a huge contender, she's got everything to become a big gun IMO. The way she glides across the ice, her speed, her spins - just :love:
I guess she's becoming my favorite of the current ladies.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Indeed, those Finnish Girls are train to have strong basics, probably the best in Europe over Russia.

She is refreshing to watch, with very strong edges, and good speed / ice coverage. Lemme tell ya, I rather watch a skater like Lepisto with great skating skills, good maturity/artistry, with only 3 Triples versus a boring, average, FLAT skater who may have a full build of jumps, especially in this scoring era...

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
Indeed, those Finnish Girls are train to have strong basics, probably the best in Europe over Russia.

She is refreshing to watch, with very strong edges, and good speed / ice coverage. Lemme tell ya, I rather watch a skater like Lepisto with great skating skills, good maturity/artistry, with only 3 Triples versus a boring, average, FLATT skater who may have a full build of jumps, especially in this scoring era...
Fixed it for ya! :laugh:

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
I've always known Finland for producing world class race car drivers.
Now, it has to be included as one of the top figure skating country in Europe...maybe in the whole wide world.

What really impresses me is the level of depth in women's figure skating in Finland.

Finland only has little over 5 million people in the whole country.
Yet, there were able to place 1st, 3rd, and 5th! Amazing :bow:

kyla2

Final Flight
Laura

Laura has some gorgeous skating qualities. Beautiful to watch. Spins are great, but she needs more triples as already stated. However, I would rather watch her in a heart beat over Kostner and some of the others. She has a lyrical, grown-up balletic quality that is rare.

Kati

On the Ice
I'm glad that people love her skating. She is my big favorite, too, and not only because she's from my home country... Jenni Vähämaa is surely coming to be back next year and her skating skills are equal to Laura's, no wonder, because they have the same coach, Virpi Horttana.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
She is really a beautiful skater very similiar to Michelle Kwan. She has excellent skating skills and terrific spins, but has to improve in spirals and get the 3Lutz and 3flip consistent. Do you know if she can land these two kind of jumps in practice?

Medusa

Record Breaker
She is really a beautiful skater very similiar to Michelle Kwan. She has excellent skating skills and terrific spins, but has to improve in spirals and get the 3Lutz and 3flip consistent. Do you know if she can land these two kind of jumps in practice?
She actually landed a fully rotated Triple Lutz on one foot at NHK in the long. I have never seen a Flip though, or even heard of her landing it in practice.

Fashionista

On the Ice
And that was without one of their best (Vahamaa)! It truly is astounding. Did even the USSR ever do that?
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 - all medals were shared between Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Soldatova and Volchkova (in different order in different years).

Kati

On the Ice

I've seen her landing beautiful 3Lutzes in practices,. 3Flips I've never seen from Laura.