Other hotels at Worlds | Golden Skate

Other hotels at Worlds

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It seems the largest cost of a trip to Worlds are the prices of the "Official" hotels.
With the local 15% tax, one is looking at 8 days of 200-250 dollars. I was wondering if anyone has researched fairly nearby hotels that didnt make it to the official list that might offer shuttles at 11 pm at night. Seems like a good business opertunity for them to consider.

shinyichen

Spectator
Have you tried kayak.com? You have the option to select hotels within x mile from Staples Center.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! That would be a good site to bookmark for many events.....its pretty easy to use...

rocknsk8r

Spectator
It's a little late, but you might consider staying at the Sheraton Universal in Universal City, and either renting a car or taking the subway to and from Staples.

lcd

Match Penalty
The Westin is a good choice. Walking distance to the Staples Center. Also worth checking in with hotels 2 days before arrivals as it seems a lot of the properties are using a 48 hour cancel policy. Rooms do open up.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not a bad idea, Icd....the Holiday Inn could have a cancelation and they are much closer....
I will call them and see if they have a waiting list and how long it is.....
Just called them, I was told there was no waiting list. Even though they only have 195 rooms, it is possible that one can open up...one could keep trying on the web....

Skating...if it were easy, it would be called "golf"

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Another "fun" thing to consider is to try for a room at one of the official hotels, inquiring about cancellations at the last moment. Not always possible because they can be quite blocked out, but a hotel in this economy would probably rather rent out a room than not. From the ISU website or the actual event website it can be possible to hunt down the event bulletin and ascertain which hotels are the "official" athlete hotels. It's then quite fun to "bump into" your favorites in the lobby or elevator. It worked for me during a worlds quite a few years ago, and was a ton of fun "bumping into" Plushenko and Suguri walking around like normal everyday people :p

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interesting idea....and I do enjoy bumping into and talking with favorite coaches/skaters at sectionals...or spoting them at the airport Monday Morning....

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The Radisson at USC is very close to the Staples Center, might be a little far to walk, but I think the Dash buses go for only 25 cents every 15 minuites. Not a luxury hotel, but good enough if you don't mind college students.

Oreo

On the Ice
The Vagabond Inn is on Figueroa across from USC. Doubles are $98 if you have a AAA card. The Dash (yes, for .25) passes right by. At night, though, it'll be best to taxi back. There are buses from the Staples area, but at that time of night, I think they're once an hour--so your timing has to be perfect.