Suggestions for Rachael | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Suggestions for Rachael

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yeah, I think yellow is a good color for her, much better than that washed-out blue that she is so fond of. She needs dresses with shorter, more structured skirts, like she wore in the exhibition. Those long skirts make she short legs look shorter. Of course always wear over-the boot tights.
I think she tried to pick music with some strength to it with "La Mer." I see improvement in her posture and spins this year, but she needs to keep up the good work.
As for music choice I think it would be good to show some personality. She hides her good personlity behind these mature pieces of music, which is fine, but I think that audince connection would really give her those extra PCS that she needs.
"Fiddler On The Roof" popped into my head. esp, "Sunrise, Sunset" and some of that great music from the dance scenes. The latter would force her to pick up her speed.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know that Rachael does have back problems. She had a back injury that kept her out of the Junior curcuit in 06-07.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Rachael needs to figure out what kind of music works for her, and differentiate herself from the other teenage skaters. She should not get ideas from what other people are doing or from her choreographer; she should get ideas from her iPod, or from movies she likes, or even from her parents' CD collection (I'll bet it doesn't include Moon River). Getting the music right will help her relate better to what she's skating and to the audience.

I'm sure the MAC people will take good care of her makeup; in terms of styling, I imagine there are ways to make her posture less noticeable. Also, someone should find out which designers the Finnish ladies are using, and call them. Laura and Susanna had some gorgeous costumes this year. The hair, in the few events I've seen her, seemed too severe for a 16-year old. She looks great in that photo Mathman linked to, and while I doubt she can wear her hair down in competition, at least find a happy medium.

As for presentation, I agree she's got some ways to go, but she's young, and I'm sure this will develop in time. Most of all, she needs to enjoy skating and to try different things to see what works for her musically and stylistically.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think she needs to pick costumes in livelier shades - deep Emerald green or ruby red would look great on her. No more blah baby blue! A different costume design that would give her some shape would look good, too.

She seems like a bubbly girl outside of skating, so IMO she should skate to some more upbeat music.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I only ask one thing: if she is going to shift her emphasis, she needs to keep up her jumps (of course, if she grows, that's going to be harder). I keep seeing Meissner 2.0 written all over Rachel's face- sorry to be so gloomy.

flying camel

Medalist
I don't know but for me Rachael looks much older than 16, she has a lot wrinkles around her eyes espcially when she smiles, anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I noticed. Poor girl! But she still has a young sweet face to me. Maybe she spent a lot of time in the sun growing up. Maybe that's the cause for the wrinkles. It is not good to have wrinkles at 16. I hate to see her at 25.

I agree with whoever suggested she try skating to showtunes. I think she would have so much fun with that.

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I think Rachael needs to wear a deep, saturated green and think more about richer fabrics and embroidery rather than sparkly sequins. Sparkly sequins look great on darker skin tones, but just get lost on pasty people like Rachael and me!!!

I think musically, selections from The Last of the Mohicans Soundtrack interspersed with Andrew Bird's version of the Glasgow Reel would be lovely.

Nigel

On the Ice
Yes, I noticed. Poor girl! She has a young face to me. Maybe she spent a lot of time in the sun growing up. It is not good to have wrinkles at 16. I hate to see her at 25.

Did anyone think that perhaps Rachael Flatt is a really happy kid and laughs alot...and those are laugh lines? :laugh:

luvsasha

Final Flight
Tom Dickson choreographed her 2007-2008 programs, and she should definitely go back to him. .

Well, Tom Dickson is fantasic, so it would be great if she went back to him.
Also, I think she should pick a different color besides blue for her dresses. Just 2 dresses of the same color seem a bit much. Last season, she had a red and also a tealish dress and they were very pretty.

I think she could also pick some more peppy music; i think that would do wonders for her. I think part of the problem is she is skating to very slow and kind of boring music, and it only enhances her faults. Her SP last season was on the peppy side, and i realy liked that program.

