Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need savy local person at Worlds

and the USFSA organizing committe strike [out] again! (at least I assume they're the ones doing it since we're hosting the ISU event)

Luv Deep Edges!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Here is what the Worlds is saying...
    "The local organizing committee will not be operating a private shuttle bus system for spectators. Some hotels are within walking distance of the arenas, and all of the hotels are convenient to the Los Angeles DASH city bus system, which also serves STAPLES Center and the LA Convention Center."...(but only till 6 pm weekdays and 5 pm weekends)
    The DASH is a nice system, but runs too infrequently for my liking - plus the fact that the service ends at 6pm during the week and 5pm on the weekends. Here is the link to the DASH service: http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/rou.../downtown.html you would take the F line as I think you are staying at the Westin Bonaventure, which is on Figueroa (same street as Staples). It is a 1 mile walk to Staples, probably an 8 minute trip via the DASH.

Coming back after the competitions, treat yourself to a cab - consider it New York Lite!
    Last edited by Tenorguy; 02-15-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Luv Deep Edges!

The Original Pantry

Just up the street from Staples, definitely within walking distance, is a great old restaurant called the Original Pantry. Very down to earth, and you can get a decent steak. Not a brilliant steak, but decent for the price. There is usually a wait, and its old LA, very "diner" but worth trying. Its on Figueroa, the same street as Staples.

The breakfasts are big, caloric and good!

http://www.pantrycafe.com/
    Last edited by Tenorguy; 02-15-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling

mmmmmmm sounds good...

*sigh* someday...

Yeah, a good breakfast is a must at these events for me....I will keep this one in mind....how much do you tip the cap drivers there for a six block ride? I cant even remember when the last cab ride I took was....1980s?

Chris off to Tucson for a week

Custom Title

cab tipping

Tipping rates are about the same as they are in NY. I usually do about 20%. Again, the Westin and Staples Center are close. Can't imagine a cab would be more that $6-7. Pantry is great, but beware of LONG lines, even during the week.

Looks like the breakfast prices are very fair..will try the Pantry for sure, especially since they never close. Gotta make those 6 am practices! I will bring a pocket full of 10 spots for the cabbies....

Rinkside
    Some of the restaurants between Staples and your hotel operate shuttles to and from Staples, for example, Arnie Morton's. And, with all the restaurants at LA Live http://lalive.com/content.php?sectio...ge=restaurants, I'm sure their will be plenty of cabs around.

Whatever you do, don't walk back to your hotel at midnight...!

Hey, thanks for the input....very interesting.....there is a map on your link that shows the taxi pickup and dropoff area...it does make sense to take a cab...if nothing else, it saves time and between practices and events, there is precious little time as it is.
    At Cleveland, I had to sleep in a day and miss some practices....
    Old Age isnt for Sissies!
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 03-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2