New Hersh Article: Gains for Zhang and Lysacek | Golden Skate

New Hersh Article: Gains for Zhang and Lysacek

Caroline Zhang's free skate could be a transformational moment in her senior-level career. No matter how you looked at it, the 15-year-old Californian moved with far more confidence and speed than she had at any event since her brilliant 2007 junior season. This may have been good enough only for fourth, behind three contenders for world medals, but it was a big step upward for Zhang,...

:rock: :yes:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link, DarkestMoon.

What kind of sport goes backward technically?
Define "technically". Seriously though, no sport does that, to my knowledge. But there must be a reason why so many ppl suddenly embrace subjectivity.

Mao Asada of Japan and Kim Yu-Na of South Korea
Isn't it either Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, or Asada Mao and Kim Yu-Na?

Isn't it either Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, or Asada Mao and Kim Yu-Na?

I think Koreans always put the family name first, while Japanese usually adapt to the conventions of the country they are in. In the Western press you almost never see a Japanese name given family name first, althoiugh this is usual in Japan itself.

I did notice, though, that it was Asada Mao at the Four Continents coverage on Canadian TV (pronounced, in the Canadian fashion, Uh-SAD-uh instead of uh-SAUD-uh.) :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Kim Yu Na was introduced in the arena as "Yu Na Kim". During NBC's coverage of SA the commentators and graphics referred to her as "Kim Yu Na".

Glad to see Hersh take a positive note from the women's comp...I agree, it was a great skate for Zhang, it was almost like she had something to prove after just missing out on the senior World team. That's about the only positive thing though. The rest doesn't look that great.

He's coming around to be quite knowledgeable. He has good opinions. I particularly like his preface and claiming LIVE is better than TV and Web. If you've watched baseball on TV and on another day you were at the Stadium, it is two different ball games. Figure Skating too, imo. I believe it is the atmosphere as well as everything else he says.

1. Evan is a fighter. He looked like he should hang up his skates after the GPs but no! The poor skating vanished in 4CC. I think Nichol's modfied version of TT's choreo gave him the push to actually perform as well as just skate. Patrick will challenge him but the Quad Club is Joubert, Ponsero,Werner, and Lysacek. (maybe Mroz and Abbott) The iffy quad skaters must use strategy. I predict someone will nail a perfect quad and skate clean.

2. Caroline is a very special skater and one who works hard. her time will come.

3. He did not mention Rachael.

4. He is quite correct, imo, of the two top Ladies being 1 and 2 in whatever order. but I do not see a memorable performance from either at Worlds or Olys. Maybe but only maybe Joannie, the expected bronze medalist. or is it Carolina?

5. I agree, as lovely as skate dance is I don't see it as a Sport, but I do see it as a Pagaent and pagaents do judge the talent.

I've watched Apollo on Universal Sport, and I believe his glory days are gone.

As for Downhill Skiing, The Mother of All Winter Sports.my hero, Bode Miller will probably get tanked on the eve of his Race. However, Erin Hamlin and the Luge is worth a watch on that icy track.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree that it was great seeing the two most hypocritical skaters of the U.S be happy with their skates at 4CC. I just made me happy.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree that it was great seeing the two most hypocritical skaters of the U.S be happy with their skates at 4CC. I just made me happy.

Which 2 skaters are hypocrites??? [looking for the confused smiley]

Wait a minute, I think I get what you mean.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^Tiny, I think you meant skaters who are very critical and hard on themselves, wanting to do well, right?