Men's SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

jayta

Rinkside
If another Canadian wins Worlds without a quad again, Brian will hit someone, hard. And so will I. Not that I require a quad, but this is silly. Patrick got 6 points more than Jeff got at Worlds last year. I can't nowhere see why. I didn't like Patrick before, and I don't like him more now.
I think I just fell in love with an American hockey back... :love: But why is all the Americans classic styled skaters?? I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon doing something else then old heavy Strauss & Bach.
Poor Jeremy... :(

The fact that you would not like Patrick more now just because he got scores he well deserves for the level 4 difficulty in footwork and transitions, his +GOE on his jumps which are amazing, and his ability to feel the music (though many say he doesn't at all...which I don't believe) and perform and draw the crowd in as well as his amazing basic skating skills is sad:scratch:

I mean, to not like a skater because of who he is or the things he's done or said that are unlikeable maybe. But just because he got better scores than Jeff whom you also think prolly didn't deserve them? (I'm guessing here...)

Wow.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://hsuhs.gallery.ru/watch?ph=dzM-babEu#feature=topscroll

BTW, why did Jeremy Abbott only get 1.20 GOE for his 3A? He had a difficult ride out you rarely see.

I agree, not only is his 1-foot exit ride out difficult and impressive, but he also does a little 1-foot footwork going into the entry, also adding to the difficulty. He got +1.57 GOE at Nationals for his SP 3Axel. I think it deserves more +2 and +3 recognition from the judges for the quality of that element. His transitions, choreography, and musical interpretation are so amazing to me! :bow:

screech

Final Flight
his 3A was really leaning at 4CC, though... it scared me lol

ITA about Jeremy's 3A - it was a bit scary to me too.

As for the people saying how Brian gets bashed for not going all out at competitions, that's because he consistently bashes skaters who don't do quads. So for him to complain about skaters not going all out, and then for him to not go all out, that makes him a hypocrite. And it makes his arguments just laughable.

That said, I think Brian is a fantastic skater (though he needs a lot more connection to the music IMO).

As for Patrick's scores, I don't think the 50 for TES is too ridiculous. His elements were well choreographed to maximize points for level 4s. His jumps were all beautifully done (though I wouldn't have given higher than +1 for the combo, as the landing edge was rather short). With the levels and quality, his points aren't too overdone.

As for how the scores are so much higher now than they used to be - the judging system keeps changing! They change ways to get points and skaters learn this. Hence the reasons programs are garnering more points! At least they aren't as inflated as in the 2003 season...

ETA - just saw a replay of Patric's SP on CBC bold. His program was outstanding. Plus I love how he always seems like such a likeable dork after his programs with his huge grins.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I miss Lambiel! See, this guy had everything - the choreography, the passion, the musicality, the creativity - and he always went for the Quads and nearly always for that stupid 3A...)
I miss Stephane, too. Leaving aside the fact that he was amazingly talented, there's also nobody skating right now who blends the technical side with the musicality and the presentation in a similar manner - his skating was unique. Joubert was my favorite when they were competing against each other, but I really liked to watch Lambiel skate, and I didn't realize how much I'd miss seeing him on the ice. As a cheerful memory, I've watched him perform as a kid at the 1997 Worlds gala (on youtube). That was really cute.

screech - I think Brian spoke about the value of quads being insufficient (in his opinion) since CoP came in, but I don't recall him complaining about anyone specific being conservative until 2008 Worlds. By then plenty of people had weighed in about his supposedly easy 2007 Worlds LP - which as I wrote earlier, was considerably more difficult than people seem to remember and was performed following an injury. His main point has rather consistently been that more skaters should be doing quads; looking at past and present events, it looks like he's right that they've become less common.

I expect Brian Joubert to put an effort into the areas where he's not as strong, and I believe he has done that (his spins, for instance, are much better these days). But by the same token I'd like the other guys to work on improving what they can in their skating. And there are a lot of skaters who've shown us they can do lovely triples out of footwork. Fine - but I'd like them to show me something new. It doesn't have to be a quad, though I'd like to see more of those - but how about doing a program that's an artistic risk? I've written before that I disliked Takahashi's cyber swan but at least he was trying something different.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I expect Brian Joubert to put an effort into the areas where he's not as strong, and I believe he has done that (his spins, for instance, are much better these days). But by the same token I'd like the other guys to work on improving what they can in their skating. And there are a lot of skaters who've shown us they can do lovely triples out of footwork. Fine - but I'd like them to show me something new. It doesn't have to be a quad, though I'd like to see more of those - but how about doing a program that's an artistic risk? I've written before that I disliked Takahashi's cyber swan but at least he was trying something different.

I agree with everything - as always. Though I appreciated Cyberswan, it was creative and great. By the way, do you plan to go to TEB this year? 15th to 18th of October. We could meet, antmab can come too (Manchester - Paris is not too far...). Anyone else interesting living in the area (meaning 500km radius around Paris)? It could be fun.

And Brian's spins are really so much better, they are good average now.