Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Compulsory Dance

Custom Title
    I can't find any pictures or videos anywhere, so could someone please give me a report on the top two Canadian couples; Ralph & Hill and Routhier & Saucke-Lacelle? Thanks so much!

Custom Title
    Compulsory dance is up on IN

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koreasktr View Post
    Shibutanis have 3rd best TES and only 9th best PCS?!?! Something is wrong!
    Looks like Maia and Alex are underscored here...
    Good luck to them in OD. Go Maia and Alex!!!
    They didn't skate in the last two groups, so their PCS scores suffered as a result.

In the OD, they're in the last group to skate, so their scores should be better.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Only some of the earlier teams are up on IN in on demand mode, and the video has no sound. IN apologizes for the inconvenience.

Custom Title
    Boy, the judges make it just as obvious as they did under "6.0" that they are really "ranking" skaters using the PCS mark. Especially glaring in compulsories IMO. Because TES requires judges to code in their judgement as they see the actual skating happen before them, IMO it can be a better barometer of how the skaters actually did in the event at that time.

In singles and pairs, when I look at marks, I expect TES to reflect more "what happened" and PCS to reflect as much "reputation" or a better draw, as it is far more vulnerable to either human nature (like judges holding back higher marks for later skaters). PCS seems far more manipulate-able over a range which can have influence on a final score it seems to me.

The Shibutanis were judged 3rd in TES for "what they did that event", but were only 9th in PCS. Not getting to skate in the final 2 "ranked" groups seemed to hurt them as the higher PCS marks were given out entirely during the final 2 groups which at Junior Worlds are reserved for those skaters with the most points from 2 years of internationals. (Shibutani's only 1st year team at top)

The same went for Alessandrini and Vaturi who were 7th in TES, but only 12th in PCS. They too did not get to skate in the final 2 groups and that obviously did not help their chances at better PCS scores.

I know it is certainly possible for skaters to be "technically stronger" than "PCS" stronger, but I think these two disparities in this event really stand out like sore thumbs. If you look, the only skaters to get above a 5.0 for any PCS component were the Shibutanis, and the ones they got seem low to me. 5.05 or 7th for timing? This is such an obvious strength of theirs .

For Riazanova and Guerrero, the reverse seems to be the case. Various unfortunate execution problems resulted in 12th place TES marks for "what they actually did at the time." Their final 7th placement was salvaged by 3rd place or ranked PCS marks.

While the OD gets to be more like the Short Programs in singles and pairs, I sense this panel seems to find comfort in using the PCS tool to "play" with and "rank." I'll be interested to watch how it plays out.

The pairs short had some "surprises", but hey, it's a lot tougher to mask falls or mistakes with PCS, so "surprising" results which reflect what was actually skated that night seem more likely to occur, and I think this is better for the sport. In a few years when compulsories seem likely to be phased out, will be interesting to see how the "ranking" factor seeps into some other aspect of the scoring. Like water. Will always seek its lowest level.
    Last edited by lcd; 02-24-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Also remember that both the Shibutanis and Chock/Zuerlin are coached by Igor. He has to make a choice and The Shibutanis are young and have a lot of time left in Juniors when it's likely C/Z's last year as Juniors.

Custom Title
    It all depends who wins JW. If the Hubbells win it, C/Z may opt for one more year internationally as Juniors. They are only 16 and 20, and both were born after July 1st, so they are eligible to remain Junior internationally for one more season.

And I don't see C/Z vs. Shibutanis as "Igor's choice". You have to remember that because Maya turned 13 after the first of July 2007, the Shibutanis are only in their first year on the international scene. C/Z have had 2 years, and the Hubbells, 3. The judges view the Shibutanis as newcomers and looking at Maya's diminutive size, they also tend to see them as kids.

Truth to tell, Alex also looks very small and young when you compare him with the other boys in warmup. But they skate BIG

Ice Network finally has all the CD's on demand, and they have sound now. However, they didn't fix the labelling with still says only the first so many competitors and no sound.

So if you want to check out what happened to R&G, now's your chance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3