BeBe | Golden Skate

BeBe

flying camel

Medalist
Does anyone think Bebe will ever leave Frank? Is it too late for her to go someplace else? I think this year is the worst she has ever skated at Nationals. I think its time for a change. Any coaching suggestion in California? Does anyone think she would go to Mirai's coach? She needs to try something.

krenseby

Final Flight
Does anyone think Bebe will ever leave Frank? Is it too late for her to go someplace else? I think this year is the worst she has ever skated at Nationals. I think its time for a change. Any coaching suggestion in California? Does anyone think she would go to Mirai's coach? She needs to try something.

Add me to the list of those who was absolutely horrified by her skating at Nationals, especially the LP. I remember that she used to have energy, spark, and some really great jumps. None of that in Cleveland. But I am not sure that this has anything to do with Frank. Is she on a downward spiral this year?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I think she might retire this year. I can't see her doing sectionals and regionals to qualify for nationals. It's really sad because she is so talented yet she was never able to skate clean,ever. I was blown away when I first saw her at the age of 12. She just never had the competitive fire in her.

I thought she was enjoying skating much more when she was with Tiffany Chin. but it doesn't matter how many times she changes coaches if she can't skate clean at all. Did she ever skated a clean LP in her entire life??

Wrlmy

Medalist
Would she get any gp assignment at all next year? If she continues to bomb, she might not get past sectionals even though pacific is may not be as strong as eastern.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is skating her be all end all? Or is it something she does? I've honestly never seen her really show the love for the sport.

And she had very much the same "vibe" at nationals that Kimmie has had earlier this season (which I don't remember her having in the past)... I think discouragement has taken over and while I'd hope both come back strong next season and really find that passion and fire and light it up... if they just aren't into it any more - for whatever reason - maybe it is time to let go?

Jenny Kirk fought for it longer than she probably should have - and she still had decent results - but at what cost in the end?

There was no Congemi (is that his name?) in Cleveland. Maybe that had something to do with it.

BeBe is making the same old error every year. It's scooting down the center ice, a three turn, and a 3Flip fall. A coach should work on that. A coach could put it in another place. Why they don't see it? I dunno.

champs

Final Flight
On the Ice Network version of the Ladies LP, Nancy Kerrigan commented that BeBe had left Ken Congemi in mid November (after four years together) and had been training with Frank Carroll as a full time coach since then. According to Nancy BeBe said she had needed change of focus.

lcd

Match Penalty
I remember her at 12 in Boston. What a little spark plug. Her short program actually bumped Ann Patrice from TV coverage. Thought her Sorcerer's Apprentice program served her 'power' image well. Very tough and unforgiving sport. To have to spend all the time and preparation and money to go to regionals. Ugh... just ugh.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
On the Ice Network version of the Ladies LP, Nancy Kerrigan commented that BeBe had left Ken Congemi in mid November (after four years together) and had been training with Frank Carroll as a full time coach since then. According to Nancy BeBe said she had needed change of focus.

Wow. That is really interesting. Ken and Frank were pretty much co-coaches for all the students except Evan who Frank pretty much coached solo. I wonder if Ken and Frank had a falling out, or was it just Ken and Bebe? Very interesting. Unfortunately, it did not seem to help Bebe at all.
I do think this was her last year. She had a good finish last season, making the world team, but her skating just has not improved in the last years. I love watching her, but it is sad watching her make the same mistakes year after year. She mentioned that she is attending community college last year, so maybe she will transfer to a 4-year college and start being a full-time student next fall.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, Evan started with Ken (as did Jenny Kirk) IIRC, but Frank took over the reigns fairly quickly (especially once Tim was booted. I still wonder if Evan wasn't a big reason Tim got the boot so suddenly). What's more interesting is Ken wasn't there - from what Joe said - at nationals at all? That's just so weird. I don't think I've been to a nationals where he wasn't there.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Is skating her be all end all? Or is it something she does? I've honestly never seen her really show the love for the sport.

I heard Bebe plays piano really well. I'd like to see a video of her playing. Maybe she should just go concentrate on that. And yeah I agree with the "no love" thing. I saw the same thing in Katrina Hacker at Nationals '09, in SPADES. It seemed like she wanted no part of skating anymore (she is leaving after this season... or basically has already left, I guess.) She had a good skate and it looked like she didn't even care, no emotion at all.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Bebe

I heard that Bebe and Ken Congemi split after her TEB competition. Actually, Ken was completely missing from Nationals. He wasn't listed as a coach for anyone in the scorebook either.

