What's going on in the world of italian figure skating | Golden Skate

What's going on in the world of italian figure skating

eleonora.d

On the Ice
What's going on in the world of italian figure skating.
http://filoecontrofilo.blogspot.com/2009/02/whats-going-on-in-world-of-italian.html

The main reason why I wrote this article is because there were some people in this forum asking questions about italian skaters. I'm glad there is some interest for the italian athlets.
Another reason is that I have to pratice the language :chorus:. So, I am sorry if there are some mistakes.

Carolina Kostner, Cappellini / Lanotte, Faiella Scali all came back home and continue their regular traning, but there are some news about the others.

Magitteri / Hotarek splitted in January.

Magitteri/Hotarek's split happened right after Euros, event they could not attend as Laura injured her ankle during Nationals back in December 2008.
I guess Hotarek was searching for an higher level partner as Laura is a good skater but very often had problems with the jump elements (especially the 2axel).

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thanks for the update on the italian skaters.

I remember Magitteri / Hotarek at Skate America in 2007 in Reading PA. He spent the entire practice session yelling at her in Italian and then when they got to the other side of the rink he yelled at her in English where no one could really hear but we did. I can't really repeat what he was saying here but let's just say it included may curse words and the f bomb. She was crying. I thought to myself how could they even skate together when it looks like they don't even like each other.

champs

Final Flight
Thanks Eleonora for the info and the links. I feel for Magitteri, it must have been a real shock to her. I thought it was the Italian skating federation who made the decision but according to her interview I guess not. She sounded very classy in that interview, I wish her good luck with her future endeavor, though she didn't say what she wanted to do as far as her cometitive career goes. I didn't know about the double axel thing, but I read elsewhere that Hotarek's new pairing had something to do with Magitteri's height, that he probably needed/wanted someone who's shorter/smaller, but I don't know if that is true.

I enjoyed Berton's skating she has a nice catchfoot spin. I especially liked her LP to Ryuichi Sakamoto medley two seasons ago because I'm a fan of his music. I wonder why she doesn't continue ice dancing instead of going into pairs but I guess pairs is the discipline that she as well as the people around her think she will excell in the most.

A friend of mine told me that Marchei had a falling-out with Mauri after she switched her coach to Morozov and that she had been practicing under the guidance of a former dance coach of Faiella/Scali since then whenever she's back in Italy. I don't know what that implies in terms of her training under Philippe Trente. I wonder if her decision to move to Hackensack was a good one, but I hope she will not have to regret it.

ETA - thanks sillylionlove for the story. Hmm... I hope it's just this particluar partnership b/w Hotarek and Magitteri that didn't go well and hopefully he won't have the same kind of problem with Berton.

Last edited:

Eurofan

On the Ice
Thanks, Eleonora. The official announcement was particularly interesting. One week was all it took?! Language question (my Oxford Paravia failed me): doppi lanciati = throw double twists?

eleonora.d

On the Ice
doppi lanciati simply means double throw jumps.
Twists are just called twists. I hope I'll translate it soon, but I don't know if I'll have some time left to do it in the next few days, in the meanwhile feel free to ask me anything.

Eurofan

On the Ice
doppi lanciati simply means double throw jumps.
Twists are just called twists. I hope I'll translate it soon, but I don't know if I'll have some time left to do it in the next few days, in the meanwhile feel free to ask me anything.

Tante grazie.