Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to... | Golden Skate

Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

Alicja

On the Ice
I think the title says it all! If you want suggest a skater to skate to the music as well...

gio

Medalist
Albinoni, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss, Vivaldi

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
1812 Overture... skate it seriously or tongue in cheek, I don't care I love the music!

R.Straus' opening of Don Juan into the Trio from Der Rozenkavalier. Definitely a Kwan piece. I thik Lepisto could do it.

A good cut of Tchaikowsky's 6th and 5th Symphinies. I think Johnny could do it.

A good selection of Cole Porter with good orchestration for McL and Bru.

Porter's Begjuin the Beguine for The Hubbells. Johnny Mathis version if singing is permitted.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Telemann's Water Music, Overture in C Major, particularly the Gavotte & the sleeping and waking Thetis sections.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
There are a lot of pieces of classical music I would love to see skaters use. Unfortunately. most are melodies from operas or ballets and there seem to be so many people hung up on literal interpretation of story lines, rather than simply personal expression of the music itself, that I would be hesitant to suggest them.

kioewen

Spectator
Wagner, most definitely. Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, for example (the rousing section prior to the wedding march, not the wedding march itself). Lots of great instrumental music in Wagner, to say nothing of all of the magnificent music that could be performed without the vocal parts.

Has any skater ever performed to Wagner?

Beethoven too. 1st movement of the Pastoral, 4th movement of the 7th (which Weber called "the apotheosis of the dance"), and let's not forget that the opening of the Eroica is in 3/4 time.

Wagner, most definitely. Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, for example (the rousing section prior to the wedding march, not the wedding march itself). Lots of great instrumental music in Wagner, to say nothing of all of the magnificent music that could be performed without the vocal parts.

Beethoven too. 1st movement of the Pastoral, 4th movement of the 7th (which Weber called "the apotheosis of the dance"), and let's not forget that the opening of the Eroica is in 3/4 time.
Mathman and I talked a bit about Wagner on another thread. A few skaters did use his music.

Combinin the Eroica and Pastoral would be super with the right cuts.

There are a lot of pieces of classical music I would love to see skaters use. Unfortunately. most are melodies from operas or ballets and there seem to be so many people hung up on literal interpretation of story lines, rather than simply personal expression of the music itself, that I would be hesitant to suggest them.
It's that literal interpretation that kills the performance especially for those who know the story lines. But the story lines help the young skaters to do something with the music. The older skaters should know better. JMO.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony, 3rd movement. I've never seen anyone skate to that before, and it's such a beautiful piece.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Brahms: variation on theme by haydn
Mendelssohn: midsummer night's dream.
Saint-saens: violin concerto second movement.
Elgar: Serenade for strings (adagietto)

Ah, a kindred spirit. Welcome to GS! See the thread on Rachael Flatt where Wagner is vetted!

Tristan and Isolde by Wagner.

Ahhhh!

Eurofan

On the Ice
Joesitz opened the door, so I'm going to toss in "Temptation" by Artie Shaw and "Them There Eyes" by Billie Holiday (Decca version).

Last edited:

Clarice

Rinkside
Leonard Bernstein - the ballet score to Fancy Free, or the Three Dance Episodes from On the Town. There's also a lot of good stuff in the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, even though that gets used more frequently.

Berlioz. I have no idea how things like his Romeo et Juliette or Beatrice et Benedict or Le Troyens or Spectre de la Rose or Aeolian Harp or Francs-Juges overture would translate to skating but he wrote some of the most beautiful music on earth and I'd love to see a wonderful skater take it on.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would like Jeff Buttle to skate to Beethoven's Pastoral (6th Symphony) as well as other pieces by Beethoven.

kioewen

Spectator
Ah, a kindred spirit. Welcome to GS! See the thread on Rachael Flatt where Wagner is vetted!

Thank you. I just had a look at that. I'm first and foremost an Emily Hughes fan, and it's her that I first had in mind when I brought up Wagner. The music is so rich and opulent and dramatic, qualities that I associate with her -- her look, the way she skates, everything. It's not for shrinking violets.

I see that others mentioned Tristan, but that's not what came to mind first. I'm thinking more the early operas, like Tannhauser (an edited version of the Prelude and the eminently skatable Bacchanale), Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, which I mentioned before. I think the phrases in the late operas, Tristan, Die Meistersinger, and Parsifal, are likely too long to skate to.

I actually did see Rachel Flatt perform live, when I attended my first (and so far only) live skating show, Skate for Hope last year. Her skating seems light and airy, which some might like more than I do. Technically precise though. I don't really associate her with Wagner. She's more Mozart.

Last edited: