Pairs SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP

oleada

Record Breaker
D/D were clean but their program is really bad - no transitions and the music is so dull. Good skate, but they were putting me to sleep.

M/B - very good, except for the fall. They are exciting to watch.

Z/Z - popped sal, but otherwise good. I liked them.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
I thought D/D looked really slow, but i actually like this music. They can add more excitement into this program.

Z/Z... no expression as usual.. very boring.

gold12345

Medalist
D/D were clean but their program is really bad - no transitions and the music is so dull. Good skate, but they were putting me to sleep.

The judges must agree with you, because a clean skate from them barelyyyy outscores Z/Z with a popped sal and IMO, a dull program.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I wouldn't go as far as saying that the evening has been a disappointment. Everyone had a good performance. True, the only squeaky clean program was D/D's but I enjoyed all the other skates so far.

M/B started so well. That pair spin right off the bat was so fast, set the tone for the rest of the program. But after the fall, the program sorta lost its edge. But then again the throw is their last element (or next to last, I forget) so it was almost over anyway.

Z/Z's got a really lovely short. Huge throws and twists of course, but they finally have a program that forces them to express some emotion, and they are finally doing it well. Too bad about the popped sal, but they can make that up easy in the long.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
wow, I actually really liked I/B's sp!! just a little mistake on the throw, i really like everything else.

oleada

Record Breaker
Pang and Tong were schooling the youngin's. Despite the error on the 3T from her, I'm glad it was first.

LisaS

On the Ice
Pang and Tong's side by side spins are horrendous. I hope they got negative GOE's for them, but somehow I doubt it.

lcd

Match Penalty
For M/B, wonder why the throw is planned so late in the program. They do that in their free skate/long as well. (Is there a bonus?) I think in short program there isn't. Hence, the usual non-choreography one can see in singles where it is jump, jump, jump... exhale, then try to present. For M/B, seems an unnecessary risk IMO.

jcoates

Medalist
I don't care that the twist was a double, Duhamel and Buntin were the best for my money. The throw lutz was a beauty!

gold12345

Medalist
Pang and Tong's side by side spins are horrendous. I hope they got negative GOE's for them, but somehow I doubt it.

Yeah, I agree. I also can't stand her air position in lifts. But a 65 for a flawed skate. Whatever.

Duhamel/Buntin skated really well, even though I hate the music. They need a triple twist though. I think she just said in the kiss and cry they would try to add it in for Worlds.

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Duhamel /Buntin was the best in the pairs SP. Other than that, not much to write home about.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Gee the old timers I/B finished 5th. Our younguns Rockne and Keanue 7th,
and Caydee and Jeremy 8th ouch. Not sure how much they will pull up in the LP. Stiff competition here.

Loved Duhamel/Buntin SP. COP be da.... I would have had
them in first.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gee the old timers I/B finished 5th. Our younguns Rockne and Keanue 7th,
and Caydee and Jeremy 8th ouch. Not sure how much they will pull up in the LP. Stiff competition here.

I figure their placements will shuffle around after the long, but I do love the way I/B keep bringin' it, relative to their team USA counterparts. Folks gripe about them hanging on, but they are definitely one case where I say, if you want them off the team, find a pair to outskate them. No one's stepping up, so Rena and John, keep on gliding! They may not be medal contenders, but who in the US is in pairs?

beep_beep

Medalist
I like Duhamel/Buntin more each time I see them. They kick *** (even with a 2twist...)! They are not as, how should I say it, polished, but they have something... you know :)

And I am sooo glad Pang/Tong are in 1st... I think it was deserved, even with the 2 on the sbs jump by her and the sbs spins. Everything else was superb !

ETA: automatic editing of curse words... I like it

Medusa

Record Breaker
I like Duhamel/Buntin more each time I see them. They kick *** (even with a 2twist...)! They are not as, how should I say it, polished, but they have something... you know :)

And I am sooo glad Pang/Tong are in 1st... I think it was deserved, even with the 2 on the sbs jump by her and the sbs spins. Everything else was superb !
I totally agree with the entire post.

Duhamel/Buntin are really refreshing, they don't have the romantic vibe like D/D (personally not a big fan of that vibe), they don't have the refinement of most European pairs - but they are a great fit, they have spunk, they have power, speed and obviously enjoy being out there together. It's two grown-ups who seem to be friends, who have the same goals and ambitions and love working towards their goals.

Pang/Tong are just a class of their own in this field, artistically. I am always glad when they win (I need to find their skate pronto, my dad luuuurves them and always wants an update on them...).

Last edited: