Looking for new training home. | Golden Skate

Looking for new training home.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
Hey all,

I am currently looking for a new training home. The club that i was skating at shut down due to lack of funds and now i've been out of skating for nine months, i'm currently looking for a new training home.

If anyone knows of a figure skating club in the US with a host family program, or something of the such please let me know cuz i'm willing to relocate anywhere in the US to do this.

FYI about me: I am an 18-year-old south Texas Male skater, who has dreamed of gold since I was 10 but my parents lack of cooperation and support prevented me from starting skating until i was 16. (which is unfortunate, its hard not to beat myself up for it at times when i see how good i could be)
I have been skating on and off for two years, basically on and off due to the club that i was with's skating is only six months out of the year and ice time very limited so the off times were never a choice of my own and during the six hours of ice time a month that i was allowed while skating with them in a year and a half time i was able to do three different double jumps and a consistent axel, and of course now with no ice time (I went back on new years eve to the rink 2 1/2 hours away) to practice and I can't do them anymore for now. I think that i can take any club a long way with a decent amount of training time. With the limited that i had, after just four months of skating and maybe only 20 hours of ice (if that) in all, i landed my first single axel and then the three doubles came along the next season and the axel was consistified. My Spins need a lot of work, but the foundation is there and i want to learn footwork so bad lol..

So I am seeking a good club with good coaching and a change in area.
Having such a late start, my goal is just to get as far as i can on the amateur stage and hopefully in the future win an Adult National and World title if the amateur ranks don't work out (which i hope they do).

If anyone knows of any club with a host family program or is looking for a room mate in a town/city with a rink please let me know on here and email me about it: [email protected]

any help will definately be appreciated.

--Thomas

backspin

On the Ice
Are you looking for someone to actually fund your skating, or just a place to skate where you can stay with a host family?

I'd suggest deciding who you want to work with (as far as coaching) and contact that coach directly. But I wouldn't expect any funding at this point; it's just not realistic.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
no i'm just looking to stay with a host family/ room mate or whatever, It will be difficult but I will generate the funding myself. Yeah I know its not realistic, believe me my former coaches tried after they saw how far i was progressing and sponsors want competition results before they fork over any money that's just the way that is, i'm just looking to relocate that's all. Right now i am not getting any ice time at all, so just as long as i can stay somewhere where i can skate two to three hours a day, i can support that myself and just be okay with that.

vlaurend

Final Flight
What are your plans as far as college, etc? If you are 18, you'll be graduating this year, right? And because you are now a legal adult, you can move anywhere you want as long as you can work, get student loans, etc. . .

gsrossano

Final Flight
It might help to tell people what level you are competing at, tests passed, whether you have competed at a regionals yet, etc.

Also if you are big enough and have the interest, pair boys are always in demand, and you might find a pair girl whose family will pay the bills.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you're 18, you would need to skate at novice level (or higher) in the standard qualifying system. It doesn't sound as though you're quite at that skill level yet, although with another year or two of serious training you might get there.

Good luck with your search for a place to live and train.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
yeah I think that I found some place, but thanks for the help guys. Yeah, well i'm going to move to the one that's two and a half hours from where I live.

Yeah I think that with a year of serious training I could skate novice right now, I haven't passed any tests cuz my old club never let me cuz I didn't have a way to get to the tests so yeah but this time i'm going to do it and do it the right way.

But it shouldn't be too hard seeing as I have doubles well had but i'm sure i can get them back soon.