Actually, what do you think of Czardas? I was actually just listening to that. That's on the peppy side and has sass to it (her SP to "it ain't necessarily so" was pretty sassy). I could also see her skating to the soundracks of one of my favorite composers, Patrick Doyle. I think Little Princess or Much Ado About Nothing could be really good. They are the more mature side (of music) but still have some pep.

Last edited:
I just rewatched some of Rachael's skates and came to the conclusion that I only really enjoy her when she is skating to romantic music.

So scratch the Mozart suggestion (sorry, Mathman) and let's go with some Schumann or (might as well go all the way) Wagner!

The former's Intro & Allegro Appassionato for piano and orchestra (op. 92) seems like a winner to me. Or some big rolling film score.

BTW, the score for the film Blade Runner has a track called Rachel's Song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBKbhrniUQ&feature=related
Too good to be true? It's slow and dreamy, but anyone who has combined Moon River with Rachmaninov should have no trouble finding something peppy to liven up Rachel's Song. Like the main theme, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps96x3oLUUM

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were her.

^^^
I doubt anyone can skate to Wagner's music. If someone did, that skater would be the most interpretive skater in the ISU.

The heroic, the intensity, the romantic styles imbedded in his music is beyond reach for skaters, and I would add most opera singers. Can you imagine a Senior Lady interpreting the Lieberstod? The Senior Man keeping pace with the Ride of the Valkeries?

Yo toe Hoe!!! stay with Mozart, Chopin, and of course, Tosca and Carmen.

And as to what she should skate to, actually Moon River is not that bad for her, but the LP doesn't work. I am for giving her peppier music that she can relate to.
And European judges which are the most in any given international competition tend to frown on Americana music.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Czardas would be great. Also Carmen Burina (I know I'm saying it well) or Dark Eyes too.

Something that Rachael could attack more and would force her to pep up and show personality.

BTW, the score for the film Blade Runner has a track called Rachel's Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBKbhrniUQ&feature=related

Too good to be true? It's slow and dreamy, but anyone who has combined Moon River with Rachmaninov should have no trouble finding something peppy to liven up Rachel's Song. Like the main theme, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps96x3oLUUM

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were her.

OK, I just listened to those two. To me, Rachel's Song seems too slight to support a skating program, and the driving beat of the theme is a little too persistent for me. I think it would be a big challenge to an arranger and choreographer.

BTW, didn't Taylor Firth skate to "Prayer for Taylor" this season?

I doubt anyone can skate to Wagner's music. If someone did, that skater would be the most interpretive skater in the ISU.

The heroic, the intensity, the romantic styles imbedded in his music is beyond reach for skaters...
I have to agree with this.

Sale and Pelletier did Tristan and Isolde in 2001, and for me it was their all time best. But they didn't use Wagner's score, it was a scaled back musical interpretation (Tristan and Isolde Fantasy by Waxman.)

Sale and Pelletier did Tristan and Isolde in 2001, and for me it was their all time best. But they didn't use Wagner's score, it was a scaled back musical interpretation (Tristan and Isolde Fantasy by Waxman.)
It was a nice attempt and I had wished they would have stayed with it. Also, I remember Buttle using T&I but it was short lived. He changed quickly after Skate Canada.

Alicja

On the Ice
^^^

The heroic, the intensity, the romantic styles imbedded in his music is beyond reach for skaters, and I would add most opera singers. Can you imagine a Senior Lady interpreting the Lieberstod? The Senior Man keeping pace with the Ride of the Valkeries?

Yo toe Hoe!!! stay with Mozart, Chopin, and of course, Tosca and Carmen.

If not Wagner, maybe Humperdinck who was influenced by Wagner..I just love the Hansel and Gretel opera... The ouverture is so pretty!

ETA: Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLV_1UOEMdM&feature=related

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Carmen Burina (I know I'm saying it well)

Carmina Burana (carmeena boorana with all a pronounced as in car or sun, the i as in deer, and the u as in school)

trivia: Carmen Burina is funny in Italian (not really Italian but from the capital Rome). It means Carmen (which is a female name) the rude (or gross). :)

Last edited: