Pairs SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP

i love to skate

Medalist
I'm also happy the Canadian teams skated so well--not only D&D and D&B, but I was also impressed with how well Brodeur and Matattall skated (aside from the touchdown on the throw). They certainly look ready to go to Worlds if Langlois and Hay aren't ready to make it.

And I admit I'm one of the people who wasn't too crazy about D&D's SP when I first saw it...especially the music. I'm actually curious if it's from the same CD as Joannie Rochette's instrumental "Like A Prayer" music which also took a long time to grow on me. I hoped D&D's SP would also grow on me when/if I saw them skate it cleanly...and I'm happy to say that's starting to happen. :rock:

During this afternoon's main CBC network broadcast, Kurt Browning mentioned something about Jessica's arm touching Bryce's shoulder while coming down from the triple twist. Maybe that's what cost them the lead? I agree it shouldn't be as big a deduction as doubling/singling jumps or poor SBS spins, but maybe the judges felt differently?

I also wonder why all the top Chinese pairs--including S&Z during their eligible careers--continue to struggle so much on their SBS spins and do such relatively easy lifts. But despite the mistakes, I think both Z&Z and P&T have come a long way artistically this season! Now if only someone could fix their SBS spins...

I too wonder why they have so much trouble with the spins. Especially P & T who have been together for quite a long time, you would think they would develop some unison. I hope they make some improvements to them for Worlds, but you are right, they have come a long way in their artistic side. I fear for Zhang and Pang when they land those throws because their legs look sooo fragile and skinny, I don't know how they manage to land them!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^ I watched a clip of Shen / Zhao's 2002 Olympics SP. I can't remember who did the commentary, but when they went out of sync on their SBS spins, he said that the SBS spins was the weakness of the entire Chinese pair team.

gold12345

Medalist
I remember 1999 Skate Canada when Pang totally wiped out on her SBS spin. It was terrible. So there has been a slight improvement. :laugh: