Pairs SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP

What a lyrical night for Pairs. M/B's Spanish dance was just the number not to do in this crowd. I've been a big fan of Pang/Tong since I first saw them.. and lyrical he is with Pang now complimenting him. Z/Z have never gotten to me and they are not lyrical skaters, imo. Dube/Davidson's lyricism just shines as always (who needs a story?) Megan and the unstoppable Craig were super. Rena and John keep going and going. Quite lovely. So sad for the US newbies after such a great debut in Cleveland, but those little boo boos add up.

Overall a good competition. I would single out the team from Taiwan for future medals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering this is their first international competition I don't think Caydee and Jeremey did all that poorly.

Tigger

Final Flight
Thrilled for Megan and Craig!! Megan looked like she was ready to jump out of her skin afterwards. :biggrin:

Also thrilled for Jessica and Bryce!! First clean SP of the season. Huge monkey off their back and, I know I'm in the minority here, but I like this program of theirs. That triple twist is getting better and better too.

All in all...It was a pretty decent Pairs SP. Oh and I liked the team from Chinese Taipei too. :)

i love to skate

Medalist
Thrilled for Megan and Craig!! Megan looked like she was ready to jump out of her skin afterwards. :biggrin:

Also thrilled for Jessica and Bryce!! First clean SP of the season. Huge monkey off their back and, I know I'm in the minority here, but I like this program of theirs. That triple twist is getting better and better too.

Quite a good night for Canadian pairs!! I'm so very happy for Jess and Bryce, what a confidence builder to do a clean short in the Olympic venue! I also really like there program, I'm not sure why but it just seems to flow to me and I love the music!

gold12345

Medalist
considering this is their first international competition I don't think Caydee and Jeremey did all that poorly.

It's not quite their first intl competition... they competed in the Nebelhorn Trophy earlier this year... but I don't think they did badly either. I don't think anyone skated really badly. It's just a very deep field here, so unless you skated pretty clean or were the Chinese pairs, who are the favorites, even a small mistake kind of buried you in the standings. Score wise, several teams are bunched together.

screech

Final Flight
Not necessarily first, but I definitely think D/B should have been placed higher. At least their scores are right up there though...

I find that this team is consistently marked down - no they aren't as polished as the others, but they have outstanding speed and attack and their jumps are awesome. It's almost (to me) like judges don't want to like them? I'm not saying they're the best in the world or anywhere near it, but I do think they consistently deserve more than they're getting.

rain

Record Breaker
Well, I have to say I think it's appalling that P/T are ahead of a clean D/D (has anyone been able to figure out what the deduction was for!!?? They finished a teeny bit behind the music, but to my eyes, no more than P/T did). P/T only got credit for double side-by-sides. No way they should be leading when you couple that with their horrible side-by-side spins.

rosee

On the Ice
has anyone been able to figure out what the deduction was for!!??
According to IceNetwork it was indeed for finishing after the music.
The problem for D&D is the non-existent choreagraphy in the SP. It's reflected by their PCS. They had the best TES.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, I have to say I think it's appalling that P/T are ahead of a clean D/D (has anyone been able to figure out what the deduction was for!!?? They finished a teeny bit behind the music, but to my eyes, no more than P/T did). P/T only got credit for double side-by-sides. No way they should be leading when you couple that with their horrible side-by-side spins.

D/D were solid, but the program is really that bad. If they got a 3.0 for transitions, it wouldn't be unfair. The bad muzak just makes it worse. P/T had a better program, a better twist and a better throw.

rain

Record Breaker
D/D were solid, but the program is really that bad. If they got a 3.0 for transitions, it wouldn't be unfair. The bad muzak just makes it worse. P/T had a better program, a better twist and a better throw.

And side-by-side DOUBLE jumps, horrible spins and weaker lifts. I don't disagree on the muzak (I like "Fix You", but not the elevator version), however, in this case I think the more glaring technical errors should have made up the difference, as there were similar skating skills, speed etc displayed.

figuristka

Medalist
Guess i will hope for a clip of Dube and Davison¨s short. thanks for the comments how they skated.

gold12345

Medalist
And side-by-side DOUBLE jumps, horrible spins and weaker lifts. I don't disagree on the muzak (I like "Fix You", but not the elevator version), however, in this case I think the more glaring technical errors should have made up the difference, as there were similar skating skills, speed etc displayed.

I agree. I really do appreciate the throws and twists from Pang/Tong, but the inflated scores are annoying. There's no incentive for them to even improve their lifts because they are getting the super high scores regardless.

Isn't much of this only an opinion? What other elements were wrong for them?
They were so much better than the boring Z&Z, and D/B should have been in third. Now, there's an opinion too.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada

I agree. P/T twist and throw were superb, but the overall quality of their other elements is far below D/D. I couldn’t believe how unsynchronized and far apart their spins were, and her position in the lift is quite ugly.

oleada

Record Breaker
Isn't much of this only an opinion? What other elements were wrong for them?
They were so much better than the boring Z&Z, and D/B should have been in third. Now, there's an opinion too.

D&D's lack of transitions isn't an opinion.

i love to skate

Medalist
After watching the top four pairs short programs this afternoon, IMO both Chinese pairs were overmarked. Awesome twists and throws but both had poor lifts as well as side by side spins, not to mention single and double side by side jumps. I also don't think Zhang and Zhang had anymore transitions than Dube and Davison did. D/B should have been in third and D/D first. Just my two cents.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I'm also happy the Canadian teams skated so well--not only D&D and D&B, but I was also impressed with how well Brodeur and Matattall skated (aside from the touchdown on the throw). They certainly look ready to go to Worlds if Langlois and Hay aren't ready to make it.

And I admit I'm one of the people who wasn't too crazy about D&D's SP when I first saw it...especially the music. I'm actually curious if it's from the same CD as Joannie Rochette's instrumental "Like A Prayer" music which also took a long time to grow on me. I hoped D&D's SP would also grow on me when/if I saw them skate it cleanly...and I'm happy to say that's starting to happen. :rock:

During this afternoon's main CBC network broadcast, Kurt Browning mentioned something about Jessica's arm touching Bryce's shoulder while coming down from the triple twist. Maybe that's what cost them the lead? I agree it shouldn't be as big a deduction as doubling/singling jumps or poor SBS spins, but maybe the judges felt differently?

I also wonder why all the top Chinese pairs--including S&Z during their eligible careers--continue to struggle so much on their SBS spins and do such relatively easy lifts. But despite the mistakes, I think both Z&Z and P&T have come a long way artistically this season! Now if only someone could fix their SBS spins...