Need savy local person at Worlds | Golden Skate

Need savy local person at Worlds

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have a room reserved at one of the official hotels, the Westin Bonadventure, six blocks away.

Since the busses stop running early, and my hotel does not have a shuttle, I have two options for returning at night after 11 pm. I like to walk if safety is not an issue and there are lots of other skating fans going my way , as there should be... or if there is a taxi station with lots of taxis I could take one of those.

Are there any locals here who have an idea how safe this area is?

Chris who grew tired of the non- police presence and pan handlers at Cleveland.

shinyichen

Spectator
I used to live in Downtown LA, not too far from Staples Center. Downtown LA is pretty deserted at night, and nobody wants to be walking around. Staples area is pretty nice, in the financial district, with lots of office buildings and hotels. You are probably at the safest place downtown, so I don't think it's dangerous as far as robbery or anything scary. You might pass a couple of homeless. But I imagine there will be tons of people coming out from Staples Center after the competitions, possibly walking in the same direction as you do. I wouldn't worry too much.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! I have had some bad experiences in my long life in other cities so I am glad for your input. I imagine that walking back to the Westin Bonadventure on the same street wont be too bad and there should be other people doing the same thing.....

doug_log

On the Ice
CoyoteChris,

I live in LA and work downtown. Please do NOT walk from the Staples Center to the Westin. This may seem silly, seeing as it's so close, but Downtown LA is not a safe neighborhood. Unless you were in a large group, I would not recommend walking at night. Take a cab (i know it seems unnecessary.).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, thats interesting. I would suspect that there will be quite a few people walking that way at the same time to the event hotels but I certainly wouldnt mind a cab if they are available.
I e-mailed the event hosts and asked them about there being cabs or a cab station at the Staples but they chose to ignore my e-mail....maybe I will try calling them direct and asking about that. Maybe I could stow away on the Wilshire shuttle!

CoyoteChris,

I live in LA and work downtown. Please do NOT walk from the Staples Center to the Westin. This may seem silly, seeing as it's so close, but Downtown LA is not a safe neighborhood. Unless you were in a large group, I would not recommend walking at night. Take a cab (i know it seems unnecessary.).
I was told that too about nightime indowntown, when in a square dance convention in La. We would go in groups in a cab if we wanted to see other areas of LA at night. I think you can go on line and ask about various forms of transport from SC.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks, but they are ignoring my e-mails.....so I will call them direct. I am hoping there will be a place where cabs collect at the arena. I think walking will all depend on how many people are walking back to my hotel at once. I volunteer for the state patrol here and my Capt. knows that area there. He says that unless there are lots of other people I would be crazy to walk those six blocks alone at 11:30 at night. Do you feel lucky?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are you staying at one of the official hotels? you could get a bus pass?

doug_log

On the Ice
Chris,

There should be cabs around. The Staples Center complex now is fully developed entertainment center (restaurants, movie theaters, bowling alley, etc.), so I imagine that there will be ample public transportation. I went to a Kings game a few weeks ago, and there were cabs outside.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks Doug...that is good to know....a six block cab ride shouldnt be over ten bucks....
Tonichelle, The event is saying no offical busses and the Dash busses stop after 6 pm.
My official hotel, the Westin, is not providing its own buss. Frankly, I find it hard to believe that someone with a buss couldnt run the route of the 6 event hotels, charge three bucks
a head, and not make tons of money. Perhaps the other event hotels have there own busses and it is just the Westin that doesnt.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it could also be the event organizer(s)' wish that they DON'T run their buses, as was the case for Nationals in St. Paul. One of the official hotels were willing and wanting to provide free transportation to and from the arena and the USFSA flipped out.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
CoyoteChris - I agree with doug-_log; cabs is the way to go. Once you take a cab a few times to and from Staples you can decide if you want to make the walk. I am local and we do not hear of many physical attacks in downtown, so its not overtly dangerous, but it would be better to take a cab the first few times to get the lay of the land.

I can't believe the hotel will not offer a shuttle of some kind. They are in business because of the Convention Center and Staples. Hopefully the hotel will surprise you and provide courtesy shuttles.

LA Live is an entertainment complex right next to Staples and there will be many people hanging out at night, with proper security and most likely with cabs available as doug-log mentioned. www.lalive.com

Try to get to Walt Disney Concert Hall if you can - its spectacular and close (about 1 mile walking, about 3 minute cab ride).

Let me know if you need more info.... I'm happy to provide links..... and welcome in advance to Los Angeles!

Tenorguy

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Tenorguy, thanks for the offer...I am sure there is lots to see but as you know at skating events, with practice, there is barely time to eat let alone sight see....(Unless Sarah Brightman is going to be at the concert hall) I will call the hotel as we get closer and check again about a shuttle, but it is good to know that cabs will be pleantiful, and there arent many personal attacks. Personally, I like to walk after sitting on my skinny butt all day but I can tell you that being mugged is no fun. Tonichelle, if you have the time I would love to hear what you know about the USFSA and hotel shuttles...you can PM me if you like. I can see where a city would like to make tax money on the cab system but I cant see where the USFSA has any concerns about entities like hotels providing safe transportation for their patrons. I have a bone to pick with the USFSA about my friends and I being thrown out of our seats during the first day of competition at Cleveland, anyway.
Chris who is leaving the snows of Spokane for a few quality days in the sun of Tucson next week.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because at US nationals they run their own buses to and from the arena to the official hotels they want to control that part of the transportation. it's a $30 bus pass as opposed to a free shuttle. obviously if there's a free shuttle their bus pass program won't work.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Didnt know that....at Spokane, it was 12 bucks and at Cleveland it was $55 to go to the second venue far far away....wish they had a $30 buss pass for the 8 days of the worlds!
Here is what the Worlds is saying...
"The local organizing committee will not be operating a private shuttle bus system for spectators. Some hotels are within walking distance of the arenas, and all of the hotels are convenient to the Los Angeles DASH city bus system, which also serves STAPLES Center and the LA Convention Center."...(but only till 6 pm weekdays and 5 pm weekends)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
and the USFSA organizing committe strike [out] again! (at least I assume they're the ones doing it since we're hosting the ISU event)

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Here is what the Worlds is saying...
"The local organizing committee will not be operating a private shuttle bus system for spectators. Some hotels are within walking distance of the arenas, and all of the hotels are convenient to the Los Angeles DASH city bus system, which also serves STAPLES Center and the LA Convention Center."...(but only till 6 pm weekdays and 5 pm weekends)

The DASH is a nice system, but runs too infrequently for my liking - plus the fact that the service ends at 6pm during the week and 5pm on the weekends. Here is the link to the DASH service: http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/downtown/downtown.html you would take the F line as I think you are staying at the Westin Bonaventure, which is on Figueroa (same street as Staples). It is a 1 mile walk to Staples, probably an 8 minute trip via the DASH.

Coming back after the competitions, treat yourself to a cab - consider it New York Lite!

Last edited:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
The Original Pantry

Just up the street from Staples, definitely within walking distance, is a great old restaurant called the Original Pantry. Very down to earth, and you can get a decent steak. Not a brilliant steak, but decent for the price. There is usually a wait, and its old LA, very "diner" but worth trying. Its on Figueroa, the same street as Staples.

The breakfasts are big, caloric and good!

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, a good breakfast is a must at these events for me....I will keep this one in mind....how much do you tip the cap drivers there for a six block ride? I cant even remember when the last cab ride I took was....1980s?

Chris off to Tucson for a week