I saw Bebe out on the concourse and wished her good luck and she seemed really subdued. When I listed to my tape of Nationals I could hear Frank telling her to take her time. She always used to rush through everything and this time she was in slow motion. Very sad. She's already been through several coaches, IIRC. I think she started with Tiffany Chin, went to Christy Ness (Yamaguchi's singles coach), and then to Ken and Frank. Maybe she's just reached the limit of her talent.

I do believe she is taking college courses, so who knows if we will see her next season. Wishing her the very best with whatever she decides to do.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I saw Bebe out on the concourse and wished her good luck and she seemed really subdued. When I listed to my tape of Nationals I could hear Frank telling her to take her time. She always used to rush through everything and this time she was in slow motion. Very sad. She's already been through several coaches, IIRC. I think she started with Tiffany Chin, went to Christy Ness (Yamaguchi's singles coach), and then to Ken and Frank. Maybe she's just reached the limit of her talent.

I do believe she is taking college courses, so who knows if we will see her next season. Wishing her the very best with whatever she decides to do.

This is very sad for me to hear. She used to be such a happy, bubbly person. I hope that she finds that happiness and passion in her life again this year.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Evan started with Ken (as did Jenny Kirk) IIRC, but Frank took over the reigns fairly quickly (especially once Tim was booted. I still wonder if Evan wasn't a big reason Tim got the boot so suddenly).
Toni, this has always been a sore spot with me. It seemed like when Timmy had problems, he wasn't worth much to Frank anymore. I know I'm probably too sensitive over the subject but I think that's one of the big reasons I don't like Evan.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dee you are not alone in those sentiments. I think Frank dumped Tim abruptly and this was someone who had World and Olympic medals. Has Evan done that? Well one bronze.

As for Bebe, she is a real talent but..... An elite skater has to skate ONE error-free performance in an entire career. Has she ever accomplished this? Anyway, she is also a classical musician so perhaps that is where her success will lay. I wish her the best but boy wouldn't it be great if she could exit with one great competition under her belt?

Eurofan

On the Ice
Dee you are not alone in those sentiments. I think Frank dumped Tim abruptly and this was someone who had World and Olympic medals. Has Evan done that? Well one bronze.

As for Bebe, she is a real talent but..... An elite skater has to skate ONE error-free performance in an entire career. Has she ever accomplished this? Anyway, she is also a classical musician so perhaps that is where her success will lay. I wish her the best but boy wouldn't it be great if she could exit with one great competition under her belt?

Evan has two world bronze medals. I agree with everything else though. I'd love to see BeBe medal at Nationals next year.

Who was coaching Tim when he was at his best in 2003 Worlds? - a silver medal, btw.

Evan indeed, has 2 bronze Worlds medals, and 2 National golds.and great SP skate at 2009 4CC, Templar costume nothwithstanding.

BeBe's problem can be corrected. It's that dumb Flip in that dumb spot with that dumb fall every competition. Why can't Carroll just correct that. I think it should be put in a different place in the routine.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Toni, this has always been a sore spot with me. It seemed like when Timmy had problems, he wasn't worth much to Frank anymore. I know I'm probably too sensitive over the subject but I think that's one of the big reasons I don't like Evan.

I think this has colored my feelings about Evan, too, to be honest. I enjoyed Tim's skating and felt he was treated very poorly by his coaching team.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think this has colored my feelings about Evan, too, to be honest. I enjoyed Tim's skating and felt he was treated very poorly by his coaching team.

There's probably more to the story that we don't all know that lead to the dumping of Tim. Think about it, Frank would never randomly DUMP his best student at a level unless there was something to it. Look how long he stuck with Chris Bowman!!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Who was coaching Tim when he was at his best in 2003 Worlds? - a silver medal, btw.

Evan indeed, has 2 bronze Worlds medals, and 2 National golds.and great SP skate at 2009 4CC, Templar costume nothwithstanding.

BeBe's problem can be corrected. It's that dumb Flip in that dumb spot with that dumb fall every competition. Why can't Carroll just correct that. I think it should be put in a different place in the routine.

I'm not sure it can all just be about placement of the jum though. Does she land it in practice? Whereabouts on the rink does she do it in practice?

The flip is one of those jumps that needs a very flat or shallow three turn going into it - it is easier to set up straight down the rink than anywhere else. I suppose they could try and put it heading towards one of the long sides but that usually is where the edge jumps go. It would shorten the prep time for it which might throw the timing for the jump off, or even make the three turn to swingy to get the jump.

Ant