Toronto Star Olympics Article W/Golden Skate Quote Used In It!! | Golden Skate

Toronto Star Olympics Article W/Golden Skate Quote Used In It!!

Tigger

Final Flight
In Randy Starkman's Blog today, he talks about the possiblity of Canadian fans being outscreamed by the fans from other countries. A quote about Joannie being the hometown favourite at 4CC, but getting what sounded like lukewarm support compared w/what Yu-Na experienced and in what was Joannie's home rink for lack of a better term, over from the 4CC Forum here was used in his article today.

To read the article, here's the link...

Toronto Star ~ Randy Starkman's Olympic Blog ~ Could Canada Get Outcheered At It's Own Olympics?

Onlyhope

Rinkside
I like YunA and Joannie
Scherazade and Aranjues.:laugh: Good music.:agree:

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Does Canada not want Asian fans to come to the Olympics? Because thats the impression I get after reading another similar article: http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/s...0209.wsptskate9/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

Since a good 2/3rds of our population is Asian and resides in Richmond near the Speedskating Oval - I doubt that.

The reason it seemed like people from other countries were outscreaming Canadians at the Four Continents is that half the audience was Korean in support of Yuna Kim. We have a large Korean population here as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my profs would be screaming at the use of something said on a message board as a 'real quote' in an article :laugh:

Tonichelle said:
my profs would be screaming at the use of something said on a message board as a 'real quote' in an article

Toni, Toni, Toni! This isn't "something said on a message board." It's a quote from the very official and authoritative article by Golden Skate reporter and journalist Elvin Walker, published on the prestigious figure skating on-line resource Golden Skate main page! :)

Does Canada not want Asian fans to come to the Olympics? Because thats the impression I get after reading another similar article...

It does give that impression. Aren't the Olympics supposed to be all about international brotherhood, etc?

Well, at least everyone can agree to cheer for Patrick Chan -- a Canadian born in Ottawa, of Chinese ancestry.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Since a good 2/3rds of our population is Asian and resides in Richmond near the Speedskating Oval - I doubt that.

The reason it seemed like people from other countries were outscreaming Canadians at the Four Continents is that half the audience was Korean in support of Yuna Kim. We have a large Korean population here as well.

Yes. A friend of mine from Korea visited Vancouver and she was amazed. She loved the comfort of living in Korea away from Korea, including being able to go to Korean franchise restaurants and not having to speak English to get by in the city. And then she gawked at some token white people (she referred to them as foreigners) going by once in a blue moon. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, Toni, Toni! This isn't "something said on a message board." It's a quote from the very official and authoritative article by Golden Skate reporter and journalist Elvin Walker.

ah, I was confused and hadn't read the article for myself. my bad.

and if so then I hope they got permission to use it.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Yes. A friend of mine from Korea visited Vancouver and she was amazed. She loved the comfort of living in Korea away from Korea, including being able to go to Korean franchise restaurants and not having to speak English to get by in the city. And then she gawked at some token white people (she referred to them as foreigners) going by once in a blue moon. :biggrin:

:laugh: You always have the funniest stories.

Tigger

Final Flight
I didn't understand the quote wasn't from the MB portion, but from an article on the front page. Sorry about that!!

This article was well written about how there were more people screaming for Yu-Na than for Joannie, Cynthia and Amelie combined. That piece of garbage that was printed in yesterday's Globe and Mail OTOH deserves to be used as the lining for the bottom of a bird's cage and perhaps, it's not even good enough for that!! :(

If we have full faith and trust in the Judges scores, there is no reason to worry about this. or is there? The unanswerable question: Does the roar of the crowd affect the judges' scores?

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
.... The unanswerable question: Does the roar of the crowd affect the judges' scores?

After years of observing figure skating both live and on TV, I would definitely have to say "yes". It does affect the judges' scores. That is just a fact, to me, that is part of the sport. This sport has a lot of luck in it, as do most others. One of the luck factors is how the audience reacts to a skater and their program. Another luck factor is if the airlines lose or don't lose skates, or deliver them on time, if they are misplaced. There are many luck factors in this sport. Even the audience reaction is a factor that has multiple parts to it. Does the audience like the music, is one example. Is a significantly large part of the audience loudly rooting for a skater because of national origin, is another. How much does the audience know about skating skills, is another. Is the audience applauding for drama and attitude, is another. Not all audiences have similar composition, too. It depends on multiple factors (there we are with those darn factors again lol), such as location of the event, date of the event, cost and availability of good seats, who will be skating in the event, etc. The composition of the audience itself is influenced by many things, and the reaction of the audience, again, is influenced by many things. There is simply no way to make it all objective and equally supportive of all skaters. It is what it is.

I am glad that eastern Asia is participating in figure skating so whole-heartedly. Various skaters have mentioned how responsive and enthusiastic audiences have been for them when they performed in Asia. I think that an uninhibited show of support does help skaters.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It does give that impression. Aren't the Olympics supposed to be all about international brotherhood, etc?
Math, Math, Math in 2009 you dare to use a world like "BROTHERHOOD?" I am shocked.

Math, Math, Math in 2009 you dare to use a world like "BROTHERHOOD?" I am shocked.
But how do you explain, "From sea to shining sea" while crowning thy good with people hood? :scratch:

After years of observing figure skating both live and on TV, I would definitely have to say "yes". It does affect the judges' scores. That is just a fact, to me, that is part of the sport. This sport has a lot of luck in it, as do most others. One of the luck factors is how the audience reacts to a skater and their program. Another luck factor is if the airlines lose or don't lose skates, or deliver them on time, if they are misplaced. There are many luck factors in this sport. Even the audience reaction is a factor that has multiple parts to it. Does the audience like the music, is one example. Is a significantly large part of the audience loudly rooting for a skater because of national origin, is another. How much does the audience know about skating skills, is another. Is the audience applauding for drama and attitude, is another. Not all audiences have similar composition, too. It depends on multiple factors (there we are with those darn factors again lol), such as location of the event, date of the event, cost and availability of good seats, who will be skating in the event, etc. The composition of the audience itself is influenced by many things, and the reaction of the audience, again, is influenced by many things. There is simply no way to make it all objective and equally supportive of all skaters. It is what it is.

I am glad that eastern Asia is participating in figure skating so whole-heartedly. Various skaters have mentioned how responsive and enthusiastic audiences have been for them when they performed in Asia. I think that an uninhibited show of support does help skaters.
In a neutral country, the roar went for both Buttle and Joubert. I could not distinguish the differece in amplitude. But I do think it does have an affect in scoring.:agree:

A lot can be said for 'luck'., but it does not affect the scores. It does point out the hazzards of outside problems.

In the case of Asian fans,one has to rely on the judges. Ethnic populace will go in immigrant countries, but not entirely, imo.

Last edited by a moderator: