Johnny posts message to fans | Golden Skate

Johnny posts message to fans

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/journal.html

Many people have criticized my decision to perform in the Christmas show in Seoul, and I can understand their criticism but I do not accept it. It was my choice to perform, and had I not gotten sick, I would have been 100% for Nationals. I am not exempt from getting a stomach virus or the flu, just like the rest of you. I can not control when I am sick and when I am healthy. Life is random and I hope everyone can understand that. I also hope people will stop blaming a show on my Nationals performance. It was an honor to be invited to the show in Korea and I was so happy to lend my time. The only thing that I am blaming my performance on, is not being healthy which is not an excuse, it is the truth. I can assure everyone that I tried my best to be prepared.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
While I appreciate it must be frustrating to have people discuss every decision he makes, I think this will come back to bite him. He's just adding fuel to an already dying fire.

Hope he recovers soon - if he hasn't already - and kicks booty next year.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I read the whole thing and Johnny is such a sweetheart. I am so sad about this.

Although I honestly wish if he hadn't gone to the Christmas show, what happened happened. I wish him the best in the next season.

Losing 8 pounds is just OMG, terrible. He has always looked skinny already even before losing that much. I hope that he works on physical training for the next season. Even at his best, his relatively weaker showing in his LP seems to be something to do with his stamina.

It seems to me Johnny has changed dramatically when he went to his present coaches. I think his decisions are now so much better than they were before. I have full faith and trust that the next Nats (for placement in the Olys), he will rise to a better occasion than 2009.

lcd

Match Penalty
It's a journey and Johnny's candor every step of the way I view as refreshing. No excuses, explanations.

I'm glad Johnny said what he did in the quote above. You can travel to Korea and get sick, you can stay home and get sick.

emma

Record Breaker
I am so, so, so going to miss Weir at Worlds - it just seems unreal. And, it does make me really nervous for next year - had he made the world team this year, he would SEEM more like a shoe in for the olympic team next year, now: who knows?

That said, I really hope he gets well and strong; and admire his courage and tenacity. I also think it's just sweet that he posted a message. I personally think anything in December is a bad idea before Nationals - but in the end, he is right: you can get sick here or there, and sometimes no matter what we do, well, we just get sick. I'm sorry he did.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I'm glad Johnny said what he did in the quote above. You can travel to Korea and get sick, you can stay home and get sick.

True. Anyone can get sick, pretty much anywhere, anytime.

Very nice message to his fans.

Kick some - - - next season Johnny :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
True, but traveling always increases one's chances of getting sick. We have far more immunity for the viruses around us than we do for the viruses abroad. Frankly, I think he would not have gone if it seemed like even a remote possibility that he wouldn't medal. And, honestly, that did not seem possible to most fans either - US has 3 spots at worlds, and Johnny off the Nationals podium just seems way too unlikely. I think, BTW, that's also the reason he didn't withdraw due to illness.

I generally agree with Toni that this only adds fuel to an already dying fire.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
If the tables were turned, would there be so much talk about Kycacek and would Lycacek been picked over the 3rd place Weir? It seems he is often given the benefit if the doubt whereas Weir does not...

If the tables were turned, would there be so much talk about Kycacek and would Lycacek been picked over the 3rd place Weir?
II think if the tables had been turned there would have been a lot of talk about, wow, how did Lysacek mess up so badly, who could have seen that coming!

As for the selection of the worlds team, though, they would have sent Weir over Lysacek if Johnny had been third and Evan fourth. #1, #2 and #3 at Nationals go to worlds.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Had the tables been turned - well... I have my own idea of what would have been the topic of discussion.

but no, I don't think Evan would have been chosen over Johnny. And no I don't think we'd have five million topics on how it was unfair.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I think USFSA made the right decision.

On the one hand there is Weir's track record: top five at Olympics, top five at three out of five Worlds, medals at all but two GP events.

On the other hand there is Weir's track record: injury, illness, injury, illness, injury, illness...

I'm not knocking the guy, but I'd like to see him get through a season without health problems and do all the planned elements in his LP. That hasn't happened in a long time, although I do give him credit for bringing home the medals in spite of it all.