Going for Gold: McLaughlin & Brubaker (with video) | Golden Skate

Going for Gold: McLaughlin & Brubaker (with video)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Keauna looks great in the black pants...she should wear pants in competition next year.

It's hard for me to critique them. They definitely have the goods to win gold but it's in their performane that keeps them from that dream.

Purely hypothetical, if we can assume that there is no problem with the Tech, then they are at the level of their of the Pairs from Germany, and China, although these teams have been around so much longer and are also looking for gold at the Olys.

As to performance, they lack what Mukhortova and Trankov have. (comparatively a new team in seniors, too) They have not shown any lyrical know-how except in spotty sections of Westside Story. The other Russian team are, imo are, a mismatch but the carry their coach's name, and there is nothing that M/B can do about that.

Their Malaguena (a description of a lady from Malaga) is deidedly Spanish and showing some Spanish poses during the whole routine would help it a lot. If they could get Lambiel to give them some pointers on that,wow! Yet despite the colorful spanish costumes, Pang and Tong did not skate any spanish movements in their routine. But they are always a top team, and difficult o surpass.

After LA, Mcl/Bru will still have a lot to consider to medal. After Olys, they should be numero uno. But who knows? in figure skating.

Binthere

On the Ice
Pairs seems to be so much about nailing the big tricks. Two side by side triples, clean. Two throw triples - clean. It's still anybody's podium in my book.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I like M/B...they look like rock stars...he's calm and muscular lol...she's got alot of personality and spunk.

Pairs seems to be so much about nailing the big tricks. Two side by side triples, clean. Two throw triples - clean. It's still anybody's podium in my book.
Pairs' judges for me are like Dance judges. They have made up their minds what the podium will look like before any skating takes place, and during the actual skating they will look principally for errors. If P&T, Z&Z, and S&S skate flawlessly that will be the podium in some such order. But if one of teams falters, then I think it will be K&S to replace one of the above. I have no strong opinion on results.

gold12345

Medalist
Pairs' judges for me are like Dance judges. They have made up their minds what the podium will look like before any skating takes place, and during the actual skating they will look principally for errors. If P&T, Z&Z, and S&S skate flawlessly that will be the podium in some such order. But if one of teams falters, then I think it will be K&S to replace one of the above. I have no strong opinion on results.

I don't know about that. I think those teams just get on the podium because they usually skate better than everyone else. I get annoyed when S&S or Z&Z sometimes get ridiculously high scores for error filled programs, but it's not like the teams placing behind them are usually skating any cleaner or have more difficulty. When P&T didn't skate that well at Worlds last year, they were passed by D&D and the Russians. When the Zhangs didn't skate that well this year at 4CC, D&D passed them. I don't see how this is like ice dance, really. The chances of all three of the teams you mentioned skating flawlessly in the same competition are probably zero anyway.

Last edited:
^^^
I dig most of what you said :agree: But the two Chinese and S&S are the 'locks' that's in quotes and K&S will replace anyone of them if one falters. i would prefer M/T if not McL/Bru. JMO.