Dorothy Hamill is at Westminster | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill is at Westminster

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just saw her in the crowd at Westminster. Am watching it on CNBC... they pointed her out and mentioned she's an olympic champ. Sadly no mention of NBC Universal partner networks hosting Worlds next month. Perfect opportunity NBC and you screw it up! BLAH!

But, yay for random skater sighting!

and Mary what's her name from Olympic Ice (she's a Tennis Star, right?) is commentating this thing... my *favorite* color commentator. blah.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
having an affinity for dogs and knowing a bit about conformation, I'm disappointed they chose her to commentate. She knows very little and does nothing to add to the show. There use to be an older gentleman whose name escapes me - gray/silver hair, short, round glasses that often reported with David Frie (who is currently commentating). I miss him.

As I always say, any dog but the poodle, peke, pom or yorkie and I'll be happy. I'd be esp. happy if it was a sporting breed, over the moon if it was a Wirehaired Pointing Griffin and absolutely beside myself if it was a Clumber Spaniel.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
having an affinity for dogs and knowing a bit about conformation, I'm disappointed they chose her to commentate. She knows very little and does nothing to add to the show. There use to be an older gentleman whose name escapes me - gray/silver hair, short, round glasses that often reported with David Frie (who is currently commentating). I miss him.

As I always say, any dog but the poodle, peke, pom or yorkie and I'll be happy. I'd be esp. happy if it was a sporting breed, over the moon if it was a Wirehaired Pointing Griffin and absolutely beside myself if it was a Clumber Spaniel.

Aww, c'mon, no need to worry. Though not showing at Westminster due to a conflict of interest, Holly (pointer Ch. Cookieland Seaside Hollyberry) just went BIS at the Eukanuba AKC National Championship, and finished second in the AKC standings for 2008 to first place Giant Schnauzer Ch. Galilee's Pure of Spirit, so the sporting dogs are definitely getting some love these days, as well as the working dogs and hounds.

And of course Uno, last year's BIS beagle, has become quite a star.

I realize your group is the Sporting Group, but breed shows haven't been all about the toys (or poodles of any size) at all lately. It's been quite the mix!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just once I'd like to see the pug get pulled for the toy group... I think that happened a few years ago... but still... they never get any love.

and in non-sporting they may as well not even bother at Westminster. It's ALWAYS the poodle!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just once I'd like to see the pug get pulled for the toy group... I think that happened a few years ago... but still... they never get any love.

and in non-sporting they may as well not even bother at Westminster. It's ALWAYS the poodle!

Well, if Randenn Tristar Affirmation "Yes" doesn't win group 1st it will be an upset this year.

I wish poodles were shown in sporting/field trims!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't even know if I'll watch tonight, last night I went all dog crazy with the "I want I want I want" and my aunt made me turn it off (I didn't I just muted the TV lol).

I want a Boston Bull and a French Bulldog so bad now... I love flat faced little dogs... gotta love those squishy faces!

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I don't even know if I'll watch tonight, last night I went all dog crazy with the "I want I want I want" and my aunt made me turn it off (I didn't I just muted the TV lol).

I want a Boston Bull and a French Bulldog so bad now... I love flat faced little dogs... gotta love those squishy faces!

I love the Bulldogs too. And they hardly ever win their group, not that I've seen recently. Maybe once.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Toni, I know you're a country music fan. Did you notice the owners of the Welsh Springer Spaniel that won Best of Breed? Vince Gill and Amy Grant!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not a big fan of either of them, but no I didn't see that. very cool.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Now, now, now. The beagle won a couple years ago. You can't get more Sporting than that. (I love beagles. I had one once...and he is my all time favorite dog.)

antmanb

Record Breaker
the pug wuz robbed!!!!!

My friends have a little pug puppy that must be about 15 weeks old now! He is very cute but seems to scare the living daylights out of my two dogs! Strangely enough i thought of your pug when they brought him round!

Ant

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ The pug Shoboat Tu China Tu is doing very well and is a top ten dog:thumbsup:.

For BIS, the Giant Schnauzer never put a paw wrong and the Puli was practically glowing. I really think one of them deserved it. It's nice the Sussex is a veteran and all but he is to me kind of a blah winner. Nowhere near the charisma of last year's winner, the Beagle Uno, who has really become a beloved ambassador for purebred dogs.

Horse shows, dog shows, skating -- now WHY couldn't I be drawn to at least one sport that isn't judged????

Funny, though, although I've competed in horse shows, dog agility, and dog obedience, I've only once had a real gripe with a judge and she really was subpar -- failed to Not Qualify a dog that went off course, had her own idiosyncratic penalty system contraindicated by the rules, etc.

I'll bet most of our skaters are also more accepting of the judges' decisions than fans are!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Now, now, now. The beagle won a couple years ago. You can't get more Sporting than that. (I love beagles. I had one once...and he is my all time favorite dog.)

Actually, Uno the beagle just won last year, not a few years ago. ;)

I actually watched this for the last two nights which is shocking since I'm definitely a cat person and not a dog person at all, LOL :laugh: It was a great show though and I loved the Sussex Spaniel who won last night. He's beautiful and has such a great demeanor and I LOVE a great comeback story! I'm so happy for him and his owners. :agree: