Ladies SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

oleada

Record Breaker
For the "!", the -GOE is optional.
For the "e", the -GOE is mandatory.

By the way, speaking about Caroline... Maybe right now she can't make her way to the podium, but she has only 16 years. When she'll be the same age as Yuna and Mao she may become a skater of the same or better level than them.

Mao and Yu-Na became silver and bronze medalists at Worlds at the same age Caroline is now (speaking in ISU years). They've been around for a while now, so it's easy to forget just how young they were during the 2006-2007 season, which was their first full season as seniors.

LeCygne

Final Flight
For the "!", the -GOE is optional.
For the "e", the -GOE is mandatory.

Mao and Yu-Na became silver and bronze medalists at Worlds at the same age Caroline is now (speaking in ISU years). They've been around for a while now, so it's easy to forget just how young they were during the 2006-2007 season, which was their first full season as seniors.

First of all, really? Why shouldn't "!" have mandatory -GOE? Just because lutz is harder doesn't mean people who can't do proper flips shouldn't be penalized. If anything, it should be the opposite.

ISU years is not the same as real years. Just because Caroline has been on the senior circuit the same amount of time as Mao and Yu-Na were when they medaled at Worlds doesn't mean they've all had the same amount of time to mature/develop.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
The ! and e have nothing to do with one being for the lutz and one for the flip. The "e" is for a long, obvious wrong entrance edge (think a Bobekian style/Asada before she fixed it flutz) and requires -GOE. The ! means there might have been an edge change, or it is much shorter and less obvious and it's left for the judges to decide. I'm assuming that the judges felt that Yu-Na's 3-3 was great enough that it made up for the possible edge change. She only got .30 GOE for it, when she usually gets much more than that.

You can get a ! for a lutz and an e for the flip.

MrHand

Rinkside
I haven't had a time to check the scoreing sheet for Yu-Na's SP, but I don't like to hear anyone bickering about Yu-Na given a break for wrong edge. It was a record setting score. Tapes can be reviewed.

I haven't had a time to check the scoreing sheet for Yu-Na's SP...
Here it is.

http://web.icenetwork.com/documents/2009/02/05/60818/1/ladies_short.pdf

Kim got a cautionary edge call (!) on the flip of her opening 3F+3T combination. Three of the judges gave her positive GOE on the element, five judges gave her 0 GOE, and one judge gave a negative GOE.

The speculation is that in the opinions of 8 of the 9 judges, the positive aspects of the jump balanced or outweighed the questionable edge.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I haven't had a time to check the scoreing sheet for Yu-Na's SP, but I don't like to hear anyone bickering about Yu-Na given a break for wrong edge. It was a record setting score. Tapes can be reviewed.
Well, I think we bicker whenever we want to.

I just find the "!"-rule stupid. It's like the tech-controller is saying: if you like that skater, ignore the possible wrong edge - if you don't like the skater, just feel free to deduct some points!
:rock:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I'm going to try not to get dragged into yet another CoP vs. 6.0 debate since I believe both systems have their equal share of strengths and weaknesses, but one thing I do appreciate about CoP is that "true" lutzes and fully-rotated jumps are being rewarded much more than they were under 6.0.

I remember Joannie used to flutz during her early senior career and her coaches made her relearn the jump the proper way...while the old 6.0 system was in effect. As frustrating as it must have been for Joannie at the time, I bet she's truly grateful for that decision now! :yes:

And I never thought I'd see the day when
(a) two Canadian ladies skated clean SPs and placed in the top 3 in such a cleanly-skated event at such a major international competition.
(b) people are getting worried about the US being able to qualify more than one woman for next year's Olympic team. :(

I'm also happy both Joannie and Cynthia skated so well, but especially thrilled for Cynthia considering everything she's been through during the past few years. I was also impressed with Fumie's performance--I think she's skating better than ever! I haven't been able to see Alissa's SP yet, but I'm guessing it wasn't one of her best performances from the comments in this thread. :( I hope she'll come back strong in the LP!

So I went back and I watched the short programs and my favorite part of all of it was when they showed Brian Orser during Yuna's program. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a while. Especially when she landed on of her jumps and he landed it too...

I also had to :laugh: at Brian's reaction. I don't remember ever seeing him get that excited during any of his own eligible performances! :)