Cheers to an Outstanding 4CC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cheers to an Outstanding 4CC

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Perhaps the reason Radio Canada did not show the men 's competition live is because none of the men are from Quebec. There would not be as must interest as in the ladies, since all 3 Canadian ladies competing at 4CC are Quebecoise.
Radio Canada is centred in Quebec. Just a thought.

I doubt it. Radio Canada channel 1 (90.7) morning news has covered the results of 4CC in a lot more details than on CBC English radio 1 (91.5).

i love to skate

Medalist
There were a lot of sports going on today. I think they just decided to show part of the World Skiing Championships - which a Canadian won by the way! :clap:

bubbleyum

On the Ice
though i am a little sad for our american ladies, i am very happy for team canada.

especially cynthia phaneuf, she was truly fierce in this competition. kudos to her and i hope she keeps this momentum up!

Tigger

Final Flight
John Kucera rocks! :thumbsup: Bode Miller stinks.:disagree:

Go Lindsey Vonn! :clap:

Yes indeed John rocks!! :biggrin: I didn't hear the news until after the Men's LP and Saturday Report came on. I was watching on Bold, so missed the coverage of the World Alpine Championships the CBC showed inbetween their 4CC coverage this afternoon. I'm also an Alpine Skiing fan and beyond thrilled for John adding one of what I think are the most beautiful medals in all of sport to his collection. :clap::clap::clap:

I also like Lindsey. There's just something very likeable about her and also the way she's been handling herself this year has really impressed me too.

There were a lot of sports going on today. I think they just decided to show part of the World Skiing Championships - which a Canadian won by the way! :clap:

Isn't that the truth. The Test Event for the Bobsled and Skeleton Venue is also this weekend in Whistler, there was the World Alpine Championships and Denny Morrison and Christine Nesbitt both won Gold in the 500 metre races at the World All Around Speedskating Championships in Norway today too.

It was quite the Golden Day for Canadian Athletes. :biggrin:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The highlights for me.

Ladies::

YuNa's SP
Joannie's SP
Caroline's LP
Cynthia's SP & LP

Pairs:

Pang/Tong LP
D/D LP
D/B SP

Ice Dance:

Meryl and Charlie FD-Just beautiful
Crone/Poirier OD & FD-Love this team.

I missed the men's competition today but from what I read in the men's lp thread Patrick was the clear winner and Evan skated great too. I can't wait to see both of these programs.

psycho

On the Ice
The judging (especially in men )was absolute garbage. I am canadian, and I was embarrassed. Shameful overscoring of Canadians seriously needs to stop. Now.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Chan has been added to my list of favourite male skaters this season and of course I´m very glad of his win, which he sure deserved. But I think that he did not quite deserve those huge PCS (quite a lot Canada extra there) and also the technical scores were perhaps a liiittle bit too high, in my opinion.

As a skating fan I sure hope that in the Olympics there will be a fairer judging regarding skaters from various countries. I can though understand that there will be huge expectations to finally get a Canadian men´s Olympic champion and this competition unfortunatelly already shows an unfair build-up for it of what will happen in 2010 Olympics.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
First 3 exuberant posters in the thread -- Canadian. Nuff said. :rofl:

I know you are not pleased about "unfair" judging. I completely disagree with you but it really doesn't matter because you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Anyways, I'm more excited about Cynthia's amazing competition. I haven't seen her skate like that in awhile! I'm also excited about Jeremy and Vaughn's great skates. I knew the medallists could pull it off, but those three pleasantly surprised me!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the skaters who got PBs, SBs, and medals - and to those who just went out there and tried to do their best, especially the people from countries without a great skating tradition who know they're not going to challenge for the podium. There are a lot of skaters who should be proud of what they accomplished over the last few days. :clap:

Well done to Vancouver for what was apparently a very good dress rehersal.

And thumbs down to the judges for underscoring, overscoring, and generally making a mess of the marks, even if they got the placements right :scratch:.

merrybari

Final Flight
Congratulations to all the skaters who got PBs, SBs, and medals - and to those who just went out there and tried to do their best, especially the people from countries without a great skating tradition who know they're not going to challenge for the podium. There are a lot of skaters who should be proud of what they accomplished over the last few days. :clap:

And thumbs down to the judges for underscoring, overscoring, and generally making a mess of the marks, even if they got the placements right :scratch:.

Well said! And now it's on to the EX where everyone can skate for the fun of it, and we can watch for the same reason! The judges have left the building.

Last edited:
Speaking on the results, I thought the penultimate group was more in line with good sporting skating than the stars in the Final Group.

J Ten, V. Chipeur, Li, and Wu were more interesting to watch as winners than
Brandon, Jeremy and Nobinari.

Of course Patrick and Evan were special. JMO

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Please take your negative energy somewhere else...

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I don't see the problem with their post. The judging in this even was a little..odd. I really don't understand how a program with a popped 3A came within 2 points of beating Jeffrey Buttle's FS at worlds last year.

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The judging (especially in men )was absolute garbage. I am canadian, and I was embarrassed. Shameful overscoring of Canadians seriously needs to stop. Now.

Count me in as another disgruntled Canuck who is unhappy over the judges' scoring. :scowl:

Well said! :yes:

skatingbc

Final Flight
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I don't see the problem with their post. The judging in this even was a little..odd. I really don't understand how a program with a popped 3A came within 2 points of beating Jeffrey Buttle's FS at worlds last year.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I acknowledge that maybe there were some judging discrepancies, but none of the discrepancies would have caused a different outcome, IMO.

I'm tired of hearing people whine about results. I'm also tired of hearing people say things like "predetermined canadian score". I don't think it's fair to say that the only reason the Canadian team did well is because the event was held in Canada.

Four Continents has come a long way in just a few years. It used to be that we had to dredge up a few B list skaters to fill the roster because the top guys and gals would rather stay home.

Now it is a hotly contested championship right up there with Europeans in interest and importance. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, MM. I think the only reason we saw the turn out of 'stars' that we did was because of the location and it's so close to the Olympics...

Kypma

Final Flight
I dunno, MM. I think the only reason we saw the turn out of 'stars' that we did was because of the location and it's so close to the Olympics...

I thought the turn out improved a few seasons ago because of the newly instituted ISU prize money at the end of the season for the skaters and teams who racked up the most competition points at the end of the season -- 2 GP's (or 1 GP and the Final), 4CC or Europeans, Worlds (or Olympics) and optional selected international competitions. I think that's what pushed she skaters to attend 4CC -- though, I agree, this year there was the extra incentive that the competition would take place in the Olympic arena.

-kypma

Tigger

Final Flight
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I acknowledge that maybe there were some judging discrepancies, but none of the discrepancies would have caused a different outcome, IMO.

I'm tired of hearing people whine about results. I'm also tired of hearing people say things like "predetermined canadian score". I don't think it's fair to say that the only reason the Canadian team did well is because the event was held in Canada.

Thank you for saying that. There's posting your own opinion and then there's whining about something. Also the Canadian bashing around here that happened this week was beyond disgusting and over the top. Give it a rest already.

I don't deny those scores were too high, but they've been going in that direction all season. I didn't think Kawagchi and Smirnov deserved the marks they got at SC in the SP. They were deserving of first place there, but not that high of marks. It's happening and there's not much we can do about it, so as long as the result is the right one, then...What's the problem?