Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Stojko Not Competing

Go NJ Devils

Elvis Stojko Not Competing

A poster on FSU found and posted the following link from the Skate Canada site, in which Stojko announced his decision not to compete again as an eligible skater.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/press/index.html

Then click the "September 26" link.

Custom Title

Elvis....

This is very disappointing and sad. It must be very difficult for Elvis to give up his quest to return to eligible skating.

I for one, am thankful for Elvis and his huge contribution to skating so far and surely look forward to seeing him in the future.

Dizzy

Michelle Kwan Fan
    He will be missed as an eligible skater, for sure. :(

HOLY MOLY

I am kinda relieved to hear this. I think it might have been a little sad to see Elvis compete this year...to see him fight against his aging body, injuries, quads he can no longer consistently do, and men ten years younger than him with 3 quads in a program.

I think his reinstatment was a result of his not being able to accept that he would never have Olympic gold. As Toller Cranston once said, sometimes the god decide that its not in your cards. And it was just that way. Nonetheless, Elvis had an OUTSTANDING amateur career and has done so much for skating in Canada. (Hes the reason I first started watching skating waaaay back in 92.) Elvis you have made Canada proud. I think he should look at Kurt Browning to see that there is life beyond the Olympics.

I cannot wait to see him in the professional world and sure his pro careeer will be a sucess.

I'm not surprised that he isn't... but then again I am...

I mean, seriously, who thought Elvis would really retire? :rolleyes:

Well, that's a shame, but I suppose he was trying to recapture his glory days and realized he just didn't have what it takes.

I guess Elvis has finally left the building.
    :sheesh: :\

Not easy to get back in shape after a long pause. Few Tennis Players have been able to do it. Only Agassi stands out as a winner.

Joe

Medalist
    I congratulate Elvis for this decision.
    It´s hard to realize yourself that the time is over.
    When he did his last competitions (olys and worlds)he already was over his zenith.
    I hope he will find a meaningful satisfied job for his future.

Not easy to get back in shape after a long pause. Few Tennis Players have been able to do it. Only Agassi stands out as a winner.
    and the boxer Muhammed Ali

Alina

Custom Title
    Good bye, Elvis.

You may have left the building, but you will never leave our hearts.

Hey, Joe. Don't forget Jennifer Capriati's comeback.

It is a shame about Elvis. I enjoyed his competitive skates more than his exhibition skating.

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    I just wish Elvis' competitive nature wouldn't have made him over train and then leave his body open to viruses by being run down. I think it's a good thing that Elvis is returning to the pro ranks. He'll have less opportunity to over do it for the sake of competition. Elvis is just simply an addictive competitor and there's no middle ground in Elvis' heart. Either he goes beyond the beyond to get where he wants or he takes himself out of the competition one way or another. Good for Elvis for choosing the wiser more intelligent thing to do even if it feels disappointing at the moment. I hope he realizes that no Olympic Gold medal or World medal is worth loosing his life over and he's better for his recent choice. God Bless Elvis

Custom Title
    Pairs skaters, e.g. Rodnina and Gordeeva have come back after they had a baby, and even won the Olympic gold. Gordeeva & Grinkov also turned pro, and came back.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-28-2003 at 12:43 AM.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    I wish him all the best for the future, but I won't miss him at all.

Anke

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by alina
    I congratulate Elvis for this decision.
    It's hard to realize yourself that the time is over.
    When he did his last competitions (olys and worlds) he already was over his zenith.
    I hope he will find a meaningful satisfied job for his future...
    Alina
    Very well put and ITA, Alina. You could say Elvis is "addicted" to competing or your could also say that Elvis was born with the "competition" gene. We really don't know what drives some people on and on in their competitions, and as such for myself I can't cast it in either a positive or negative light. People are different. I was dubious when Elvis announced he was returning to eligible competition because of his history of injuries and how much the sport has evolved, not to mention his age. Moving on for athletes such as Elvis is very difficult. We might see it as, "Oh, poor baby," but in dance, at least in New York, it was realized some 15 years ago that all the NY ballet, modern, and musical theater dancers are lucky if they can keep dancing till they're 30 or 35. Most have little or no college and especially some of the most talented ballerinas finished high school on the fly and are not prepared for college. Thus New York City has the Dancer Transition Center where psychologists, career counselors, and a whole range of professionals help both female and male dancers help move forward with their lives. Some stay in dance as teachers and choreographers; some star partly in dance as physical therapists, trainers, or psychologists specializing in dance medicine; and some go into completely new careers, everything from journalism to chemistry. I worked at the Dancer Transition Center for a short while about 10 years ago and one of the things that I thought helped the dancers the most was simply being around other dancers who had been through or were going through the same thng they were. It would be nice if skaters had something similar. Very few of them have the money and name recognition of an Elvis Stojko. Most working skaters are with shows such as Disney on Ice. They have families and have to pay the bills too when they can no longer skate. The skating world is so insular that it's hard to have a good perspective of what your options really are and what it will take to achieve whatever goal you set in terms of things such as education and work experience.

Good luck Elvis!
    Rgirl

Rinkside

Post It is difficult retiring....

I agree with Rgirl in that figure skating should have something for its athlete to ease the transition with retiring. In Skatetalk Debbie Wilkes (1964 bronze medalist in pairs) talks about how was for her to retire

"I think I was 11, the first time I was on a international team-that to me it was just a lark. It was something I just kind of thought that everyone did. All the travel, all the wonderful friends you meet- I thought that was just a normal way of living.

"The difficult time came after I retired, naturally. Because I was letting the skating friendships slip and I didn't have other friends to take their place. I really didn't have any school friends outside of one girl.

"So in letting my skating community slide, there was a huge hole in my life, and I would say for a couple of years I was pretty bitter about the whole thing. I thought it was unfair how champions were just discarded. I actually thought that people liked me, and it wasn't that way at all. It took me a couple of years to figure out that there is a kind of fickleness in the world, where people like to talk to people they think are famous or important. It really has nothing to do with who you are. And I found that very difficult to handle, somehow."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast