AEGON Challenge Cup | Golden Skate

AEGON Challenge Cup

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
4-8 of March 2009, The Hague

Entries, among others:

men: Brian Joubert, Samuel Contesti, Yannick Ponsero.
ladies: Jenna McCorkel

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've read that Kevin van der Perren is also going (makes sense, esp. if Jenna is skating there). That's the top four guys from this year's Europeans! Should be a pretty cool event to watch.

Eevun

Final Flight
Kristoffer Berntsson's coming as well. Adrian Schultheiss planned to go, but broke a skate at the Nordics practice last weekend, and had to withdrawn Nordics and the Challenge Cup.

Eevun

Final Flight
Broke a skate?! Wow.
Yes, really bad :/ He got new skates this season and had a foot injury due to that. Now he has to got new skates again, just a month before Worlds...

From Absolute Skating
He had pulled a muscle and was slightly injured.

“My boot came apart during practice last night”, he explained. “I was wondering why it was so hard to do the flip and Lutz; now I know. I'll be fine in a few days, but I have to buy new boots and break them in. I don't know how long that will take, but I've cancelled my participation in the Challenge Cup, I need to concentrate on getting ready for Worlds”.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The official site doesn't mention KvdP
http://www.knsb.nl/KNSB-nieuws/vervolg_ndb.asp?id=6412. It still can change, of course.
I didn't read it anywhere official, just on some forum. I imagine if he was entered they'd list him, who wouldn't want to publicize having the entire Euros podium skate at their event? I knew Brian and yannick were definite because it was announced a few days ago by FFSG, and of course Contesti won a medal in it last year.

It's a strong field - with some very entertaining skaters! I hope some of it will end up on Youtube.

ETA: I thought Contesti won last year but now I'm not sure. Does anyone remember?

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
KVDP said he wanted to go because he wanted to put the Quad back in before Worlds. I don't know if he changed that decision...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thanks, Hsuhs! I see Contesti did win the LP. Maybe that's what confused me? Anyway, I hope the winner this year will score more than 197.75 :).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anybody know if any Americans are going?
Yes, USFS is sending 4 young skaters that did well at Nationals to their first international competition -- they are: Laney Diggs (10th in Senior Ladies), DeeDee Leng and Ellie Kawamura (1st and 2nd in Junior Ladies, respectively) and Novice men's champ Joshua Farris. Leng, Kawamura and Farris will all compete as juniors.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Yes, USFS is sending 4 young skaters that did well at Nationals to their first international competition -- they are: Laney Diggs (10th in Senior Ladies), DeeDee Leng and Ellie Kawamura (1st and 2nd in Junior Ladies, respectively) and Novice men's champ Joshua Farris. Leng, Kawamura and Farris will all compete as juniors.

Thank you!!! I really hope Laney Digg's does well, she really impressed me at nationals this year.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kevin van der Perren is on the list. If he's going, why wasn't it announced on their home page, along with the other top 4 guys from Euros?

I noticed both Adrian Schultheiss and Kristoffer Berntsson are listed - does anyone know if they're actually going to participate? And Jenni Vahamaa, too - I hope she'll will be in good enough shape.

ETA
: thanks for the link, vancouver!

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
I noticed both Adrian Schultheiss and Kristoffer Berntsson are listed - does anyone know if they're actually going to participate? And Jenni Vahamaa, too - I hope she'll will be in good enough shape.

Kristoffer Berntsson's coming as well. Adrian Schultheiss planned to go, but broke a skate at the Nordics practice last weekend, and had to withdrawn Nordics and the Challenge Cup.
Dunno if Sweden will send someone instead of Adrian.

Stefan Lindemann is going!! :love:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
5 Euros the day ticket? 5 tiny Euros? :love:

Too bad the men's freeskate is so late in the evening. Is there some really cheap youth hostel in Den Haag?