Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

Custom Title
    Joesitz opened the door, so I'm going to toss in "Temptation" by Artie Shaw and "Them There Eyes" by Billie Holiday (Decca version).
    Last edited by Eurofan; 02-01-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Leonard Bernstein - the ballet score to Fancy Free, or the Three Dance Episodes from On the Town. There's also a lot of good stuff in the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, even though that gets used more frequently.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Berlioz. I have no idea how things like his Romeo et Juliette or Beatrice et Benedict or Le Troyens or Spectre de la Rose or Aeolian Harp or Francs-Juges overture would translate to skating but he wrote some of the most beautiful music on earth and I'd love to see a wonderful skater take it on.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I would like Jeff Buttle to skate to Beethoven's Pastoral (6th Symphony) as well as other pieces by Beethoven.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Ah, a kindred spirit. Welcome to GS! See the thread on Rachael Flatt where Wagner is vetted!
    Thank you. I just had a look at that. I'm first and foremost an Emily Hughes fan, and it's her that I first had in mind when I brought up Wagner. The music is so rich and opulent and dramatic, qualities that I associate with her -- her look, the way she skates, everything. It's not for shrinking violets.

I see that others mentioned Tristan, but that's not what came to mind first. I'm thinking more the early operas, like Tannhauser (an edited version of the Prelude and the eminently skatable Bacchanale), Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, which I mentioned before. I think the phrases in the late operas, Tristan, Die Meistersinger, and Parsifal, are likely too long to skate to.

I actually did see Rachel Flatt perform live, when I attended my first (and so far only) live skating show, Skate for Hope last year. Her skating seems light and airy, which some might like more than I do. Technically precise though. I don't really associate her with Wagner. She's more Mozart.
    Last edited by kioewen; 02-02-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Luv Deep Edges!
    Let's see....

The overture to Rienzi by Wagner. Very heroic, lots of tempo changes and a terrific ending. Perfect for a big male skater - like Joubert.

As someone mentioned earlier, a suite from the ballet score to Romeo and Juliette by Prokofiev. Perfect for ice dancers. Davis and White come to mind.

Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Big, rhythmic, great climax, would need editing. I think this is perfect for pairs: heroic and very strong national character. The German pair team would do this justice.

For the ladies single skaters, there is so much out there..... I can't think of just one piece I'd recommend. I think Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel is just about perfect. Subtle, distinctive also with a great climax.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenorguy View Post
    Let's see....

The overture to Rienzi by Wagner. Very heroic, lots of tempo changes and a terrific ending. Perfect for a big male skater - like Joubert.

As someone mentioned earlier, a suite from the ballet score to Romeo and Juliette by Prokofiev. Perfect for ice dancers. Davis and White come to mind.

Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Big, rhythmic, great climax, would need editing. I think this is perfect for pairs: heroic and very strong national character. The German pair team would do this justice.

For the ladies single skaters, there is so much out there..... I can't think of just one piece I'd recommend. I think Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel is just about perfect. Subtle, distinctive also with a great climax.
    YES. The second suite of Daphnis et Chloe especially (Lever du Jour, Pantomime, Danse Generale). I think Lever du Jour would be wonderful for the most expressive skaters.

Custom Title
    The Adagio movement from Beethoven's 5th piano concerto (Emperor). It was used in the movie "Picnic at Hanging Rock". Beautiful, enchanting piece - very dreamy. And it probably doesn't fall under classical, but the slow, main theme from "Pan's Labyrinth" is also very haunting.

I'd kill to have Alissa, Laura or Caroline tackle any of the above.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Memory, from Cats
    Chariots of Fire theme.

I would love to see someone skate to this instrumental piece. Please listen and see if it is skatable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcoEEQgwGw

Neither piece is classical - movie and theatre pieces - but good suggestions.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Anything that does not have tosca, swan lake, romeo and juliet, bolero or carmen in the name...and why not throw the mission in there are well!!!

I love Hayden...why don't more people skate to him?

How about some John Williams movie soundtracks...there has to be someone out there that can skate to the theme from Star Wars!!!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I love Haydn...why don't more people skate to him?
    Yes, what an interesting choice. Something from symphonies 101 "The Clock" or 104 "London," perhaps, which I think are his best. The slow movement of the 94th has the eponymous "Surprise," but the rest of the movement might be too slow for a good program.

How about some John Williams movie soundtracks...there has to be someone out there that can skate to the theme from Star Wars!!!
    The "Duel of the Fates" (the Darth Maul theme from Ep 1) is a choral piece, but I could see someone doing a really thrilling exhibition routine to that.

many skaters have used the theme from Phantom Menace (which was repeated in Revenge of the Sith) titled Duel of Fates... and the Anchorage Figure Skating Club did a group number to the Star Wars Theme...

Schindler's List is out there this season with S/S... and it's been used many times over (Katarina Witt, Irina Slutskaya, Paul Wylie)...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    His Memoirs of a Geisha soundtrack is getting pretty familiar too. (Miki and Bebe, for two.)

Mahler. I know Katja Gordeeva skated to Adagietto (it was beyond any word). There's also the Adagio from 4th Symphony, and much much more. A good choreographer/music-editor could create a great program. I think Yu-Na is a "mahlerian" skater, and this is the greatest compliment I can do her. I'd like Jeremy to skate Bach (for example the Partitas in minor) because he's dramatic and sophisticated. Wagner... I think the interpretation of this outstanding composer is really complex, especially the most "extreme" work, like Die Walkure or Tristan, and it requires a lot of maturity and depth. Wagner's music was born tightly connected to poetry and drama, like soul and body, it's a magic union that can only live in everyone's psyche. The movements of a skater are too little for it, in my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Berlioz. I have no idea how things like his Romeo et Juliette or Beatrice et Benedict or Le Troyens or Spectre de la Rose or Aeolian Harp or Francs-Juges overture would translate to skating but he wrote some of the most beautiful music on earth and I'd love to see a wonderful skater take it on.
    The head of MASSOLIT?!

I kid, I kid. I know he's a composer. But I wil always associate him with the Master and Margarita.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast